Buy Brownie Points
Forumwarz is the first "Massively Single-Player" online RPG completely built around Internet culture.

You are currently looking at Flamebate, our community forums. Players can discuss the game here, strategize, and role play as their characters.

You need to be logged in to post and to see the uncensored versions of these forums.

Civil Discussion
Switch to Role-Playing Civil Discussion
Video Games Let's play: Doom the Roguelike

Something_Wi-
tty

Avatar: 32289 2010-01-24 16:35:06 -0500

[Team Shortbus]

Level 26 Permanoob

OH GOD WHAT THE **** IS THAT MY HEAD JUST GOT DECAPITATED

The other thread was cluttered as hell, I’m restarting the game anew. For those of you who want to see how this stuff works, check out the old DoomRL thread. Anyways, I’ll repost the rules/intro from the last thread:

­

­

For those of you who’ve never played/heard of rogue-likes (such as Nethack, ADOM, Mystery Dungeon, Azure Dreams, etc), think basically a turn-based dungeon crawler RPG with randomly generated floors, items, monsters etc, and in many of them once your character dies they’re gone. GONE.

For those of you who’ve never played or heard of Doom, SLAP YOURSELF IN THE FACE, WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH YOU?

Basically, here’s how this’ll work. I’ll play the game, and when it comes to point where I’d make a decision (do I attack these monsters and if so with what weapon, should I go down a floor yet, do I ditch one weapon to grab this one, should I walk across the acid or find another way, etc), I’ll post a screenshot and do what the FIRST PERSON TO POST A LEGITIMATE ACTION suggests.

A few rules:

1. I won’t do anything the game won’t let me, obviously (and will say if so)

2. I won’t do anything blatantly suicidal/incredibly stupid (eg. “run around in that lava for a while”, “throw away the chaingun and beat down the Baron of Hell with your bare hands”, “walk next to that barrel and shoot it” ). Try to actually WIN here, folks.

3. I won’t mention EVERY action I take (moving around, picking up medpacks, etc), otherwise this’ll take forever. I will summarise when necessary though.

4. I will clarify anything you need to ask about a situation (how dangerous a monster is, how damage works, explosion radii, game mechanics, etc), provided you ask before someone tells me what action to take.

5. If/when I win the game or die (far more likely), somebody else who wishes to do this can take over, or I’ll start a new character in a new difficulty setting and/or challenge mode.

6. I live in a different timezone to many of you and am often easily distracted, so keep in mind I may take a while to update.

7. If I go a while without getting responses, I may decide to continue for a bit on my own.

8. This time I’m creating backup saves on every floor, holy christ leaving my computer on many days straight only to have the ****er crash was annoying in the old thread.

9. I may not always feel like doing descriptions. Hell, I can’t be a mbumive nerd ALL the time Log in to see images!

Finally, you can download the game yourself here, read the manual here, or read in-depth about mechanics, items, monsters, etc on the wiki.

To start off, let’s do a normal game on the easiest mode. And so the first important decision is this: WHAT NAME DO WE GIVE TO OUR BADbum MARINE?!

SIG-ENABLING-
-MOCK CONGLER

Avatar: 70410 Tue Mar 31 18:27:10 -0400 2009

[The Airship]

Level 20 Hacker

Posesses, and is, an incredibly large male reproductive organ

fine upstanding member of society. That’s a good name right?

Raepdog

Avatar: 57155 2011-07-31 00:44:38 -0400

[To Your Scattered -
Raepdogs Go
]

Level 35 Camwhore

We are foe.

fabulous personBALLS

SIG-ENABLING-
-MOCK CONGLER

[The Airship]

Level 20 Hacker

Wait, wait. Name him FAIL.

JizzyP

[7 VIBRATING DOLDOES]

Level 24 Troll

“Dick in a Box”

i 2nd fabulous personballs

Captain_Amaz-
ing

Avatar: 82700 Sun Nov 09 11:06:38 -0500 2008

Level 29 Hacker

“1337”

Beefy McBeef.

Something_Wi-
tty

[Team Shortbus]

Level 26 Permanoob

XSS Code Posted:

fine upstanding member of society. That’s a good name right?

Indeed it is Log in to see images!

