Buy Brownie Points
Forumwarz is the first "Massively Single-Player" online RPG completely built around Internet culture.

You are currently looking at Flamebate, our community forums. Players can discuss the game here, strategize, and role play as their characters.

You need to be logged in to post and to see the uncensored versions of these forums.

Civil Discussion
Switch to Role-Playing Civil Discussion
Feature What are your views on bootlegging?
Poll: Bootlegging is...
You must be logged in to vote.

Patently Chi-
ll Prestidig-
itator

Avatar: 128746 2011-10-09 04:24:59 -0400

[love is a dog from-
hell
]

Level 69 Troll

Celerysteve is incredible... he is just so... so incredible.

Since the topic is being discussed, I was curious to see how the people here feel about it

Inertia

Avatar: 60995 Fri Apr 03 12:59:05 -0400 2009

[Shii is gay]

Level 35 Troll

also wow i have no male reproductive organ

Is bootleg where they record gigs and stuff? Usually the quality is horrible right?

Patently Chi-
ll Prestidig-
itator

[love is a dog from-
hell
]

Level 69 Troll

Inertia Posted:

Is bootleg where they record gigs and stuff? Usually the quality is horrible right?

It’s music piracy of any form. The term is derived from bootlegging alcohol during the prohibition.

cya

Avatar: 146808 2012-12-30 22:05:41 -0500

[Deth Krew 2010]

Level 69 Hacker

Scared of death

If I really love the band, I’ll buy the CD, just do know that they’re getting atleast some funds.

If the band is average, then I may pirate it.

The only thing I pirate on a regular basis is graphic novels.

Inertia

Avatar: 60995 Fri Apr 03 12:59:05 -0400 2009

[Shii is gay]

Level 35 Troll

also wow i have no male reproductive organ

Professor Commie PhD Posted:

It’s music piracy of any form. The term is derived from bootlegging alcohol during the prohibition.

Ah then I use it a lot.

I’ve only bought 3 music CDs in my life

Oleg

Avatar: 98357 2011-07-31 00:47:25 -0400

[And The Banned Pla-
yed On
]

Level 18 Hacker

INVINCIBLE POSTER

The record companies are useless middlemen? Useless? Yeah, sure. Some people here really live in their own world.

wtfmcnuggets

Avatar: 104315 Sat Apr 11 13:02:16 -0400 2009

[The Scrotal Safety-
Commission
]

Level 40 Troll

i finally grew a male reproductive organ

i got rid of all my CDs in like 2005. i don’t even know where i could buy a CD anymore since all of the record stores around here (like tower records, sam goody, etc) have all closed. i guess i could order CDs online but who needs all that useless junk sitting around when you can just store it inside your computer.

i’ve paid for a subscription to emusic in the past, but their selection is p limited. i’ve bought albums and tracks from itunes, but getting around the protected files was a pain in the bum. i’ve heard itunes has changed this recently, so i’d consider paying for the download if i think the band deserves it. if it’s a lesser known band on an independent label, i’ll pay. but, for example, if i want an album by led zeppelin or red hot chili peppers, sorry but those ****ers don’t need an extra $10 from my pocket.

i used to use napster, kazaa, etc. back in the day, but since people have been getting sued for uploading and sharing files, i don’t use torrents anymore because i don’t want to lose my house or whatever. lately i’ve been getting new music by downloads from sites like rapidshare, megaupload, etc. and by sharing with friends via ftp or taking my external hard drive to their house.

my music collection is about 50 GB and i’d estimate maybe 35% of that i actually paid for. if a band i like is playing locally i’ll support them by going to their show and maybe buying something there like a shirt or a vinyl record. i don’t really feel bad about bootlegging since everyone does it, and so far i haven’t heard any stories about bands sleeping in the gutter because people are ‘stealing’ their music.

Raepdog

Avatar: 57155 2011-07-31 00:44:38 -0400

[To Your Scattered -
Raepdogs Go
]

Level 35 Camwhore

We are foe.

