Buy Brownie Points
Forumwarz is the first "Massively Single-Player" online RPG completely built around Internet culture.

You are currently looking at Flamebate, our community forums. Players can discuss the game here, strategize, and role play as their characters.

You need to be logged in to post and to see the uncensored versions of these forums.

Civil Discussion
Switch to Role-Playing Civil Discussion
Video Games Cranky Cat: JB's mobile gaming project

Jalapeno Boo-
tyhole

Avatar: 44 2012-11-06 12:31:55 -0500

[Crotch Zombie]

Level 44 Emo Kid

I had the first bum avatar.

Hey Forumwarriorz,

As you know, ET and I have non-Forumwarz-related day jobs. Sometimes, we get to work on fun stuff, like games.

My company’s produced a casual bubble-popping puzzle game called Cranky Cat, and I’m inordinately proud of how it’s turned out — especially since there’s wasn’t a whole lot of writing involved! But I actually find it quite fun and addictive.

The description will explain it well enough, but if you want to try out a free browser version, it’s here.

We just launched our Android app (iOS and full web versions are coming soon), so if you want to try it on your Droid, you’ll be among the first users. Check it out.

Finally, if you don’t have a Droid and don’t want to install Unity, you can watch a quick demo here.

I wanted to recruit the FWZ community for testing, but we spent enough time on it internally that we think it’ll run smoothly. However, I’m hoping to hold some exclusive FWZ-friendly promotions and contests in the future.

This is kind of a test for me and my team — more mainstream, casual game dev — so we’re looking forward to seeing how sustainable it is. Of course, like everyone, we’re hoping for a hit. (And no, the name has nothing to do with Angry Birds. It is a coincidence.)

If you find any bugs or have feedback, you can contact us at gamesupport@marchentertainment.com. Hope you like it!

Chawin

Avatar: 146808 2012-12-30 22:05:41 -0500

[Deth Krew 2010]

Level 69 Hacker

Scared of death

idgaf what anyone says this looks like a p rad game an im sure as hell gonna download it if its free

Joseph of Su-
burbia

Avatar: 182182 2014-09-14 14:41:25 -0400

[Brainfreeze]

Level 69 Hacker

Foumwarz.com, Dev-free since 2012!

So what did you yourself contribute?

CrinkzPipe

Avatar: 35643 2015-02-20 21:59:22 -0500

[Harem and Sushi Bar]

Level 62 Emo Kid

Hi, I'm an adult whos into bumes. But not boners!

Pretty good timewaster. I would consider buying this. Even though I’m not sure what you did on it, good job.

Melanin-Enha-
nced Individ-
ual

Avatar: 174541 2012-01-02 15:34:06 -0500

[enjoy GANG]

Level 35 Troll

If I can write this, my whole life has been wasted. I'm worthless and awful.

question mr. drach, how come on the bio list for ur team ur literally right at the bottom? lmao

Melanin-Enha-
nced Individ-
ual

Avatar: 174541 2012-01-02 15:34:06 -0500

[enjoy GANG]

Level 35 Troll

If I can write this, my whole life has been wasted. I'm worthless and awful.

like theres no chance of it bein alphabetical because you’d be at the top on a last name basis, or at least in the middle if it were based on ur first name…

so im just going to bumume they went by how valuable each team member is???

sdgrbbum09

Avatar: 165234 2015-08-12 01:30:51 -0400

[A Beautiful Place -
Out in the Country
]

Level 69 Troll

I AM A BOVINE bum BAR

CrinkzPipe Posted:

Pretty good timewaster. I would consider buying this. Even though I’m not sure what you did on it, good job.

Did you see the top hat on the cat? All JB.

Inconnu

Avatar: 48966 2011-07-31 19:36:53 -0400

[The Scrotal Safety-
Commission
]

Level 69 Camwhore

Qui est cette chienne

It might’ve been another nice variation on Bejeweled/Lines etc. if only you guys could make a better job on graphics. From what I see, three different designers were working on it without any coordination.

First designer was a typical contemporary glossy-shmossy type of guy. He created the multicolored bubbles in a typical modern stylistic.

Second guy was a steampunk fan, who created a pretty poor background setting. Sorry guys, steampunk is all about zillions of beautiful tiny details, and this is just a bunch of rusty cogs, which have neither the appropriate 3D lightning nor even the decent rusty metal texture. I thought if you guys do Maya, you should know that render is only 10% of the job, the rest is Photoshop magic.

The final guy was an artist who created the cat illustration, both sketched and colored versions. Well, cat look “cranky” enough, but the part where that static illustration gets from the bottom-left corner without any other animation isn’t too impressive, unless you specifically wanted to make that good old Mortal Kombat “Toffee!” reference.

The rest is the bunch of pretty random elements. The plaque in cat’s hands along with the antiqua font probably were temporary placeholders and never got changed to anything else. The art deco font and “vintage” looking frames probably have nothing to deal with designers at all — looks like they are just copied from another shutterstock gallery. Problem is, steampunk and art deco are totally different styles, from different centuries even, and unfortunately work pretty poor together.

The only part which is really good is gameplay. It’s quite innovative and pretty interesting.

I apologize for critique, that’s just my honest professional opinion.