So what is our fine upstanding member of society good at apart from ****in’ up da man, eating fried chicken and making terrible music Log in to see images!

Raepdog Posted:

fabulous personBALLS

JizzyP Posted:

i 2nd fabulous personballs

Captain_Amazing Posted:

Beefy McBeef.

sorry guys, gotta be quicker next time, it’s the first person to make a suggestion unless they don’t follow the rules Log in to see images!

SIG-ENABLING-
-MOCK CONGLER

[The Airship]

Level 20 Hacker

REloader.

Also while we are waiting on the edge of our seats to wait for him to update.

Play this: http://www.maxgames.com/play/the-game.html

Bix Nood

Avatar: 60260 2010-10-12 20:21:23 -0400

[7 VIBRATING DOLDOES]

Level 60 Troll

MUP DA DOO DIDDA PO MO GUB BIDDA BE DAT TUM MUHFUGGEN

It’d help if we knew what each trait is.

ANGRY HOBO

Avatar: 49150 Tue Aug 11 01:43:48 -0400 2009

Level 28 Emo Kid

lmbo i gave this account and now its full of people :D bye all this game is ****....................

tough as nails

Raepdog

Avatar: 57155 2011-07-31 00:44:38 -0400

[To Your Scattered -
Raepdogs Go
]

Level 35 Camwhore

We are foe.

Hellrunner. + IRON MAN… Downey..

JizzyP

[7 VIBRATING DOLDOES]

Level 24 Troll

“Dick in a Box”

more info!!!! Log in to see images!

Damion

Avatar: 15735 Thu Apr 09 21:10:47 -0400 2009

[Grey Goose Mafiosi]

Level 57 Emo Kid

Wise guy overdrive

Sun of a gun and Reloader.

Something_Wi-
tty

[Team Shortbus]

Level 26 Permanoob

XSS Code Posted:

REloader.

Also while we are waiting on the edge of our seats to wait for him to update.

Play this: http://www.maxgames.com/play/the-game.htm

ironically i ended up playing that too instead of updating

whoops Log in to see images!

ANYWAYS

And so begin fine upstanding member of society’s journey into hell, knee deep in the dead….

Something_Wi-
tty

[Team Shortbus]

Level 26 Permanoob

JizzyP Posted:

more info!!!! Log in to see images!

Copy/pasted from the wiki:

Ironman

Requires: nothing.

Max. Ranks: 3

Effect: Your max health and current health are increased by 10 (you start with 50).

­

Finesse

Unlocks: Juggler (rank 1), Whizkid (rank 2)

Max. Ranks: 2

Effect: Firing time of ranged weapons is decreased by 10%.

­

Hellrunner

Effect: Movement time is reduced by 10%, and your chance to dodge during a turn spent moving is increased by 10%.

­

Tough as Nails

Unlocks: Badbum (rank 2)

Effect: Armor is increased by 1 (stacks with all other sources of armor).

­

Son of a ****

Unlocks: Triggerhappy (rank 2)

Effect: Damage is increased by 1 per shot.

­

Son of a gun

Unlocks: Dualgunner (rank 2)

Effect: Pistol firing time is reduced by 20% and pistols do 1 more damage per shot (effects stack with Finesse and SoaB, respectively).

­

Reloader

Unlocks: Shottyman (rank 2)

Effect: Reload time of all weapons is reduced by 20%.

­

Eagle eye

Unlocks: Cateye (rank 2), Intuition (rank 2)

Effect: Increases your chance to hit by 2 points (?).

­

Brute

Unlocks: Berserker (rank 2)

Effect: When you hit an enemy in melee, you do 4 more damage.

­

Juggler

Requires: Finesse(1)

Max. Ranks: 1

Effect: Swapping prepared weapons takes no time. (Changed in 0.9.8.7)

­

Cateye

Requires: Eagle Eye(2)

Max. ranks: 2

Effect: Your sight range is increased by 1.

­

Berserker

Requires: Brute(2)

Effect: Everytime you do more than X damage (X is somewhere between 5 and 8) you have a 4% chance of going berserk. (TFoN: the skill description just sais you have a 4% chance per hit. I don’t know anything about the min. damage required)

­

Dualgunner

Requires: Son of a Gun(2)

Effect: Allows 2 pistols to be fired at once (you must have the second in your prepared slot), at 120% of the normal firing time.

