Buy Official Merchandise!
Forumwarz is the first "Massively Single-Player" online RPG completely built around Internet culture.

You are currently looking at Flamebate, our community forums. Players can discuss the game here, strategize, and role play as their characters.

You need to be logged in to post and to see the uncensored versions of these forums.

Civil Discussion
Switch to Role-Playing Civil Discussion
Request Name that obscure game/music/film/thing!

King Krimson

[Snobby McSnobbers-
ons
]

Level 69 Troll

A lot fo kewl boiz wer it ok!

Hello!

Do any of you have something in your past that only you remember? Cause I’ve got a ****-ton, most of which are video games. If any of you could help me figure out what these games are, that’d be awesome. Also, if any of you have something obscure that you can’t find anymore, feel free to post it in this thread so that others can do your hard work for you.

I have three things that come to mind, so I may as well make a numerical list. Poorly worded ramblings ahead!

EDIT: FOUND!

1. This first person giant deathtank sim. You drove around in an arena and shot guys, whereupon they died in a gruesome fashion. You could also get out of your tank and shoot guys with your chaingun, until you got beck into your tank or found a new one. The world was grimy and dark, and I couldn’t get past the first level. I think the name was ‘necro’ something, but I’m not sure. It came on a ‘50 greatest’ shareware disc which was sponsored by some PC magazine, possibly computer shopper or PC gamer.

2. This game was on the same disc, and was about a man who was possibly a robot. You walked around in first person and shot things, possibly aliens or robots. Interestingly, the screen was designed to look like a robot’s POV, with weird readouts and a kinda bluish tint. It was called ‘dominion’ or ‘domination’ or something. It definitely began with a ‘D’ at least. Actually, finding the name of the shareware disc may be best, as it had some cool things on there, like the exile series and a game where you were a driller in a dinosaur land.

3. This is the kicker, and the one that really stands out despite me knowing next to nothing about it. It was an early-ish 3d game, kinda like MDK. You could chose your character form a fairly small selection of guys, which included a big, burly man, a lizard-man, and a cat-woman. This made me think Batman when I went searching, but I couldn’t find any game where you could play as Batman villains. Very occasionally you shot at things, including one enemy that I remember looking kinda like a lobster. Each character had a specific level. I also remember that the lizard-man could whip things with his tail, which was useful for breaking glbum in his level.

Anyway, any bumistance would be appreciated. Thanks, and good luck!

King Krimson edited this message on 08/30/2010 5:25PM

aSh-gangSTA--

Avatar: 23493 2011-10-31 20:46:14 -0400

[And The Banned Pla-
yed On
]

Level 60 Emo Kid

The Delightfully Chaotic

3. Grid Runner?

Here is a helpful youtube with the level opening animations, you notice a lizard man and a crab creature thing…

King Krimson

[Snobby McSnobbers-
ons
]

Level 69 Troll

Thanks, but that’s not it.

No. 3 was a third person shooter reminiscent of MDK, with the camera behind the player. I looked up a gameplay video, and Gridrunner is a top-down CTF game.

Other things I remember: the player select screen had a kind of machine/gears aesthetic, and characters you couldn’t select had a red stamp saying Not/Unavailable.

also, the first time I played Unreal I was struck by how much it reminded me of this mystery game, especially the first level on the crashed spaceship, which makes me think that the first/demo levels of the game were set in a grimy futuristic area.

Thanks anyway!

megazeroexe

Avatar: 96079 2010-02-05 18:20:27 -0500

[Deth Krew 2010]

Level 44 Hacker

hi this is pcp saying i miss m0x

Battletoads.

King Krimson

[Snobby McSnobbers-
ons
]

Level 69 Troll

megazeroexe Posted:

Battletoads.

Yes. All three of the games are, in fact, Battletoads.

Oh, they were all on PC too. Forgot to mention that.

swine

Avatar: 10221 2011-10-31 21:15:57 -0400

[Harem and Sushi Bar]

Level 69 Troll

I congratulate you in recognising my superiority and choosing me to be your love pig!

King Krimson Posted:

2. This game was on the same disc, and was about a man who was possibly a robot. You walked around in first person and shot things, possibly aliens or robots. Interestingly, the screen was designed to look like a robot’s POV, with weird readouts and a kinda bluish tint. It was called ‘dominion’ or ‘domination’ or something. It definitely began with a ‘D’ at least. Actually, finding the name of the shareware disc may be best, as it had some cool things on there, like the exile series and a game where you were a driller in a dinosaur land.

