Buy Official Merchandise!
Forumwarz is the first "Massively Single-Player" online RPG completely built around Internet culture.

You are currently looking at Flamebate, our community forums. Players can discuss the game here, strategize, and role play as their characters.

You need to be logged in to post and to see the uncensored versions of these forums.

Civil Discussion
Switch to Role-Playing Civil Discussion
Feature [Proposal] Translate Forumwarz into other languages.

Buzzeno

Avatar: 104452 Tue Jan 20 10:27:26 -0500 2009

Level 30 Hacker

“01001000 01000001 01011000”

Hope this is the right place to post it.

Looking at others online games like this (i.e. Hattrick, Ogame and so on), you’ll find out that they’re translated in so many languages (Hattrick for example only have a .org domain but it’s translated in over 40 languages).

What about doing the same for Forumwarz?

IMHO it’ll help the game grown and popularity.

For start, i was thinking about 3 languages (excluding English ofc): French, German and Italian.

What do you think about it?

Fran

Avatar: 34789 2015-08-06 21:23:09 -0400

[A Beautiful Place -
Out in the Country
]

Level 62 Camwhore

I wonder who is the bumbling idiot that still has fake currency on this website and actually spends

IMHO, coming from the country that’s known by destroying international communities (see Orkut and Fotolog as examples), I think that’s not needed.

Or don’t translate it to portuguese. Log in to see images!

paddikins

Avatar: 64745 Mon Jan 05 18:33:02 -0500 2009

Level 35 Emo Kid

IMMA GO CRY AND CUT MYSELF AND LISTEN TO LINKIN PARK!

If they don’t already have other languages, that’s pretty suprising.

Bling Fling

Level 35 Camwhore

“Legs Wide Open”

Seems like a total **** to do, even if you get users to do most of the work it would all need to be verified to meet quality standards. And the humor in the game is hardly translatable at all.

Aldo_Anything

Avatar: 32555 2014-07-18 11:39:53 -0400

[Brainfreeze]

Level 69 Troll

male reproductive organMEISTER

One problem that I see is, this games is depending strongly on the community of players. Even if the whole game is translated, all additional stuff like forumbuildr isn’t.

The question is: would a translated game generate enough new users so that the costs of the translation (if not done by users) and the on-going operations for server etc. are equalized?

Personally I think it’s a game for international users as target audience (outside north america)

Buzzeno

Avatar: 104452 Tue Jan 20 10:27:26 -0500 2009

Level 30 Hacker

“01001000 01000001 01011000”

Well, translation can be done by users (a team of 5-6 users can do that in a short while), so no cost.

I don’t know if it could be a problem for on-going server operation, but i don’t think so.

OrsonScottCa-
rd

Avatar: 104768 2015-08-05 14:57:49 -0400

[Forumwarz Speakeasy]

Level 69 Hacker

Why do I keep coming back here

Buzzeno Posted:

Hope this is the right place to post it.

Looking at others online games like this (i.e. Hattrick, Ogame and so on), you’ll find out that they’re translated in so many languages (Hattrick for example only have a .org domain but it’s translated in over 40 languages).

What about doing the same for Forumwarz?

IMHO it’ll help the game grown and popularity.

For start, i was thinking about 3 languages (excluding English ofc): French, German and Italian.

What do you think about it?

Good idea, if it hasn’t already been done, except I question your language choices. I would think Spanish and Japanese would actually reach more users than any others, although the three you listed and Portuguese would be the rest of the top six.

So yeah. CZ people, is this something that’s likely to happen?

Auser

Avatar: 89481 Thu Feb 26 14:58:28 -0500 2009

[Grey Goose Mafiosi]

Level 35 Troll

Just south of sanity

I think it would cause a lot of problems for very little gain. English will only become more widely spoken as it is the language of business. A Chinese businessman and a German businessman would likely either converse in English or use translators. English is the closest the world will get to a worldwide language.

FalCoN

Avatar: 10741 2010-01-24 16:21:30 -0500

[Grey Goose Mafiosi]

Level 35 Camwhore

I NEVER LEFT FORUMWARZ

Aldo_Anything Posted:

The question is: would a translated game generate enough new users so that the costs of the translation (if not done by users) and the on-going operations for server etc. are equalized?

This. The answer is clearly no. Forumwarz is by far not big enough for this.

