Buy Official Merchandise!
Forumwarz is the first "Massively Single-Player" online RPG completely built around Internet culture.

You are currently looking at Flamebate, our community forums. Players can discuss the game here, strategize, and role play as their characters.

You need to be logged in to post and to see the uncensored versions of these forums.

Civil Discussion
Switch to Role-Playing Civil Discussion
Feature What are your views on bootlegging?

LROSENBERG19-

[WeChall]

Level 69 Camwhore

“Venereal Biohazard”

I don’t buy CDs. Almost every album consists of just one or two good songs and 40-50 minutes of filler.

-MLF-

Avatar: 83146 Sun Jan 18 18:56:12 -0500 2009

Level 60 Hacker

“Cracking Addict”

Shii Posted:

Artists WOULD make money from CD sales if the record labels weren’t having to take so much of the profits to break even from the piracy.

Now, what are the record labels doing in this situation? Trying to keep their pockets lined.

Do tell me, why are we still using CDs? Why have we not moved on, to doing everything digitally? To have all the music bought online, track by track, and all radios/boom boxes being equipped with device to play music directly from an MP3 Player of sorts?

Because of the plethora of lobbying done by the record label, in order to keep themselves a job.

I have a friend, who records everything from his home studio, remixes everything himself, and releases it using social networking. Completely cutting out the record industry.

Now tell me, how can the record label justify trying to double the price of albums, only to keep a consistently affluent, and wealthy lifestyle? When the artist can do it all himself?

-MLF- edited this message on 04/18/2009 2:57PM

OverclockedJ-
esus

Avatar: 16071 2010-02-06 15:55:38 -0500

Level 69 Troll

“Human Yeast Infection”

LROSENBERG1996 Posted:

I don’t buy CDs. Almost every album consists of just one or two good songs and 40-50 minutes of filler.

And yet somehow it’s the fault of “pirating” for the supposed decline in sales. Couldn’t be, as you pointed out, ****ty bands making ****ty albums. Same with movies. Couldn’t be ****ty movies, right? Must be the pirates.

Shii

Avatar: 23167 2010-01-24 16:31:18 -0500

[Phantasmagoric Spl-
endor
]

Level 35 Emo Kid

I haven't seen a bad idea that I didn't like.

MeatLoafFan Posted:

Now, what are the record labels doing in this situation? Trying to keep their pockets lined.

Do tell me, why are we still using CDs? Why have we not moved on, to doing everything digitally? To have all the music bought online, track by track, and all radios/boom boxes being equipped with device to play music directly from an MP3 Player of sorts?

Because of the plethora of lobbying done by the record label, in order to keep themselves a job.

I have a friend, who records everything from his home studio, remixes everything himself, and releases it using social networking. Completely cutting out the record industry.

Now tell me, how can the record label justify trying to double the price of albums, only to keep a consistently affluent, and wealthy lifestyle? When the artist can do it all himself?

Except what you’re forgetting is the vast amounts of money record labels sink into artists. When a label finds a new artist, they give them an advance of $1,000,000 or so to make the album, be publicized, etc.

Then they take all the artists’ profits until they’ve recouped their money back. It might sound unfair, but just imagine if the artist isn’t a hit; they lose all that money.

They need to keep their pockets lined because they’re essentially gambling on every single new venture they do.

Plus, without that mbumive funding, the artist would have an extremely, extremely difficult time making it into the national limelight.
Shii edited this message on 04/18/2009 3:42PM

ChilePepino

Avatar: 101005 2010-01-24 16:17:40 -0500

[Full of SbumSS]

Level 35 Permanoob

Well, spf357 really rocks.

I buy CDs when I like them. Most of the music done lately is ****, period. That’s why nobody buys CDs anymore.

And what was stated before it’s true, i would have never heard a lot of bands that i like if it wasn’t for illegal downloading.

-MLF-

Level 60 Hacker

“Cracking Addict”

Shii Posted:

Except what you’re forgetting is the vast amounts of money record labels sink into artists. When a label finds a new artist, they give them an advance of $1,000,000 or so to make the album, be publicized, etc.

Then they take all the artists’ profits until they’ve recouped their money back. It might sound unfair, but just imagine if the artist isn’t a hit; they lose all that money.

They need to keep their pockets lined because they’re essentially gambling on every single new venture they do.

