Buy Brownie Points
Forumwarz is the first "Massively Single-Player" online RPG completely built around Internet culture.

You are currently looking at Flamebate, our community forums. Players can discuss the game here, strategize, and role play as their characters.

You need to be logged in to post and to see the uncensored versions of these forums.

Civil Discussion
Switch to Role-Playing Civil Discussion
Gay Limit Emoticons

Celerysteve

Avatar: 61989 2011-12-28 11:21:37 -0500

[Temple of the Anth-
ropomorphic Majesty
]

Level 35 Troll

Right from the moment when I saw Saw, I laughed.

There’s really no point in try to block image spam by limiting images to 5 w/ no same images if someone can just post 80,000 Log in to see images! I say either do away with the rule entirely or limit emoticons too. There’s no reason anybody needs to use more than 10 or 20 emoticons in a post.

Possibly a C-
abbage

Avatar: 76887 Fri Oct 24 03:39:44 -0400 2008

[Leafy Green Vegeta-
bles
]

Level 35 Hacker

Herbaceous, biennial, dicotyledonous , and flowering.

Celerysteve Posted:

There’s no reason anybody needs to use more than 10 or 20 emoticons in a post.

I agree entirely. If you feel like spamming, with emoticons, you could just alternate “emoticon” with “carriage return” which will still cause people to have to scroll, if you feel like being a male reproductive organ in the RP forums.

MC Banhammer

Avatar: 1887 2011-07-31 00:40:59 -0400

[Good Omens]

Level 69 Troll

Trying to create drama to drum up the ratings by any means necessary!

Possibly a Cabbage Posted:

if you feel like being a male reproductive organ in the RP forums.

Wait wait wait.

First you (the generic you, not just the cabbage), want to open up the RP section to allow for more trolling by removing the restrictions on Stickies.

Then you want to ADD restrictions to the RP section by limiting what can be posted everywhere in it.

Please, someone, explain to me what the community wants. Because now I’m really, really confused.

Celerysteve

[Temple of the Anth-
ropomorphic Majesty
]

Level 35 Troll

I’m saying emoticons should be limited — but if not, there’s no point in limiting pictures. At least be consistent.

-MLF-

Avatar: 83146 Sun Jan 18 18:56:12 -0500 2009

Level 60 Hacker

“Cracking Addict”

MC Banhammer Posted:

Please, someone, explain to me what the community wants. Because now I’m really, really confused.

Not having to sift through tons and tons of image spam.

The whole sticky thing is because there are RP threads, that have been stickied solely for the purpose of removing trolling from the thread.

MC Banhammer

[Good Omens]

Level 69 Troll

MeatLoafFan Posted:

Not having to sift through tons and tons of image spam.

So to remove trolling, got it.

MeatLoafFan Posted:

The whole sticky thing is because there are RP threads, that have been stickied solely for the purpose of removing trolling from the thread.

So to remove rules which prevent trolling, got it.

Thanks for making my point.

MC Banhammer edited this message on 04/19/2009 8:03PM

Possibly a C-
abbage

Avatar: 76887 Fri Oct 24 03:39:44 -0400 2008

[Leafy Green Vegeta-
bles
]

Level 35 Hacker

Herbaceous, biennial, dicotyledonous , and flowering.

MC Banhammer Posted:

Wait wait wait.

First you (the generic you, not just the cabbage), want to open up the RP section to allow for more trolling by removing the restrictions on Stickies.

Then you want to ADD restrictions to the RP section by limiting what can be posted everywhere in it.

My objection on the stickies thing is that “it is a bad idea to have different rules apply to different threads in the same forum”, particularly when the only thing that differentiates a protected thread from an unprotected thread is “a moderator decided he or she likes it.” Allow a specific avenue of trolling, or not, but just make it so every thread in a given forum follows the same rules.

The current system would be like having there be a limit of 10 emoticons per post in any thread that I created, and no limit on emoticons in any thread that you created, because ET decided he wanted it to be that way because he likes you more than me.

I wouldn’t be unhappy if you couldn’t post emoticons or images at all, anywhere on flamebate (or “no images in the hacker forum” or “no images in RP” or whatever), provided that the rule was enforced equally.

