Buy Official Merchandise!
Forumwarz is the first "Massively Single-Player" online RPG completely built around Internet culture.

You are currently looking at Flamebate, our community forums. Players can discuss the game here, strategize, and role play as their characters.

You need to be logged in to post and to see the uncensored versions of these forums.

Civil Discussion
Switch to Role-Playing Civil Discussion
Writing Books

KING KING KI-
NG KING KING-
KING

Avatar: 190122 2011-07-31 00:25:04 -0400

Level 62 Troll

Mbumive fabulous person Mbumive fabulous person Mbumive fabulous person

Can someone list all the books they thought have helped the advancement of our society one way or the other… like the bible, quran, origin of species, etc

basically one that have impacted our society… not twilight, harry potter or some bull**** like that

KING KING KING KING KING KING edited this message on 09/24/2009 8:05PM

AIDS woman's genitals

Avatar: 184403 2009-09-17 04:10:15 -0400

Level 69 Troll

show me your zucchini and I'll show you my cugreat timesber :zak:

­

AIDS CUNT edited this message on 04/28/2010 5:00PM

KING KING KI-
NG KING KING-
KING

Level 62 Troll

AIDS woman's genitals Posted:

Has the Bible or the Koran or any other religious book really helped mankind in any way?

Taught mankind modern morals, represents the begininngs of the common era, but like i said one way or the other. (you have heard of them, as so it has impacted you)

/intellectual checkmate

KING KING KING KING KING KING edited this message on 09/25/2009 10:07AM

AIDS woman's genitals

Level 69 Troll

­

AIDS CUNT edited this message on 04/28/2010 5:01PM

KING KING KI-
NG KING KING-
KING

Level 62 Troll

AIDS woman's genitals Posted:

Taught mankind the first morals. We would have worked them out anyway.(for all the good it’s done society)

Represents the begininngs of the common era.And again,we would have conceived a way to measure time.

You have heard of them, as so it has impacted you.I may have heard of them,but I certainly have not read them so the impact of there existence on me is much lesser than someone who has read them.

we can argue this all night, but im deist and dont give a ****, but i do acknowledge their impact on society and have read them to not be ignorant of the other persons point of view

sorry i forgot i made a commitment to deism a while ago

KING KING KING KING KING KING edited this message on 09/24/2009 8:28PM

mterek

Avatar: 192622 2009-09-24 16:39:01 -0400

[mahjong]

Level 69 Re-Re

$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$

The Art of War

History of the Peloponnesian War

The Republic

Politics

The Prince

The Leviathan

Uncle Tom’s Cabin

Romance of the Three Kingdoms

Gulliver’s Travels

The Jungle

The Catcher in the Rye

Fie

Avatar: 152207 2011-11-01 00:46:41 -0400

[And The Banned Pla-
yed On
]

Level 47 Camwhore

I want to see some real, live poop.

A Critique Of Pure Reason

KING KING KI-
NG KING KING-
KING

Level 62 Troll

mterek Posted:

The Art of War

History of the Peloponnesian War

The Republic

Politics

The Prince

The Leviathan

Uncle Tom’s Cabin

Romance of the Three Kingdoms

Gulliver’s Travels

The Jungle

The Catcher in the Rye

thnks

Miley_Cyrus

Avatar: 206513 2009-09-17 03:28:27 -0400

Level 15 Camwhore

“Attention Slut”

Here are some of my favorites

1. Facebook

2. Splatterpunks 2

3. The Hollow Earth

4. Babbit

5. Silas Marner

6. Chicken Soup for the Teenage Soul

7. Kon Tiki

Miley_Cyrus edited this message on 09/24/2009 8:28PM

man-man

Avatar: 156485 2010-01-24 16:36:14 -0500

[Harem and Sushi Bar]

Level 69 Hacker

Selfish fine upstanding member of society

KingKloskowski Posted:

Taught mankind the first morals, represents the begininngs of the common era

Every “moral” found in the Bible was a feature of earlier codes of law. The gold standard of biblical morality (the 10 commandments) are primarily a series of prohibitions against following other gods, the only 2 now found in law are against murder and stealing, which have been in just about every set of laws ever devised.

