Buy Brownie Points
Forumwarz is the first "Massively Single-Player" online RPG completely built around Internet culture.

You are currently looking at Flamebate, our community forums. Players can discuss the game here, strategize, and role play as their characters.

You need to be logged in to post and to see the uncensored versions of these forums.

Civil Discussion
Switch to Role-Playing Civil Discussion
Business item buildr making FWZ look unprofessional?

CrinkzPipe

Avatar: 35643 2015-02-20 21:59:22 -0500

[Harem and Sushi Bar]

Level 62 Emo Kid

Hi, I'm an adult whos into bumes. But not boners!

PLEASE NOTE: THIS THREAD IS NOT TALKING ABOUT COSTS, IT IS TALKING ABOUT THE STATS OF THE ITEMS GENERATED BY ITEM BUILDR

­

­

Before reading/posting in this thread, I ask you to look through all the items in [url=http://www.forumwarz.com/stores/item_buildr]the item buildr store, as well as your clbum store items.

­

­

I will be using Emo Kids as an example for this post, mainly because the most items that have been made is for Emo Kids, and I’m to lazy to do each clbum. Feel free to add the comparisons for other clbumes.

­

­

To start out, look at the Crossed Out Name Tattoo, and the My Dead Girlfriend tattoo. What is the use of having a item with the same exact stats, but only 27 less tears? They both have 1 less defense, and give less tears than the best tattoo in the EP2 Emo Kid store.

­

­

Now then, look at all the piercings in the store. All better than the best Emo Kid piercing, but only one, the Soul Piercing has different stats. The Spinal Tap, and the Stigmata are the same with different tears(and secondary stats aren’t really needed anymore) but big jumps in defense. I understand the lower defense lets you get to a lower ego faster, but with a lot of forums, even defense matters for Emo Kids.

­

­

I do understand this lets people without EP2 get better items, but people without EP2 could already get those items through Kyoubai, making that purpose useless.

­

­

I know CZ could probably care less about how professional they look, but item buildr will keep on spiting out useless crap like this unless ET makes a fix that fixes the way it generates item stats, or he finds out a way to pre-plan items.

­

­

Feel free to look through your own clbumes stuff to see what I’m talking about.

spacekadt

Avatar: 16186 2011-11-01 00:02:40 -0400

[Brainfreeze]

Level 69 Camwhore

meh

Before this thread goes too much further, there are plans to address itembuildr. CZ is well aware of the issue and will hopefully have some sort of fix soon. Hopefully the sooner side of “soon”, but I’m not giving specifics.. mostly because there aren’t any until they decide *how* to fix it and what needs to be done.

Evil Trout

Avatar: 35 2023-04-24 23:24:10 +0000

[Crotch Zombie]

Level 21 Hacker

this site is deader than the toddlers in my basement

It’s #1 on my list for discussion at this week’s meeting. There’s a large ticket open for it in the bug tracker.

I promise things will be improved this week.

Evil Trout

[Crotch Zombie]

Level 21 Hacker

We did indeed talk about it last night. This afternoon I am going to take a stab at it, trying a few new approaches.

Hopefully the next auto-generated item will reflect it.

Colonel Bear

Avatar: 68748 Mon May 18 15:38:07 -0400 2009

[Very Busy Klan]

Level 35 Troll

“Problem Child IV”

Evil Trout Posted:

We did indeed talk about it last night. This afternoon I am going to take a stab at it, trying a few new approaches.

Hopefully the next auto-generated item will reflect it.

Just remember, you are the boss, and you can’t be bullied into ruining your site by either your peers or the many headed talking hydra that is the community. We are here for suggestions only.

Evil Trout

[Crotch Zombie]

Level 21 Hacker

I actually caught a cold so yesterday was a short day. And then today I had a physical at my Dr’s so I didn’t get to it in time for this build. Hopefully the next one!

tl;dr Still working on it…

Evil Trout

[Crotch Zombie]

Level 21 Hacker

I’m pretty happy with the tweaks to the item generation code so I’ve pushed them out. Our next build should (Hopefully!) be much cooler. Here’s some other related stuff:

http://blog.forumwarz.com/2009/4/16/itembuildr-updates

The Shade

Avatar: 107703 Sun Jan 04 22:31:23 -0500 2009

Level 35 Emo Kid

“Emotionally Stable”

Can we get a list of what changed, how it changed, and why it changed?

Veist

Avatar: 35066 2012-11-21 18:44:47 -0500

[I hate you all]

Level 69 Troll

“Human Yeast Infection”

Evil Trout Posted:

I’m pretty happy with the tweaks to the item generation code so I’ve pushed them out. Our next build should (Hopefully!) be much cooler. Here’s some other related stuff:

http://blog.forumwarz.com/2009/4/16/itembuildr-update

Why so vague on the details? Care to elaborate on how it was generating items stats/cost? Or was it just Log in to see images!

Evil Trout

[Crotch Zombie]

Level 21 Hacker

Veist Posted:

Why so vague on the details? Care to elaborate on how it was generating items stats/cost? Or was it just Log in to see images!

There is very little randomness involved, now or ever.

Basically the code is kind of like a genetic algorithm. It picks two items in a category, and creates an offspring item that averages their stats and prices.

The problem was, specifically with special items, that some items in the category were WAY out of normal bounds. For example the Falcon Preservation Plaque. When that item was married with another item, it created stupid stats for the offspring.

The major solution was to restrict the pool of items to those that are common and equippable. Now funnily enough this leaves us with too small a pool to actually create special items (and wouldn’t allow for say, a hacker special item.) So I put in a new piece of code that randomly changes the category of an item to special.

So for example, it might pick two hardware devices, marry them, and then convert it to special. Voila, a hacker item.

Xylon

Avatar: 76994 2010-01-16 02:54:34 -0500

[Kappa Kappa Kappa]

Level 35 Hacker

Posting personal information is fun. Everyone should try it at least once.

This is all well and good, however, two items into your new code and it is still putting out emo related items.

Evil Trout

[Crotch Zombie]

Level 21 Hacker

Xylon Posted:

This is all well and good, however, two items into your new code and it is still putting out emo related items.

I think (and if not I will make more adjustments) this is just ensuring that there’s a really high chance that the next item will be hardware.

Soulbright

[Vacation Hideaway]

Level 35 Hacker

“43 4f 44 45 20 4d 41 53 54 45 52”

Heres hoping. Log in to see images!

Fran

Avatar: 34789 2015-08-06 21:23:09 -0400

[A Beautiful Place -
Out in the Country
]

Level 62 Camwhore

I wonder who is the bumbling idiot that still has fake currency on this website and actually spends

Yet another Emo item.

You really need to look that coding, ET.

Possibly a C-
abbage

Avatar: 76887 Fri Oct 24 03:39:44 -0400 2008

[Leafy Green Vegeta-
bles
]

Level 35 Hacker

Herbaceous, biennial, dicotyledonous , and flowering.

Fran Posted:

Yet another Emo item.

Do emos actually use any of these items? They seem to get a ridiculous number of them.

Evil Trout

[Crotch Zombie]

Level 21 Hacker

Fran Posted:

Yet another Emo item.

Looking into it now!

edit: No wait, that’s the same item from yesterday. I’m stupid. That was still likely, give it until tomorrow before we freak out Log in to see images! Evil Trout edited this message on 04/20/2009 4:16PM

Internet Delay Chat
Have fun playing!
To chat with other players, you must Join Forumwarz or Log In now!