Possibly a Cabbage edited this message on 04/19/2009 8:16PM

Fingerz

Avatar: 22863 2010-11-15 01:15:51 -0500

[7 VIBRATING DOLDOES]

Level 35 Emo Kid

A neverhasbeen

MC Banhammer Posted:

lol you haven’t figured it out by now? The community, in general, wnats to ****. It doesn’t matter what they’re ****ing ABOUT, as long as there’s SOMETHING to **** about. Log in to see images!

Celerysteve

[Temple of the Anth-
ropomorphic Majesty
]

Level 35 Troll

MC Banhammer Posted:

So to remove rules which prevent trolling, got it.

Thanks for making my point.

She gave you her opinion up front, then provided some additional supporting information. That was pretty obvious.

scullyangel

Avatar: 44656 Mon Aug 17 23:47:33 -0400 2009

[Good Omens]

Level 39 Camwhore

If I was a gila monster you could be my devil ray.

MC Banhammer Posted:

I believe people are annoyed by the lack of consistency in both the rules and moderation, as well as the seemingly random things that are chosen to be enforced with an iron fist. We often see chewing gum in clbum receive a harsher punishment than showing up with a semi-automatic, and a good percentage of the time it all hinges on who is chewing the gum.

MercWithMouth

Avatar: 150029 2009-09-15 13:35:36 -0400

[WeChall]

Level 35 Hacker

Verbose and long-winded as always

MC Banhammer Posted:

Raepdog

Avatar: 57155 2011-07-31 00:44:38 -0400

[To Your Scattered -
Raepdogs Go
]

Level 35 Camwhore

We are foe.

MercWithMouth Posted:

That is not even close to what real-politik means.

MC Banhammer

[Good Omens]

Level 69 Troll

scullyangel Posted:

I believe people are annoyed by the lack of consistency in both the rules and moderation, as well as the seemingly random things that are chosen to be enforced with an iron fist.

Question on this: Have you found that the inconsistency increased with the addition of 5 new mods, or was the inconsistency there before that?

Because if everything could be solved by making sure all the mods are on the same page, that’s theoretically much easier than changing and changing the rules.

No slam against the new mods, seriously. I’m just curious what the community perception is. (It’s natural for 7 people to have 7 different opinions.)

Samildanach

Avatar: 143751 Tue May 19 21:18:21 -0400 2009

Level 34 Hacker

“43 4f 44 45 20 4d 41 53 54 45 52”

Celerysteve Posted:

There’s really no point in try to block image spam by limiting images to 5 w/ no same images if someone can just post 80,000 Log in to see images!

The emotes are relatively small. An equal number of screen-sized goatse’s, for example, or just 2045-pixel tall blank images, or seizure animations…

Yeah. User-provided images could be a lot more annoying, repeated, than emoticons.

Also, the lack of emoticon limit has been crucial to an RP thread or two over in GOTO 10. It’s silly and pointless… but so’s most of RP.

scullyangel

[Good Omens]

Level 39 Camwhore

MC Banhammer Posted:

Question on this: Have you found that the inconsistency increased with the addition of 5 new mods, or was the inconsistency there before that?

Because if everything could be solved by making sure all the mods are on the same page, that’s theoretically much easier than changing and changing the rules.

No slam against the new mods, seriously. I’m just curious what the community perception is. (It’s natural for 7 people to have 7 different opinions.)

I can only say what I’ve perceived. There has always been inconsistency, but of course it is more noticeable with the increase in mods. Some mods obviously address only what is reported, some obviously hunt for things. Some look at idc very differently than others.

I don’t think anyone expects all the rules to be changed. Despite what goes on with the players who push the border, I think most are smart enough to get that a pure free for all would not only kill the site, but also eliminate some of their fun. (It’s not as interesting to post photo shopped goatse to see if it sneaks by if you are allowed to post the unedited version and more.)

Are you honestly confused about why the community gets up in arms when we see certain things happen? When certain violations are met with instant punishment and others are brushed under the rug? I can make a list of the players who will in fact not be given the benefit of the doubt should they do something borderline that another player would get away with.