Plus, without that mbumive funding, the artist would have an extremely, extremely difficult time making it into the national limelight.

And if the best possible scenario is:

1) Record Company gives artist $1,000,000

2) Artist pays back $1,000,000

And there being a huge risk that the artist won’t make it big enough to pay back the label, how does it make it’s money them? Lawsuits against pirates?

Shii

Avatar: 23167 2010-01-24 16:31:18 -0500

[Phantasmagoric Spl-
endor
]

Level 35 Emo Kid

I haven't seen a bad idea that I didn't like.

MeatLoafFan Posted:

And if the best possible scenario is:

1) Record Company gives artist $1,000,000

2) Artist pays back $1,000,000

And there being a huge risk that the artist won’t make it big enough to pay back the label, how does it make it’s money them? Lawsuits against pirates?

They still take a cut of the records profits after they recoup their money; they just take ALL of it beforehand.

Jim McPerson

Level 35 Troll

“Problem Child IV”

As the shield evolves, so does the sword. Or whatever, I’m just too cheap.

GGH

Avatar: 105218 Tue Feb 17 15:32:24 -0500 2009

Level 35 Troll

“Problem Child IV”

Art cannot be bought and has no price.

Music, which is not art, is not worth the money.

Contradiction.

I support artist. I do not, however, support music industry.

Sneaky27

Avatar: 70951 2010-02-06 21:28:05 -0500

Level 69 Troll

“Human Yeast Infection”

Nothing to see here, plz move on.

Sneaky27 edited this message on 04/21/2009 4:20PM

GGH

Avatar: 105218 Tue Feb 17 15:32:24 -0500 2009

Level 35 Troll

“Problem Child IV”

Sneaky27 Posted:

Music is art. It’s not a visual medium, but it is art.

Way to miss the point.

GGH edited this message on 04/18/2009 9:24PM

Electric-Tur-
tle-02

[spots-****]

Level 35 Camwhore

“Legs Wide Open”

Shii Posted:

You really live in your own world, don’t you.

That means to just make the same amount of money they would have prior they’d have to DOUBLE the prices on the CDs or mp3s. Not only are you screwing over the company by stealing from them but you’re screwing over the law-abiding people who want to actually support the artists in question.

I’m a Music Business major here in Nashville. I get to see firsthand how crippling piracy is for these labels. As a result of mbumive amounts of money lost to internet music pirates, record labels are having to dip more and more over into the artists’ income, that they get from touring and merchandise sales.

ok… where to start. i don’t want to be a jerk, you’re obligated to feel the way you do because of what you aspire to be. i guess that means you’re thinking of becoming some kind of a&r guy or label rep, maybe an exectutive at some point. or you’re in a band and don’t want to be surprised when you’re eventually screwed by these labels.

if anything, itunes etc. show that people are willing to buy digital music with actual money (i’d rather trade real goods for real cash personally) and in a sense, that goes a long way toward making the labels irrelevant, for the majority of artists that never become megastars. even with the big boys, most money is made off touring and merch (until the bloodsuckers invented 360 contracts), and the best promotion is word of mouth from likeminded music fans. let’s break up all this talk w/ some links you’ve probably all seen and/or won’t look at anyway:

http://www.negativland.com/albini.html

^ the numbers might be off due to inflation, but the theme probably hasn’t changed much.

http://news.cnet.com/5208-1027_3-0.html?forumID=1&threadID=9823&messageID=70813&start=-1

^again, the exact figures might be out of date, but for grins, let’s consider it as accurate. the last 4 items, which all support the label execs and retail (nobody who created anything included in the product i love listening to) are about 2/3 of the total price in the example. the artist would see a tenth at best, if they already paid the advance back, that is. if that’s the case they’re still touring in the old utility van & eating dry ramen waiting for the club to open so they can get something to wash it down with. had this fake band never signed w/ a label, stayed local and done things slower on a scale they could manage, they could make real profit for themselves, instead of for all the industry vampires.

they’re like the government- totally unproductive, only concerned with sustaining themselves. unless you count rootkits and drm garbage that ruined many a computer. at best you could say they’re like banks for bands- a necessary evil- except they’re not so necessary anymore, and they know we’re figuring that out- and artists are too.