­

Intuition

Requires: Eagle Eye(2)

Effect: Intuition(1) – levers are tagged as benefical/neutral/dangerous. Intuition(2) – levers are tagged by effect, and the locations and types of powerups are known to you. Intuition(3) – same as Intuition(2), plus enemies outside your LOS are “seen” as red dots.

­

Whizkid

Requires: Finesse(2)

Max Ranks: 2

Effect: Increases the number of available weapon mod slots by 1 per level for ordinary weapons and 4 per level for advanced weapons.

­

Badbum

Requires: Tough as Nails(2)

Effect: When your health is above 100%, it decays more slowly.

* Without this trait : -1 HP every 5 seconds.

* With Badbum(1) : -1 HP every 20 seconds.

* With Badbum(2) : -1 HP every 45 seconds.

* With Badbum(3) : no decay.

­

Shottyman

Requires: Reloader(2)

Max. ranks: 1

Effect: Held shotguns can be reloaded by a move action. If you reload while moving instead of standing still, you get a dodge bonus.

­

Triggerhappy

Requires: Son of a **** (2)

Max. Ranks: 2

Effect: Gives an extra shot for multiple shot guns.

SIG-ENABLING-
-MOCK CONGLER

[The Airship]

Level 20 Hacker

Look around, and pull and levers you see.

Something_Wi-
tty

[Team Shortbus]

Level 26 Permanoob

XSS Code Posted:

Look around, and pull and levers you see.

(levers…..Log in to see images!)

Circling around the building, fine upstanding member of society sees nothing but the desolate, barren surface of Phobos, and the towering base standing like a solitary outpost of human interference. The noises he hears, however, are a lot more interesting. The moans are low, monotonous, and braindead, much like when his squadmates used to watch TV marathons on off days…

Eventually, he comes to a door. It still looks shiny and new, but he has an overwhelming sense that something is about to happen, and it’s really going to suck.

ANGRY HOBO

Avatar: 49150 Tue Aug 11 01:43:48 -0400 2009

Level 28 Emo Kid

lmbo i gave this account and now its full of people :D bye all this game is ****....................

open the door, kill all the monsters, get all the ammo and items that are usefull like ammo and new weapons (like shotgun maybe) and go to the next floor

Something_Wi-
tty

[Team Shortbus]

Level 26 Permanoob

Angry hobo Posted:

open the door, kill all the monsters, get all the ammo and items that are usefull like ammo and new weapons (like shotgun maybe) and go to the next floor

(yeah, the first floor is always the same, p boring really Log in to see images!)

fine upstanding member of society slowly opens the door, peering though the crack to get a closer look. Seeing a wide open room (and two medpacks, which he quickly grabs), he advances cautiously towards the nearest door. Upon opening it, he finds himself staring at a fellow marine across the room.

“yo dawg waddup”

“uuhhhhhhhhh”

”....huh”

“UGGHNNNNNNNN”

*blam*

“holy christ on a stick what the ****”

fine upstanding member of society, trained through years of bitter gang wars, is quick to react, dispatching the insane marine before it can fire again. He moves forward apprehensively. His curiosity is rewarded by several shotgun pellets grazing his arm. He winces in pain, but the creature is sluggish and does not get a second chance. Running into two more former marines, he easily destroys them, stopping only to unload their guns and grab the shottie.

Feeling safe, at least for the moment, fine upstanding member of society slings the shottie over his back and marches down the stairs, cursing whoever’s dumbbumed idea it was to investigate this place AGAIN. He looks around the new floor, noticing two combat knives, another shotgun, some 10mm ammo, and a sodding great hole in the wall where water pools lazily.

Bix Nood

Avatar: 60260 2010-10-12 20:21:23 -0400

[7 VIBRATING DOLDOES]

Level 60 Troll

MUP DA DOO DIDDA PO MO GUB BIDDA BE DAT TUM MUHFUGGEN

You gotta be a careful fine upstanding member of society here: The undead brothas are out to eat your meat (no homo) and you gotta shoot them like they were the po po on crack.

Move into the next room, carefully, and shoot whatever the hell comes at you.

Internet Delay Chat
Have fun playing!
To chat with other players, you must Join Forumwarz or Log In now!