Yes, it is a very human response to say, “They are always a jackbum, of course they are being a jackbum.” Still, don’t you think the mod team would get a heck of a lot less grief if player a and player b both received the same punishment for the same violation? Don’t you think there would be less angst if players were made aware of what the punishments would be for violation of rules? There was a thread in klan **** You asking Nicco what the ban lengths for certain things would be. Almost none of the answers were definite. There was a lot of “probably this or maybe this.” If the mods can’t answer the question that is a pretty good indication that selective modding and unfair harshness or leniency is absolutely happening. It is impossible for it to be fair because a good portion of things are left to the discretion of whichever mod stumbles onto it.

Right now we have pretend rules that people should infer due to the “spirit” of things, 7 mods and 3 admins with different views on how rules should be interpreted and punished and a rule that says if a mod feels like it then that is ok, too. All this on a site that encourages rp, trolling and recently held a sanctioned contest encouraging the population to go practice trolling the **** out of people. Seriously, the dual message of trolling is funny as **** please don’t do it, is wacky as hell.

I don’t know, it makes no sense for me to type out a detailed “what I would do” thing. I am notoriously wordy, full of opinion and can generally tell you exactly what I would do. It seldom matters as I don’t make the rules.

tl;dr: Getting the mods all on the same page is important. Clarifying rules and putting them somewhere reasonable with notifications about updates so that people aren’t banned for things they didn’t know were wrong, also a good idea.

MC Banhammer

[Good Omens]

Level 69 Troll

scullyangel Posted:

Still, don’t you think the mod team would get a heck of a lot less grief if player a and player b both received the same punishment for the same violation?

They don’t? This is news to me.

Yes, seriously. Remember when you were a mod and asked me what ban lengths should be, and I posted the policy I’d been working under? I had done the same thing with tubs, and I thought we were damn consistent*. I’ve done the same thing for the new mods, but if we’re not finding that they’re following the guidelines then absolutely we should do something about that, either changing the guidelines or ensuring everyone’s following the existing ones. Please supply, either here or to me in tubmail, specific examples of people getting different punishments for the same violation*.

*keeping in mind that prior offenses are different for different people, so what is perceived as inconsistency may not be.

scullyangel

[Good Omens]

Level 39 Camwhore

Tubmail.

Sergeant Cid

Avatar: 167814 2011-07-31 00:46:27 -0400

[The Airship]

Level 35 Re-Re

Scientifically Proven Terrible fabulous person..... Evidence shows mbumive build up of semen deposit in bum.

MC Banhammer Posted:

*keeping in mind that prior offenses are different for different people, so what is perceived as inconsistency may not be.

And that prior offenses span across all of a player’s Alts. If Bobby Jo the CamWhore seems to receive an unfair 7 day ban for her ‘first offense’ of trolling in non-RP, that may be because her alt Joey Bob the Troll was spamming Goatse last month and was banned & warned. Unless we publicly alt reveal that player, then some bans may seem unfair to the public.

I know that I try to take a look at a player’s account & ban history before taking action.

-MLF-

Avatar: 83146 Sun Jan 18 18:56:12 -0500 2009

Level 60 Hacker

“Cracking Addict”

MC Banhammer Posted:

...the policy I’d been working under?

Maybe the community would get off your back if you were to publicly post this policy Log in to see images!

scullyangel

[Good Omens]

Level 39 Camwhore

I’d rather not keep beating the dead horse, but the simple fact is that if I ask each mod how long a ban would be for the same thing I would get different answers.

If Angry Hobo asked each mod the same question he would likely get wildly different answers or a refusal to commit to an answer because of his colorful record.

For example. I have never posted embedded shock. If I post embedded shock will I receive a one day ban for a first time offense? Will it be longer if it is posted in a non-rp area due to being trolling in a non-rp area?

As I said in my tub to MCB, there is more “up in the air” than there probably should be. Like everything else in the game it only has an impact on a small section of the player base, but in every area that weird section of the player base seems to consist of the ringleaders that encourage others to participate and hang around longer.

On topic, walls of emoticons lag the hell out of my browser and sometimes crash it. However, trolls gotta troll, and they love to make you scroll, so leave it be.

Internet Delay Chat
Have fun playing!
To chat with other players, you must Join Forumwarz or Log In now!