The impact of religious texts is, as far as I can see, primarily to further the spread of the religion in question. That in turn has had a fairly long-standing effect on our society, but let’s just say I wouldn’t cast that in an entirely positive light. They’ve had their role in shaping our culture, certainly, if that’s what you’re looking for then go ahead, but the lessons therein aren’t going to illuminate much of the world (unless you become a believer, at that point it is of course the most important book ever written)

Morality itself pre-dates the Bible by thousands if not millions of years – hunter-gatherer and early agricultural societies weren’t devoid of morals, apes have been shown to act altruistically, even dogs have a sense of fairness. I’m aware I’ve gone on quite a while here about a simple comment, but the idea that religion is the basis of all morality is really very wrong.

KingKloskowski Posted:

You have heard of them, as so it has impacted you

You’ve heard of Twilight and Harry Potter, therefore they’ve “impacted” on you, but they don’t fall under the clbum of book you’re looking for.

As for actual important books…

As scientific works go, The Origin of Species, Newton’s Principia Mathematica, anything written by Einstein. The problem with trying to list them being that a lot of important science was published in some variety of journal rather than a book that would still be around…

I’ll add support to The Republic, although you appear to have crossed it out. Also Descartes’ Meditations. Aristotle’s ideas were taken as read for thousands of years, not sure if there’s a specific book you can read there though.

KING KING KI-
NG KING KING-
KING

Level 62 Troll

man-man Posted:

You’ve heard of Twilight and Harry Potter, therefore they’ve “impacted” on you, but they don’t fall under the clbum of book you’re looking for.

As for actual important books…

As scientific works go, The Origin of Species, Newton’s Principia Mathematica, anything written by Einstein. The problem with trying to list them being that a lot of important science was published in some variety of journal rather than a book that would still be around…

I’ll add support to The Republic, although you appear to have crossed it out. Also Descartes’ Meditations. Aristotle’s ideas were taken as read for thousands of years, not sure if there’s a specific book you can read there though.

look man i read scientific books, political books, religious books, herioc books, myths and such… im NOT saying that the bible invented morals, NO that does predates the bible, im saying that the bible has instilled some sort of ethics on us. pick a book that many people read, some seriously take it word for word, that was around a long time, and yet people continue to read it, its not harry potter. harry potter did not make people go to war, make organizations dedicated to it, nor influenced millions of people one way or the other

KING KING KING KING KING KING edited this message on 09/24/2009 8:54PM

Vageena Davis

Avatar: 151797 2010-01-24 16:34:00 -0500

[pizza party]

Level 69 Camwhore

I am easily offended. I also suck fine upstanding member of society male reproductive organs.

100 Most Influential Books, according to Martin Seymour-Smith.

100 Most Influential Books of the 20th Century, according to a survey by the Library of Congress.

You might not like some of the books on either or both of the lists but you can’t deny that they’ve been influential, for better or worse, on modern society.

man-man

Avatar: 156485 2010-01-24 16:36:14 -0500

[Harem and Sushi Bar]

Level 69 Hacker

Selfish fine upstanding member of society

KingKloskowski Posted:

look man i read scientific books, political books, religious books, herioc books, myths and such… im NOT saying that the bible invented morals, NO that does predates the bible, im saying that the bible has instilled some sort of ethics on us. pick a book that many people read, some seriously take it word for word, that was around a long time, and yet people continue to read it, its not harry potter. harry potter did not make people go to war, make organizations dedicated to it, nor influenced millions of people one way or the other

Sorry, I’m derailing your book thread, but it’s kind of my subject… and you did say “Taught mankind the first morals”. Sounds a lot like a claim that the Bible invented morality.

For books starting wars… I would keep half an eye on Twilight in that respect – the fanbase for it seems to have a touch of the crazy about them. Who knows how long we have before they declare holy war on the rest of us in the name of their perfect (and sparkly) vampire hero.

KING KING KI-
NG KING KING-
KING

Level 62 Troll

man-man Posted:

Sorry, I’m derailing your book thread, but it’s kind of my subject… and you did say “Taught mankind the first morals”. Sounds a lot like a claim that the Bible invented morality.