The idea that record companies are losing money from bootlegging is bull****. The idea that everyone that illegaly downloads a song or movie would have paid for the song or movie is an utter lie. If anything people are listening to music they never would have before.

Samildanach

Avatar: 143751 Tue May 19 21:18:21 -0400 2009

Level 34 Hacker

“43 4f 44 45 20 4d 41 53 54 45 52”

Raepdog Posted:

The idea that record companies are losing money from bootlegging is bull****. The idea that everyone that illegaly downloads a song or movie would have paid for the song or movie is an utter lie. If anything people are listening to music they never would have before.

I pretty much agree with this. The actual monetary loss from online sharing is not nearly as high as the companies would have you believe. Further, the ability to seek out music online means that people can sample songs that don’t get radio play, and choose to listen to (and buy records from) artists they would otherwise not have taken a chance on.

The record and movie industry want to blame piracy for their economic downturn, but when Napster was at its height back in the day, CD sales were rising. The fact is that companies are putting out an inferior product, and they’re not adapting to deal with the new models and competition offered by the internet. Rather than shift gears to deal with the world as it is, they’d rather scapegoat some poor kid who can’t afford their product and enjoys it, and try to get the law to mandate stasis so they can keep their model.

TL;DR: Is it wrong to steal intellectual property? Sure. Would theft of intellectual property be so rampant if companies would evolve for the internet era? Nope.

OverclockedJ-
esus

Avatar: 16071 2010-02-06 15:55:38 -0500

Level 69 Troll

“Human Yeast Infection”

Intellectual property is a load of **** in the first place. It’s artificial scarcity backed by some government.

CreepPipe

Avatar: 4204 2010-01-24 16:18:28 -0500

[Grey Goose Mafiosi]

Level 69 Troll

MOOOOOS ARE BELOW ME

I have and always will pay for music from artists that I truly enjoy and think are deserving of my money. Other than that if it’s just an album I “kind of want” I typically pirate it knowing that about 50 cents of the $15 I pay for the CD will ever reach the artists bank account.

A song that sums up my feelings for the most part:

NotJoePesci

Avatar: 6966 Sat Feb 21 00:54:31 -0500 2009

[Backdoor Amigos]

Level 14 Troll

Best ethnic friend a guy could have! Also Im not racist. -Raepdog

CreepPipe Posted:

I have and always will pay for music from artists that I truly enjoy and think are deserving of my money. Other than that if it’s just an album I “kind of want” I typically pirate it knowing that about 50 cents of the $15 I pay for the CD will ever reach the artists bank account.

A song that sums up my feelings for the most part:

That’s why I download p. much everything, and buy merch at shows.

Shii

Avatar: 23167 2010-01-24 16:31:18 -0500

[Phantasmagoric Spl-
endor
]

Level 35 Emo Kid

I haven't seen a bad idea that I didn't like.

Raepdog Posted:

You really live in your own world, don’t you.

51% of the music downloaded last year was done illegally. That’s 51% of the revenue they should’ve made. What other industry tolerates theft like that?

That means to just make the same amount of money they would have prior they’d have to DOUBLE the prices on the CDs or mp3s. Not only are you screwing over the company by stealing from them but you’re screwing over the law-abiding people who want to actually support the artists in question.

I’m a Music Business major here in Nashville. I get to see firsthand how crippling piracy is for these labels. As a result of mbumive amounts of money lost to internet music pirates, record labels are having to dip more and more over into the artists’ income, that they get from touring and merchandise sales.

So by being too cheap to pay for your own music, you’re simultaneously screwing over the record label, the artist, and everyone else who buys music legally.

And you think that no money is being lost here? Open your frickin’ eyes dude.

Raepdog

[To Your Scattered -
Raepdogs Go
]

Level 35 Camwhore

We are foe.