All I can think of is Descent.

mterek

Avatar: 192622 2009-09-24 16:39:01 -0400

[mahjong]

Level 69 Re-Re

$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$

swine Posted:

All I can think of is Descent.

I strongly suspect that’s the answer, but Descent is very different from the vague description KK gave. If the others are as far removed from their source material, I’m skeptical if we can figure the other ones out.

I might still have my “50 Top PC Games Ever Made” Shareware disc somewhere, although it’s unlikely as most of those games disappeared with Windows 3.1. I still have all of my ‘95 stuff for sure though.

I’ve go one to add though…

It was a FPS PC Game, based off of a modified Doom engine. It was dark, and one ran around shooting various mutants. I distinctly remember killing giant rats. I thought the name was “The Island of Dr. Moreau” but that’s the name of a clbumic book, I think the “Dr.” part is right, although it could be Professor, but the last name started with M for sure.

The CD case had a picture of a robot on it, and I think there was a brain in a jar on top of the robot.

King Krimson

[Snobby McSnobbers-
ons
]

Level 69 Troll

Thanks Swine, but I checked out Descent, and it’s not No. 2. I said they were obscure!

In the game, the player was very ground based at first. An interesting element of the game was, if you ran out of batteries/charge, you would collapse, unable to complete the level. The very first gun was a pistol of some description.

mterek, was your game Nitemare 3D? There are robots, something that looks like a giant rat, and you fight a Doctor (although his name was Hamerstein) in order to rescue your girlfriend.

EDIT: I found No 1! It’s a game called Necrodome! Unfortunately, the reviews suggest that it isn’t that good. Still, it’s nice to have found it again!

EDIT THE SECOND:I found No 2, as well. It’s called Rex Blade Domination, and according to Gamespot it was crap. Interestingly, it had a built in programming language which allowed you to do… stuff… within the game. How this helped you shoot things I don’t know, but I was only 10 or so when I played it.

EDIT THREE: THE SON OF EDIT: Actually mterek, I think your game may be The Fortress of Dr Radaki, as the box-art has a pretty prominent robo-brain. Here’s some gameplay:

I think there’s a torrent with the game in it avalible at the FPS archive.

King Krimson edited this message on 08/12/2010 8:41AM

King Krimson

[Snobby McSnobbers-
ons
]

Level 69 Troll

Any luck with number three yet?

I’ve decided to give Log in to see images!

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: I have found the game! It was called Eradicator. I can’t wait to download it and play it again, to see how it holds up today.

King Krimson edited this message on 08/14/2010 6:55PM

mterek

Avatar: 192622 2009-09-24 16:39:01 -0400

[mahjong]

Level 69 Re-Re

$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$

King Krimson Posted:

EDIT THREE: THE SON OF EDIT: Actually mterek, I think your game may be The Fortress of Dr Radaki, as the box-art has a pretty prominent robo-brain. Here’s some gameplay:

I think there’s a torrent with the game in it avalible at the FPS archive.

OTL

When my eyes skimmed over that title, a gloriously warm and bright portal to heaven opened in my ceiling, and lovey angels descended to gently lift me up to paradise, my life finally complete.

Sadly…I don’t think heaven has a weight training program, those angels had small weak arms and couldn’t hold me up. They let go…

King Krimson

[Snobby McSnobbers-
ons
]

Level 69 Troll

mterek Posted:

OTL

When my eyes skimmed over that title, a gloriously warm and bright portal to heaven opened in my ceiling, and lovey angels descended to gently lift me up to paradise, my life finally complete.

Sadly…I don’t think heaven has a weight training program, those angels had small weak arms and couldn’t hold me up. They let go…

Sorry for getting your hopes up Log in to see images!.

It’s weird that this isn’t your game though, as it’s damn near identical to the description you gave, including a Doom based engine, mutant rats, a robobrain and a Doctor. The only difference that I (a guy who never played the game in question) can see is the lack of a Dr “M”. Weird.

King Krimson edited this message on 04/30/2011 3:49PM
Internet Delay Chat
Have fun playing!
To chat with other players, you must Join Forumwarz or Log In now!