For books starting wars… I would keep half an eye on Twilight in that respect – the fanbase for it seems to have a touch of the crazy about them. Who knows how long we have before they declare holy war on the rest of us in the name of their perfect (and sparkly) vampire hero.

well sorry im not re-reading my work ever so often as i do with term papers..

LETS GO TO WAR IN THE HOLY NAME OF DUMBLEDORE!!!!

(btw vageena’s got the right idea)

KING KING KING KING KING KING edited this message on 09/25/2009 10:16AM

ChilePepino

Avatar: 101005 2010-01-24 16:17:40 -0500

[Full of SbumSS]

Level 35 Permanoob

Well, spf357 really rocks.

hey guys, let’s turn a discussion about books into another religious bashing thread, we never have enough of those.

Shii

Avatar: 23167 2010-01-24 16:31:18 -0500

[Phantasmagoric Spl-
endor
]

Level 35 Emo Kid

I haven't seen a bad idea that I didn't like.

ChilePepino Posted:

hey guys, let’s turn a discussion about books into another religious bashing thread, we never have enough of those.

This, seriously.

Regardless of whether you believe it or not, no one can deny that the Bible has been one of the most influential books ever.

So, moving on.

What about a book like The Jungle?

Vageena Davis

Avatar: 151797 2010-01-24 16:34:00 -0500

[pizza party]

Level 69 Camwhore

I am easily offended. I also suck fine upstanding member of society male reproductive organs.

ChilePepino Posted:

This. The religion bashing gets tiring after a bit because everyone’s heard it all before.

It seems to me like the objections to religion are when religion is turned into a tool of governance. I would argue that the Bible, the Koran, the Torah, The Upanishads and basically every other “official” holy book of a major religion did influence the world and mostly for the better. No, they certainly weren’t the first written codes of morality, but they are some of the earliest that are still in use today. Granted, people do some terrible things in the name of God or religion, but not any worse than the things people do in the name of other abstract concepts like the state, freedom, or other ideologies. At the same time many wholly secular books have caused just as much suffering and death over the past 100 years as any religious tome.

For example, we could go back and forth and argue about Rachael Carson’s Silent Spring (1962) all day. Some people say it was one of the most important environmental books ever because it lead to the banning of DDT, which weakens or thins the shells of birds. At the same time, other argue that the banning of DDT has lead to hundreds of thousands of malaria deaths in the third world because DDT is the cheapest, most effective mosquito killer ever made.

Another book that I didn’t notice on either list was Francis Fukuyama’s “The End of History and the Last Man” (1992) which was essentially the beginning of the modern neoconservative movement and one of the biggest intellectual influences on America’s recent military adventurism. His thesis, summed up in a sentence, was “liberal parliamentary democracies are the best form of government and they will become more prevalent over time.” Some people misinterpreted this as “we need to do everything we can to increase the rate at which democracy spreads.” Again, there can be plenty of criticism of this book, but I don’t think it can be argued that it wasn’t influential and had a major affect upon the world.

Sorry if I was a little Log in to see images!

AIDS woman's genitals

Level 69 Troll

­

AIDS CUNT edited this message on 04/28/2010 5:02PM

Aldo_Anything

Avatar: 32555 2014-07-18 11:39:53 -0400

[Brainfreeze]

Level 69 Troll

male reproductive organMEISTER

Wilson, Robert Anton & Shea, Robert. Illuminatus!. 1975

I like all of Wilson’s books, but that was the first one I read. Mindblowing and with a certain influence on (pop) culture.

Aldo_Anything edited this message on 09/25/2009 12:40PM

KING KING KI-
NG KING KING-
KING

Level 62 Troll

i feel as i haven’t contributed anything…

the communist manifesto – Karl Marx

Candide – Voltaire

the divine comedy – Dante

beyond good and evil – Nietzsche

paradise lost – John Milton

the Aeneid of Virgil – Virgil

all of Plato’s philosophical books

Internet Delay Chat
Have fun playing!
To chat with other players, you must Join Forumwarz or Log In now!