Shii Posted:

You really live in your own world, don’t you.

51% of the music downloaded last year was done illegally. That’s 51% of the revenue they should’ve made. What other industry tolerates theft like that?

That means to just make the same amount of money they would have prior they’d have to DOUBLE the prices on the CDs or mp3s. Not only are you screwing over the company by stealing from them but you’re screwing over the law-abiding people who want to actually support the artists in question.

I’m a Music Business major here in Nashville. I get to see firsthand how crippling piracy is for these labels. As a result of mbumive amounts of money lost to internet music pirates, record labels are having to dip more and more over into the artists’ income, that they get from touring and merchandise sales.

So by being too cheap to pay for your own music, you’re simultaneously screwing over the record label, the artist, and everyone else who buys music legally.

And you think that no money is being lost here? Open your frickin’ eyes dude.

For money to be lost, money would have had to be spent. I don’t illegaly download music but just because their downloading it, doesn’t mean people would be buying it. Most people just wouldent listen to that much music.

Sure, like the guy that downloads 10,000 songs is really going to spend 6 grand on music. The idea that all of that downloading would have been bought is ridiculous. The record industry can’t stop what is happening and needs to adapt.

Or you can enjoy your music twice as much buy buying it legally and listening it thinking to yourself ‘Wow Im so much better than those pirate savages. Thank god for me the moral minority.’.

Shii

[Phantasmagoric Spl-
endor
]

Level 35 Emo Kid

Raepdog Posted:

For money to be lost, money would have had to be spent. I don’t illegaly download music but just because their downloading it, doesn’t mean people would be buying it. Most people just wouldent listen to that much music.

Sure, like the guy that downloads 10,000 songs is really going to spend 6 grand on music. The idea that all of that downloading would have been bought is ridiculous. The record industry can’t stop what is happening and needs to adapt.

Or you can enjoy your music twice as much buy buying it legally and listening it thinking to yourself ‘Wow Im so much better than those pirate savages. Thank god for me the moral minority.’.

It’s a valid point, but at least SOME of that music would be legally bought. They might not spend $6,000 on it, but I’m sure they’d have at least 1,000 songs or so.

It’s not an issue of being “holier than the savages,” it’s an issue of paying people who deserve it. If some artist paints a new painting, if someone just walked in and took it cuz they wanted it, what kind of argument would “I’m too cheap to pay for it” be?

What kind of argument would “I just want to try it out and see if I like it” be?

In the real world, theft of property isn’t tolerated. Why is it tolerated online? Because it’s easier? Because everyone does it?

Here’s a shocker: not everything “everyone does” is right.

____

Avatar: 143340 Fri Mar 27 18:24:34 -0400 2009

Level 35 Troll

“Problem Child IV”

Free? I’ll take it.

I don’t need to justify myself, call me what you want.

-MLF-

Avatar: 83146 Sun Jan 18 18:56:12 -0500 2009

Level 60 Hacker

“Cracking Addict”

Shii Posted:

If some artist paints a new painting, if someone just walked in and took it cuz they wanted it, what kind of argument would “I’m too cheap to pay for it” be?

This is a pretty bad example, a more realistic one would be, an artist paint a beautiful painting. The company that represents the artist, has taken pictures of the work, and are selling these pictures at $15 each, just outside the museum.

If someone who is in fact, too cheap to pay $15 for said picture, walks in, and takes his own picture and leaves, how did the artist lose money?

Rather, the artist could have MADE MORE.

The whole “They lost 51% of revenue” argument should in fact be “We could’ve made 51% more revenue”.

Not only has the artist lost no money, even if every single song was purchased, the artist wouldn’t have made significantly more, due to the mbumive cut that the record industry takes.

-MLF- edited this message on 04/18/2009 2:28PM

Raepdog

[To Your Scattered -
Raepdogs Go
]

Level 35 Camwhore

We are foe.

