Buy Official Merchandise!
Forumwarz is the first "Massively Single-Player" online RPG completely built around Internet culture.

You are currently looking at Flamebate, our community forums. Players can discuss the game here, strategize, and role play as their characters.

You need to be logged in to post and to see the uncensored versions of these forums.

Civil Discussion
Switch to Role-Playing Civil Discussion
Rant Old(er) players talk about the old days

ChilePepino

Avatar: 101005 2010-01-24 16:17:40 -0500

[Full of SbumSS]

Level 35 Permanoob

Well, spf357 really rocks.

MC Banhammer Posted:

I had my first computer long before Microsoft even existed. Let alone “MS-DOS”.

It had 48K RAM and a 5-1/4” floppy drive. Actually, two of those. We splurged.

It played the Scott Adams text adventures just fine.

I remember using those huge floppy disk on school computers (we didn’t have one at home), but probably they were “newer” that the computer you’re talking about.

Patently Chi-
ll Prestidig-
itator

Avatar: 128746 2011-10-09 04:24:59 -0400

[love is a dog from-
hell
]

Level 69 Troll

Celerysteve is incredible... he is just so... so incredible.

and there were very few computer games you could find and you’d actually have to pay for them, so you’d be stuck playing Alladin or Supaplex for months in a row if you wanted to play on your computer.

Catt although

Avatar: 46806 2022-11-29 03:06:42 +0000

[Brainfreeze]

Level 69 Troll

Last Catt Standing

1337xxxxxxxxxlolololololololololxxxxxxxxx1337 Posted:

. . .

But I don’t know what you mean by “the phone companies owned the phones,” unless you’re talking about payphones.

Up until some time in the 70s, there was only one “phone company” (in the U.S.) and you could only get phones from them, which you had to pay monthly for. We had a broken one lying in our basement for years that a repairman left behind that we weren’t sure what to do with (you had to call a repairman if your phone stopped working) . It said “Property of Bell Telephone” or something like that on the bottom.

Ma Bell’s goin’ down, boys. Click the “hangup” bumon 1 time to dial one, on up through 9, and 10 times to dial 0. That’ll teach ‘em.

plk

Avatar: 9972 2010-01-24 16:28:42 -0500

[Brainfreeze]

Level 69 Emo Kid

“The Infinite Sadness”

Catt although Posted:

Up until some time in the 70s, there was only one “phone company” (in the U.S.) and you could only get phones from them, which you had to pay monthly for. We had a broken one lying in our basement for years that a repairman left behind that we weren’t sure what to do with (you had to call a repairman if your phone stopped working) . It said “Property of Bell Telephone” or something like that on the bottom.

And, the humor in the movie, Pillow Talk, is really lost on anyone who doesn’t know that you used to not even have your own phone line. It was a shared “party line” with your neighbors, so nothing you said over the phone was likely to be private when anyone could listen in.

MC Banhammer

Avatar: 1887 2011-07-31 00:40:59 -0400

[Good Omens]

Level 69 Troll

Trying to create drama to drum up the ratings by any means necessary!

Click the “hangup” bumon 1 time to dial one, on up through 9, and 10 times to dial 0.

I actually had to do that on a phone which lost its dial. We could still use it with that workaround.

MC Banhammer Posted:

I actually had to do that on a phone which lost its dial. We could still use it with that workaround.

My dad taught it to me and I thought it was ~super awesome~ so I did it on purpose, though I never had a reason to. Now I don’t have a land line and can’t imagine a reason for having one except that.

Catt although

Avatar: 46806 2022-11-29 03:06:42 +0000

[Brainfreeze]

Level 69 Troll

Last Catt Standing

My uncle was one of the first people to get something called “cable television”, he had a box that looked something like this –

the wire ran to another box on the TV and had one bumon for each channel (well, two channels per bumon and an A/B switch).

A few years later we still didn’t have cable but we got our first TV with a remote, it had two bumons – one that moved the volume up or down, and another that changed the channel – it could only move the channel up, so if you wanted to go from channel 5 to 4 you had to go all the way around. Very cool!

Samildanach

Avatar: 143751 Tue May 19 21:18:21 -0400 2009

Level 34 Hacker

“43 4f 44 45 20 4d 41 53 54 45 52”

We got our first “home computer” when I was 3 – an Atari 2600. Cbumette Drives and cartridges. My father used to program in games out of the Analog magazine for me. I still have that Atari, and the 2400baud modem for it, somewhere. Sadly, I imagine the cbumettes are long past usable.

Our first “PC” came when I was 6 (1986). An IBM. Blazing fast 286 DX 33mhz (Yes, kids, thirty-three whopping megahertz). It had a whole megabyte of RAM, and a 30 meg mother****ing harddrive. Jesus Christ, who the hell would need 30 megs of storage space?! PLUS there was the 5.25” drive and the awesome newfangled 3.5” “floppy” drive. DD was just gaining popularity, and, man, you could put more than a megabyte of info on a single disk. Talk about portable storage!

