Buy Official Merchandise!
Forumwarz is the first "Massively Single-Player" online RPG completely built around Internet culture.

You are currently looking at Flamebate, our community forums. Players can discuss the game here, strategize, and role play as their characters.

You need to be logged in to post and to see the uncensored versions of these forums.

Civil Discussion
Switch to Role-Playing Civil Discussion
Feature [Proposal] Translate Forumwarz into other languages.

Melankay

Level 35 Hacker

“43 4f 44 45 20 4d 41 53 54 45 52”

not just that..forumwarz community ads..they are meant to be read by everyone right?what are u gonna do?translate it in 40 languages?

Melankay

Level 35 Hacker

ha i remembered..

it’s not American English..I’d call it simple English..and so everybody understands..even people that know only a few words in English..and don’t tell me about diversity..I’d LOL all the way to America if I ever see a site like this Translated in Romanian..so you can’t tell me I don’t know how it is

Melankay edited this message on 01/11/2009 11:53AM

Rage_****

[Grey Goose Mafiosi]

Level 69 Troll

I AM SURPRISED THAT THIS WEBSITE IS STILL AROUND

Well, I think it’s a great idea. It isn’t everyone that can speak english fluently. Also, even if most of the humor is not translatable, people can insert jokes that are alike the one in question that suits the fourm.

The periodic stuff like INCIT could be left in english like:

Por favor, crie o pôster em inglês,por favor.

SAP key: Please, create the poster in english, please.

That could be done for every INCIT language. Also, New buildr forums could be translated in like, less than a week, and could be available later. Making an “easy to submit stuff” translation tool, it’s a great idea.

Also, I would be glad to be a Portuguese translator for FWZ. It would help me practice my English a lot. Not counting helping improve a game is something I always wanted to do!!

OrsonScottCa-
rd

Avatar: 104768 2015-08-05 14:57:49 -0400

[Forumwarz Speakeasy]

Level 69 Hacker

Why do I keep coming back here

Auser Posted:

INCIT and Forumbuildr mostly

If it generated new users, and the translation was free, I think it could be feasible to have separate multi-player components for each language (which also means each new forumbuildr win doesn’t need to be translated). Have a shared core game, but separate community options. I know of several other (admittedly larger) online games that do it just like that.

Evil Trout

Avatar: 35 2023-04-24 23:24:10 +0000

[Crotch Zombie]

Level 21 Hacker

this site is deader than the toddlers in my basement

This question comes up from time to time. I’m not sure if it’s in a FAQ anywhere, but here’s the answer:

Very early on in development I decided not to program Forumwarz in a way that would allow most of the text to be localized easily.

We thought that most of the humour and jokes wouldn’t translate well to other languages, and the extra work involved just wouldn’t be worth it. Also, back then Ruby on Rails didn’t have great support for it.

I don’t really regret it, to be honest. I know it limits our markets, but we are plenty busy already just supporting this one language.

As for advertising in non-US sites, I can see us doing that in the future. Right now we’re still figuring out what ads work and what ones don’t. We’re slowing buying more and more ads each week, and eventually we might try something that isn’t in English.

Melankay

Level 35 Hacker

You guys are talking about an ideal community where everyone fallows the rules..English speaking ppl post on their side..Spanish(its just an ex) post on theirs..get real..im sure you’ve played MMORPGS before..

It will be Chaos

anyway I’ve said or there is to say

OrsonScottCa-
rd

[Forumwarz Speakeasy]

Level 69 Hacker

Evil Trout Posted:

The Great Trout has spoken.

Thanks for clarifying for us. I can certainly see your point, especially knowing you programmed it to have the language tightly integrated. For the record, I ****ing LOVE ForumWarz, and I’d like to see everyone who would want to experience it get that chance.

Rage_****

[Grey Goose Mafiosi]

Level 69 Troll

Evil Trout Posted:

Very early on in development I decided not to program Forumwarz in a way that would allow most of the text to be localized easily.

We thought that most of the humour and jokes wouldn’t translate well to other languages, and the extra work involved just wouldn’t be worth it. Also, back then Ruby on Rails didn’t have great support for it.

I don’t really regret it, to be honest. I know it limits our markets, but we are plenty busy already just supporting this one language.

As for advertising in non-US sites, I can see us doing that in the future. Right now we’re still figuring out what ads work and what ones don’t. We’re slowing buying more and more ads each week, and eventually we might try something that isn’t in English.

Answering the questions (IMO of course)

1- Most of the jokes CAN be translated into equally funny other jokes, IF it’s done by a person that dominates both english and the language they’re translating the stuff to.

2- I DO know it’s difficult to implement something like this, and I DO know time is scarce. But putting an effort into this is a sure way to attract more users. A game that is very supportive attracts a lot more people. It would also be supported by the community; so no translating work for CZ.