Shii Posted:

It’s a valid point, but at least SOME of that music would be legally bought. They might not spend $6,000 on it, but I’m sure they’d have at least 1,000 songs or so.

It’s not an issue of being “holier than the savages,” it’s an issue of paying people who deserve it. If some artist paints a new painting, if someone just walked in and took it cuz they wanted it, what kind of argument would “I’m too cheap to pay for it” be?

What kind of argument would “I just want to try it out and see if I like it” be?

In the real world, theft of property isn’t tolerated. Why is it tolerated online? Because it’s easier? Because everyone does it?

I never said that it makes it right. But heres a shocker the money it would cost to prosecute everyone is orders of magnitude above what is lost. Also legal online download have already surpbumed music sales. Most of the money doesn’t even go to the artists, that’s been known for a long time. Artists can make there money from tours but the music itself is more widely known through the internet.

Right or wrong things have changed, you can’t run things like they did 10 years ago. Companies need to adapt not attack. Because its really all they can do.

Not a single case of illegal downloading has ever been won by the RIAA.

Patently Chi-
ll Prestidig-
itator

[love is a dog from-
hell
]

Level 69 Troll

Shii Posted:

Your examples are flawed in so many ways it’s difficult to count them. For one thing, downloading a song is nothing like stealing a painting. If anything, it’s like taking a photo of the painting. By downloading, I’m not stopping anyone from buying the song. As for “I just want to try it out and see if I like it”, that’s a perfectly reasonable argument. I would never spend $15 or whatever CDs cost these days on a CD from an artist I never heard of. I would, on the other hand, download the album, see if I like it and then, if I do, buy the CD. Artists don’t make their money from CD sales anyway; record companies do. The same record companies who always choose the lowest common denominator to feed to the mbumes and that have made intelligent, mind-stimulating music nearly extinct these days. You want to support an artist? Go to concerts, buy merch at gigs, let other people hear their music and tell them to see the artist live if they get the chance.

Shii

[Phantasmagoric Spl-
endor
]

Level 35 Emo Kid

Professor Commie PhD Posted:

Your examples are flawed in so many ways it’s difficult to count them. For one thing, downloading a song is nothing like stealing a painting. If anything, it’s like taking a photo of the painting. By downloading, I’m not stopping anyone from buying the song. As for “I just want to try it out and see if I like it”, that’s a perfectly reasonable argument. I would never spend $15 or whatever CDs cost these days on a CD from an artist I never heard of. I would, on the other hand, download the album, see if I like it and then, if I do, buy the CD. Artists don’t make their money from CD sales anyway; record companies do. The same record companies who always choose the lowest common denominator to feed to the mbumes and that have made intelligent, mind-stimulating music nearly extinct these days. You want to support an artist? Go to concerts, buy merch at gigs, let other people hear their music and tell them to see the artist live if they get the chance.

Artists WOULD make money from CD sales if the record labels weren’t having to take so much of the profits to break even from the piracy.

Furthermore, you think you’re supporting the artist by pirating music but going to shows?

Thanks to piracy record labels are being forced to turn into 360 companies that manage both the artist’s music and their live performances, and their merchandise. The record labels are taking cuts of the merch money now, the ticket money, everything, all because they can’t support themselves off music sales anymore.

There’s really no difference between photos of a painting and a painting. It still costs a bit of money to make a photo, and it’s still costing them money when it’s stolen. It costs money to create a painting, and it’s still costing them money if it gets stolen. In both, the creator is being ripped off unfairly.

Using a painting as my direct analogy was hyperbolic to an extent because the magnitude of theft “feels” greater. It’s the exact same thing in practice, though.

Say someone goes and takes every picture made of the painting. The artist still has to fork over money to get more.

There is no difference between pirating online and just walking into a store, grabbing a handful of CDs, and walking back out. Only difference is one is tolerated.

Internet Delay Chat
Have fun playing!
To chat with other players, you must Join Forumwarz or Log In now!