Jalapeno Boo-
tyhole

[Crotch Zombie]

Level 44 Emo Kid

Melanin-Enhanced Individual Posted:

question mr. drach, how come on the bio list for ur team ur literally right at the bottom? lmao

I was waiting for someone to bring this up. As the guy who puts together the bios and updates the copy on all our sites, I’ve consciously made the decision to list myself last. This is out of modesty…mostly false modesty.

Anyway, as for what I did on this game: I basically acted as a sort of producer. Lots little jobs while looking at the big picture, just like with Forumwarz. For instance, I just added a favicon. You always forget the favicon.

bobdisgea

Avatar: 88331 2015-08-08 07:14:08 -0400

[A Beautiful Place -
Out in the Country
]

Level 34 Emo Kid

See avatar for why Duca is fat and single

Inconnu Posted:

It might’ve been another nice variation on Bejeweled/Lines etc. if only you guys could make a better job on graphics. From what I see, three different designers were working on it without any coordination.

First designer was a typical contemporary glossy-shmossy type of guy. He created the multicolored bubbles in a typical modern stylistic.

Second guy was a steampunk fan, who created a pretty poor background setting. Sorry guys, steampunk is all about zillions of beautiful tiny details, and this is just a bunch of rusty cogs, which have neither the appropriate 3D lightning nor even the decent rusty metal texture. I thought if you guys do Maya, you should know that render is only 10% of the job, the rest is Photoshop magic.

The final guy was an artist who created the cat illustration, both sketched and colored versions. Well, cat look “cranky” enough, but the part where that static illustration gets from the bottom-left corner without any other animation isn’t too impressive, unless you specifically wanted to make that good old Mortal Kombat “Toffee!” reference.

The rest is the bunch of pretty random elements. The plaque in cat’s hands along with the antiqua font probably were temporary placeholders and never got changed to anything else. The art deco font and “vintage” looking frames probably have nothing to deal with designers at all — looks like they are just copied from another shutterstock gallery. Problem is, steampunk and art deco are totally different styles, from different centuries even, and unfortunately work pretty poor together.

The only part which is really good is gameplay. It’s quite innovative and pretty interesting.

I hate when i like things inconnu says.

But yeah cool JB you made bubble bobble.

spacekadt

Avatar: 16186 2011-11-01 00:02:40 -0400

[Brainfreeze]

Level 69 Camwhore

meh

GODDAMMITSONOFA****!

Not compatible with the mother ****ing goddamn Ally. Piece of **** phone.

But also, did you really have to make a game that wouldn’t run on the entire android platform Log in to see images!

Bandaney

Avatar: 70433 2014-06-07 22:10:47 -0400

[Grey Goose Mafiosi]

Level 60 Hacker

Ask me about how many male reproductive organs in my bum :zak:

i agree with inconnu so much i’m crying right now. in fact when i first opened the page i wanted to close it right away because of it’s horribleness. i’ll play now and i hope it’s better than it looks (aesthetically).

Chawin

Avatar: 146808 2012-12-30 22:05:41 -0500

[Deth Krew 2010]

Level 69 Hacker

Scared of death

fun but ugly

Jalapeno Boo-
tyhole

[Crotch Zombie]

Level 44 Emo Kid

spacekadt Posted:

GODDAMMITSONOFA****!

Not compatible with the mother ****ing goddamn Ally. Piece of **** phone.

But also, did you really have to make a game that wouldn’t run on the entire android platform Log in to see images!It doesn’t play on my phone either. My LG won’t support new versions of Android OS.

Adapt

Avatar: 58104 2015-06-13 23:16:37 -0400

[Grey Goose Mafiosi]

Level 48 Camwhore

Celerysteve is better than me in everyway imaginable

Inconnu Posted:

My favorite part was this critique.

Adapt

Avatar: 58104 2015-06-13 23:16:37 -0400

[Grey Goose Mafiosi]

Level 48 Camwhore

Celerysteve is better than me in everyway imaginable

Adapt Posted:

My favorite part was this critique.

xRAINBOWxPIK-
ACHUx

Avatar: 241263 2011-05-11 01:33:23 -0400

[Aperture Science I-
nnovators
]

Level 4 Camwhore

lol forumwarps

My guess is that JB wrote all the comedy parts.

Jalapeno Boo-
tyhole

[Crotch Zombie]

Level 44 Emo Kid

Yup, that’s me and Trout in the header of the March site. It’s a really old pic. But let’s try to stay on topic, okay?

I love salmon.

Jalapeno Boo-
tyhole

[Crotch Zombie]

Level 44 Emo Kid

Inconnu Posted:

It’s okay, this was actually a valid critique. Surprising, since we were all really impressed by the design, as were most of the people we showed it to. Maybe they were just being charitable. (Also, have you seen Forumwarz…?)

Anyway, there was actually one main designer for all the elements. He’s usually a 2D guy with an SFX background, and no Maya people worked on it. Personally, I like the contrast between the grimy background and the shiny game objects, but I can see why it might bother some. The “Toasty” cat popping in was the animation handiwork of our dev, who’d agree it’s crude and cheesy…but it’s kinda funny, so we kept it as is.

I also noticed the Deco elements, and that bugged me a little. I’m wondering how many steampunk purists will point that out. My explanation is that it’s steam new wave. If you had all these fanciful Victorian technologies decades earlier, then it’s plausible this game was in fact made in the ‘30s and they were just being retro-modern, see.

Internet Delay Chat
Have fun playing!
To chat with other players, you must Join Forumwarz or Log In now!