it would be nearly impossible to sell a million records diy, don’t get me wrong. but the average band won’t sell than many anyway, and instead they want to make as much as they can, live as well as possible, and keep making music as long as people will buy it.

i was working at tower records the day we locked the doors for the last time, and it sucked to lose the last major physical source for music (and sucked to lose the job) nonetheless, i didn’t blame downloading, but the rediculous prices we had to charge to be able to run a store of that size. okay for the more obscure stuff, but most folks wouldn’t pay extra for the new NIN or now #20whatever when they could get it cheaper a block down the road.

intellectual property… doesn’t make sense. you can’t own an idea. if i share an idea with you, and you do it first or better; profit, and not share in the profit, i’d be upset. but ultimately, it was i who set it in motion by telling you my idea. it’s only “my idea” because nobody else has it yet. once you do; it can grow or change in ways i didn’t intend. remixes. fan fiction. ****ty remakes. knowing the way the internet works, anything i put here can be pbumed around, viewed, and edited to say things i didn’t intend. that’s what the internet is for- sharing information- 1’s and 0’s that hopefully add up to something.

if you stuck w/ me , thanks.

tl;dr: the industry killed good music, “downloaders are killing the industry”, eventually good music will kill downloaders. but not literally. i mean, it would have to be, like really great (or awful) to do that.

Electric-Turtle-02 edited this message on 04/18/2009 10:20PM

-MLF-

Level 60 Hacker

“Cracking Addict”

GGH Posted:

I support artist. I do not, however, support music industry.

Quoted for truth.

Electric-Turtle-02 Posted:

tl;dr: the industry killed good music, “downloaders are killing the industry”, eventually good music will kill downloaders. but not literally. i mean, it would have to be, like really great (or awful) to do that.

There will always be downloaders, but it’s a matter of listening to music before paying for it.

The advent of Itunes, and being able to pay track-by-track for only $0.99, would be great, without the DRM.

Samildanach

Avatar: 143751 Tue May 19 21:18:21 -0400 2009

Level 34 Hacker

“43 4f 44 45 20 4d 41 53 54 45 52”

MeatLoafFan Posted:

There will always be downloaders, but it’s a matter of listening to music before paying for it.

The advent of Itunes, and being able to pay track-by-track for only $0.99, would be great, without the DRM.

What’s funny is, in 1998/1999, when Napster was huge lawsuit news and internet music piracy was a sudden, new watchword, I said “Y’know, record companies should just set up a system by which to buy individual tracks cheap… maybe recommend more based on what you buy.”

I should’ve worked on coding it, instead of figuring that it couldn’t be that good an idea, or they’d be working on it.

-MLF-

Level 60 Hacker

“Cracking Addict”

Samildanach Posted:

What’s funny is, in 1998/1999, when Napster was huge lawsuit news and internet music piracy was a sudden, new watchword, I said “Y’know, record companies should just set up a system by which to buy individual tracks cheap… maybe recommend more based on what you buy.”

I should’ve worked on coding it, instead of figuring that it couldn’t be that good an idea, or they’d be working on it.

But the DRM is what kills it, if I buy a song from the Itunes store, I can only [legally] interact with the audio file in Itunes. You would need to manually remove the DRM, and break the law just to play it on a different media player.

Samildanach

Avatar: 143751 Tue May 19 21:18:21 -0400 2009

Level 34 Hacker

“43 4f 44 45 20 4d 41 53 54 45 52”

Oh, and because eventually somebody has to cite something – Here’s a Guardian article on a Norwegian study that showed So-called “pirates” are 10 times more likely to buy music.

-MLF-

Level 60 Hacker

“Cracking Addict”

And to continue on the varied rants of earlier in this thread; does anyone know who Jonathan Coulton is?

People who say that becoming big without a record company, will get a bit of a shock.

Cheins Sanch-
ez

Avatar: 64305 2015-06-13 02:49:05 -0400

[The Airship]

Level 36 Troll

Rex Sacrorum

I’ve heard that concerts are the bread and bumer of a recording artist.

Sneaky27

Avatar: 70951 2010-02-06 21:28:05 -0500

Level 69 Troll

“Human Yeast Infection”

GGH Posted:

Way to miss the point.

Yeah, sorry about that. I was really high and totally misread what you posted. My bad.

Internet Delay Chat
Have fun playing!
To chat with other players, you must Join Forumwarz or Log In now!