Buy Brownie Points
Forumwarz is the first "Massively Single-Player" online RPG completely built around Internet culture.

You are currently looking at Flamebate, our community forums. Players can discuss the game here, strategize, and role play as their characters.

You need to be logged in to post and to see the uncensored versions of these forums.

Civil Discussion
Switch to Role-Playing Civil Discussion

Viewing a Post

Samildanach

Avatar: 143751 Tue May 19 21:18:21 -0400 2009

Level 34 Hacker

“43 4f 44 45 20 4d 41 53 54 45 52”

We got our first “home computer” when I was 3 – an Atari 2600. Cbumette Drives and cartridges. My father used to program in games out of the Analog magazine for me. I still have that Atari, and the 2400baud modem for it, somewhere. Sadly, I imagine the cbumettes are long past usable.

Our first “PC” came when I was 6 (1986). An IBM. Blazing fast 286 DX 33mhz (Yes, kids, thirty-three whopping megahertz). It had a whole megabyte of RAM, and a 30 meg mother****ing harddrive. Jesus Christ, who the hell would need 30 megs of storage space?! PLUS there was the 5.25” drive and the awesome newfangled 3.5” “floppy” drive. DD was just gaining popularity, and, man, you could put more than a megabyte of info on a single disk. Talk about portable storage!

Ironically, that computer could boot up in 30 seconds, and I’d be working in my WordPerfect 10 seconds after I saw a command line. Nowadays, I turn on my tired old Lenovo and go make a cup of friggin’ coffee while I wait. Thanks, Microsoft.

I also remember beta-testing Win95, and hating it. 3.1 and 3.11 were OK, riding on DOS, but what the hell? What good was a GUI with no way to shut off all the bells and whistles and go back to a nice clean command line?

Internet Delay Chat
Have fun playing!
To chat with other players, you must Join Forumwarz or Log In now!