However, if Evil Trout would be less fabulous persongy careless, he might notice that he could generate many new users if he wouldn’t focus his advertisement on US-focussed websites. I think about everybody here in Germany who finished school can speak English well enough to enjoy Forumwarz, and same applies for most other European countries.

J-R-R

[YMAW]

Level 5 Troll

“Jerk Chicken”

I’ll do it for BP.

OrsonScottCa-
rd

[Forumwarz Speakeasy]

Level 69 Hacker

FalCoN Posted:

The answer is clearly no. Forumwarz is by far not big enough for this.

I agree, bumuming translation wasn’t user-done, but the fact than many people are bilingual with English and one of those six I listed, I think user-generated translation would be perfectly possible.

Auser Posted:

English is the closest the world will get to a worldwide language.

True (see above), but that doesn’t mean it should be the ONLY language. It’s called WWW and not USA-W for a reason.

OrsonScottCa-
rd

[Forumwarz Speakeasy]

Level 69 Hacker

J-R-R Posted:

I’ll do it for BP.

I’ll do it for camwhore pics. CZ should be able to provide both in large quantities.

drussthebrit-
ishbastard

Avatar: 61156 Fri Jan 09 16:01:01 -0500 2009

Level 68 Troll

Finest upstanding member of society, ever!

J-R-R Posted:

I’ll do it for BP.

This…

But I only know a little french. Log in to see images!

Auser

[Grey Goose Mafiosi]

Level 35 Troll

Just south of sanity

OrsonScottCard Posted:

True (see above), but that doesn’t mean it should be the ONLY language. It’s called WWW and not USA-W for a reason.

No fair enough It shouldn’t be the only language in the world or indeed on the web, but the size of Forumwarz simply cannot justify the upheaval/community problems.

Auser edited this message on 01/11/2009 11:33AM

Melankay

Level 35 Hacker

“43 4f 44 45 20 4d 41 53 54 45 52”

I think it will create such a mess..and what about forumbildr(someone talked about that also) or INCIT…Plus everyone knows how annoying it is when two people from the same country start speaking their language on a Local Chat(in our case..the only chat we have)..and you can’t stop them from doing that..

It might not ruin forumwarz..but oddly enough it will ruin the multiplayer part of it(just think 5 different INCIT posts in 5 different languages..and even if you divide this..there will still be people who won’t give a crap about it and most in their own language anyway)

Melankay edited this message on 01/11/2009 11:39AM

Auser

[Grey Goose Mafiosi]

Level 35 Troll

Just south of sanity

Melankay Posted:

I think it will create such a mess..and what about forumbildr(someone talked about that also) or INCIT…Plus everyone knows how annoying it is when two people from the same country start speaking their language on a Local Chat(in our case..the only chat we have)..and you can’t stop them from doing that..

It might not ruin forumwarz..but oddly enough it will ruin the multiplayer part of it(just think 5 different INCIT posts in 5 different languages..and even if you divide this..there will still be people who won’t give a crap about it and most in their own language anyway)

Melankay

Level 35 Hacker

“43 4f 44 45 20 4d 41 53 54 45 52”

and btw..USA is not the only country where people speak English..what about U.K?

Plus anyone who uses the web nowadays usually knows some English..or their Web exp would be quite limited(and I’m thinking off small countries mostly)

Melankay edited this message on 01/11/2009 11:43AM

OrsonScottCa-
rd

[Forumwarz Speakeasy]

Level 69 Hacker

Auser Posted:

No fair enough It shouldn’t be the only language in the world or indeed on the web, but the size of Forumwarz simply cannot justify the upheaval/community problems.

I’m not seeing the upheaval/community problems, honestly. Can you elaborate?

Auser

[Grey Goose Mafiosi]

Level 35 Troll

Just south of sanity

OrsonScottCard Posted:

I’m not seeing the upheaval/community problems, honestly. Can you elaborate?

INCIT and Forumbuildr mostly

OrsonScottCa-
rd

[Forumwarz Speakeasy]

Level 69 Hacker

Melankay Posted:

and btw..USA is not the only country where people speak English..what about U.K?

Plus anyone who uses the web nowadays must know some English..or their Web exp would be quite limited(and I’m thinking off small countries mostly)

Don’t you think Brits/Aussies/Jamaicans/etc. have to change the way they speak to be understood online? Online English has always been American English, and that’s not going to change, so there’s no reason to pretend we have that little extra bit of diversity.

Internet Delay Chat
Have fun playing!
To chat with other players, you must Join Forumwarz or Log In now!