3- ADS in other languages attract people that use that language, but it doesn’t mean they speak English fluently. Quoting myself: “A game that is very supportive attracts a lot more people. It would also be supported by the community; so no translating work for CZ.”. This would make the ads much more attractive.

I answered it like this as I already found myself giving up of a game that had Portuguese ads but with Chinese as used language. I don’t really want this to happen to FWZ as this is a great game.

Also, I know, tl;dr. But meh, that’s my POV.

Rage_Shit edited this message on 01/11/2009 12:09PM

Rage_****

[Grey Goose Mafiosi]

Level 69 Troll

Melankay Posted:

You guys are talking about an ideal community where everyone fallows the rules..English speaking ppl post on their side..Spanish(its just an ex) post on theirs..get real..im sure you’ve played MMORPGS before..

It will be Chaos

anyway I’ve said or there is to say

Good point; but a “please post in English” warning would solve it, I guess.

OrsonScottCa-
rd

[Forumwarz Speakeasy]

Level 69 Hacker

OrsonScottCard Posted:

The Great Trout has spoken.

Thread’s closed, everybody go home.

TEH Man

Avatar: 60598 Tue Nov 04 22:52:30 -0500 2008

Level 35 Troll

“Problem Child IV”

u cant translate it, otherwise the ethnic humor (Dr. Jojo i.e.) would be lost.

but if it is going to be translated, make it dutch, nl ftw!

Rage_****

[Grey Goose Mafiosi]

Level 69 Troll

TEH Man Posted:

u cant translate it, otherwise the ethnic humor (Dr. Jojo i.e.) would be lost.

but if it is going to be translated, make it dutch, nl ftw!

Good point. There’s where the competence of the translators come in. If done well, it won’t completely ruin the humor of the game. It’s OBVIOUS it’s not gonna be the same; but sacrificing bits of humor for the accessibility of the game is a good deal to me.

EDIT: Fixed some typo.

Rage_Shit edited this message on 01/11/2009 12:12PM

Buzzeno

Avatar: 104452 Tue Jan 20 10:27:26 -0500 2009

Level 30 Hacker

“01001000 01000001 01011000”

Well, my main idea was to translate mainly Episode I, like sTalk sessions and so on.

The other rest of community (domination, INCIT etc.) MUST be in english… too many chaos otherwise.

However, Trout says no (for the moment), have fun

Buzzeno edited this message on 01/11/2009 1:01PM

Big Brother

Avatar: 45759 Fri Oct 17 23:44:23 -0400 2008

Level 66 Troll

woman's genitals

To the guy who complained about forumbuildr having to be translated weekly- just put the forums through babelfish before you put them through the unintelligencer. It’s not like they don’t already speak stupidly, babelfish-induced grammar errors won’t make them look any worse.

Shii

Avatar: 23167 2010-01-24 16:31:18 -0500

[Phantasmagoric Spl-
endor
]

Level 35 Emo Kid

I haven't seen a bad idea that I didn't like.

I kind of think that the humor is largely from English-speaking people on 4chan, and most of it would be lost on the international community.

TUBSWEETIE

Avatar: 3450 2011-07-31 00:45:06 -0400

[And The Banned Pla-
yed On
]

Level 37 Troll

MY MEMORY IS THAT OF A SMALL GRAPE

Can’t international users translate it on the fly with google or altavista?

It may be worth having a language choice.

Seems like an awful lot of work, though.

then what happens with flamebate?

the whole process appears too resource consuming to be beneficial. It’s definitely worth considering, though.

Shii

Avatar: 23167 2010-01-24 16:31:18 -0500

[Phantasmagoric Spl-
endor
]

Level 35 Emo Kid

I haven't seen a bad idea that I didn't like.

It seems to me that it would be worth considering if ET had more people at his disposal to help translate it.

And it would almost have to be an additional site or something. With another FlameBate.

or maybe the game would be language of choice and FlameBate would stay English. *shrugs*

SplodeyDopy

[iBoxxy]

Level 34 Emo Kid

desperate attention whore

Buzzeno Posted:

French, German and Italian.

i think, say no to italian say yes to spanish…

but forumwarz wouldn’t be a community if everyone spoke like french and german i think…

Blaivid

[INCITEwhores]

Level 15 Emo Kid

“Crybaby”

SplodeyDopy Posted:

say no to italian

Most of the humour will be lost (how would you translate a LOLcat or a FAIL in any language?!?) and will create some smaller groups, thus loosing the idea of “community” behind Forumwarz. (all IMHO obviously)

SplodeyDopy

[iBoxxy]

Level 34 Emo Kid

desperate attention whore

Blaivid Posted:

Most of the humour will be lost (how would you translate a LOLcat or a FAIL in any language?!?) and will create some smaller groups, thus loosing the idea of “community” behind Forumwarz. (all IMHO obviously)

we emos we get eachother.. Log in to see images!

Internet Delay Chat
Have fun playing!
To chat with other players, you must Join Forumwarz or Log In now!