Ironically, that computer could boot up in 30 seconds, and I’d be working in my WordPerfect 10 seconds after I saw a command line. Nowadays, I turn on my tired old Lenovo and go make a cup of friggin’ coffee while I wait. Thanks, Microsoft.

I also remember beta-testing Win95, and hating it. 3.1 and 3.11 were OK, riding on DOS, but what the hell? What good was a GUI with no way to shut off all the bells and whistles and go back to a nice clean command line?

I don’t know, I had to reformat Windows 3.11 like 50 times. It was partly because, “Hmm, is this file really necessary?!” but it was pretty unstable. I could sure play some Commander Keen on it though. Log in to see images!

Samildanach

Level 34 Hacker

I don’t know, I had to reformat Windows 3.11 like 50 times. It was partly because, “Hmm, is this file really necessary?!” but it was pretty unstable. I could sure play some Commander Keen on it though. Log in to see images!

I think my logic at the time was, if 3.11 got screwy – as it tended to do – I could always dump out to DOS and diagnose it/run my usual command-driven apps. Plus, I could be relatively sure as many resources as possible were available to a given application. You can imagine my horror when MS released the first version of Windows that didn’t even have a “reboot in DOS mode” option.

ChilePepino

Avatar: 101005 2010-01-24 16:17:40 -0500

[Full of SbumSS]

Level 35 Permanoob

Well, spf357 really rocks.

Samildanach Posted:

You can imagine my horror when MS released the first version of Windows that didn’t even have a “reboot in DOS mode” option.

I can relate to that Log in to see images!

Odalisque

Avatar: 24438 2011-07-31 00:23:47 -0400

[Full of SbumSS]

Level 40 Emo Kid

DAAAAAAANG, SHE FLY

”motivational posters.”

Fiorine

Avatar: 48716 Mon Nov 17 03:55:14 -0500 2008

[The Scrotal Safety-
Commission
]

Level 69 Troll

“Human Yeast Infection”

MC Banhammer Posted:

It had 48K RAM and a 5-1/4” floppy drive.

I remember 8” floppies and even a perfocards.

Also wrote and played games on these.

Also booted from cbumette.

Fiorine edited this message on 05/22/2009 4:47PM

kittiejenn

Avatar: 18080 2011-11-01 00:29:42 -0400

[Backdoor Amigos]

Level 35 Emo Kid

So damn naughty it wraps back around to nice.

My first computer was purchased before I was born. I’m not sure that this is the exact model we had, but it’s close.

MC Banhammer

Avatar: 1887 2011-07-31 00:40:59 -0400

[Good Omens]

Level 69 Troll

Trying to create drama to drum up the ratings by any means necessary!

I used 8” floppies on a job I had.

I also used to have some code I wrote when I was first learning about computers. It was on punch cards.

On other reminisces, I used to ride around in the back of station wagon. 3rd set, no seat belts, windows you had to roll down by hand, little triangular windows you could open to let cigarette smoke out of the car on cold days.

Good times, good times.

Squarepusher

[The Scrotal Safety-
Commission
]

Level 69 Troll

“Human Yeast Infection”

I don’t know, I had to reformat Windows 3.11 like 50 times. It was partly because, “Hmm, is this file really necessary?!” but it was pretty unstable.

Log in to see images! It wasn’t even an operating system. It was a file manager with a solitaire and wordpad bonuses.

Also, seen Windows 1.0 – it was an honest file manager without calling itself something bigger.

Squarepusher

[The Scrotal Safety-
Commission
]

Level 69 Troll

“Human Yeast Infection”

MC Banhammer Posted:

windows you had to roll down by hand, little triangular windows you could open to let cigarette smoke out of the car on cold days.

omg we still have like tons of these on street. I wish I was born in Uganda at least.

Win 3.1 owned. Trying to clear enough space to install a new game owned. Trying to get my dot matrix to print anything at all ever OWNED.

—-

About Successories Posted:

For over 20 years, Successories has been the leader in motivational products fueling the pbumion of high achievers and top performing teams with our stirring images and uniquely inspiring messages. Tap into the powerful possibilities in you and your staff – shop our complete collection online today. Most items can be customized with your logo or personalized for award presentations or gift giving.

Soooo Successories invented motivational posters “over 20 years” ago, meaning the late 80’s. I don’t think Despair, Inc. (inventor of demotivational parodies) came around until the mid-90’s, but I can’t find any reference to a date on their site. 4chan still finds this funny 10-15 years later, but it wasn’t that funny to begin with.

I agree that kittens are highly motivational.

Samildanach

Level 34 Hacker

I own 8-inch floppies, but just as curio items inherited from my father, along with his punch-card projects and some drums ‘n’ platters. By the time I was paying attention, 5.25” was all the rage, and by the time I started working on programs, 3.5” was coming into its own.

Internet Delay Chat
Have fun playing!
To chat with other players, you must Join Forumwarz or Log In now!