Buy Brownie Points
Forumwarz is the first "Massively Single-Player" online RPG completely built around Internet culture.

You are currently looking at Flamebate, our community forums. Players can discuss the game here, strategize, and role play as their characters.

You need to be logged in to post and to see the uncensored versions of these forums.

Civil Discussion
Switch to Role-Playing Civil Discussion
Shock to all uTorrent users!

STGill

[Dev-Null]

Level 14 Hacker

DELETED ACCOUNT

To all my pirate friends: uTorrent has been sold to BITTORRENT. It has been verified that uTorrent version newer than 1.61 are sending information to the MPAA and RIAA on your downloading habits without your consent or knowledge. PLEASE if you are using newer versions of uTorrent downgrade to 1.6.1 and turn off DHT and Peer Exchange for your own safety. uTorrent 1.6.1 is SAFE. Newer versions are NOT this has been verified by several programmers at ilovetorrents.com

STGill edited this message on 12/20/2008 10:45PM

momentumener-
gy

Level 35 Hacker

“43 4f 44 45 20 4d 41 53 54 45 52”

Arr! Thank you for this very important announcement, matey.

Will downgrade now.

FalconFour

Avatar: 69421 Wed Aug 12 05:13:59 -0400 2009

Level 35 Troll

Minty Fresh

I actually double and triple checked the month/day/year of this topic to see if this was really a current topic.

That is so old news that it’s hard to believe there is anyone left on the internet that thinks it’s news.

If you’d notice, the BitTorrent official client is just a branded version of uTorrent.

uTorrent is still safe to use, after about a month of paranoid monitoring and etc., from paranoid users that think it’s evil… and over a full year later, it’s still shown to be an honest client.

Fingerz

Avatar: 22863 2010-11-15 01:15:51 -0500

[7 VIBRATING DOLDOES]

Level 35 Emo Kid

A neverhasbeen

STGill

[Dev-Null]

Level 14 Hacker

DELETED ACCOUNT

FalconFour Posted:

I actually double and triple checked the month/day/year of this topic to see if this was really a current topic.

That is so old news that it’s hard to believe there is anyone left on the internet that thinks it’s news.

If you’d notice, the BitTorrent official client is just a branded version of uTorrent.

uTorrent is still safe to use, after about a month of paranoid monitoring and etc., from paranoid users that think it’s evil… and over a full year later, it’s still shown to be an honest client.

First: It’s not “NEWS” to me, except I was just offered irrefutable proof that post 1.6.1 clients are NOT safe.

DOWNGRADE.

FalconFour

Level 35 Troll

Minty Fresh

STGill Posted:

First: It’s not “NEWS” to me, except I was just offered irrefutable proof that post 1.6.1 clients are NOT safe.

DOWNGRADE.

“I have proof!”
—>
”DOWNGRADE TO AN ANCIENT AND BANNED-ON-MOST-SERVERS VERSION NOW!”

Isn’t exactly a logical progression of events. Are you going to offer this proof or just FUD us to death?

STGill

[Dev-Null]

Level 14 Hacker

DELETED ACCOUNT

STGill Posted:

DOWNGRADE.

Go speak with “rushed” on ilovetorrents.com and he can explain things.

DarkDespair5

Avatar: 77864 Thu Jun 04 08:28:46 -0400 2009

Level 56 Hacker

“Logic Bomber”

STGill Posted:

I know my **** and Utorrent was merely bought out. Wireshark shows data transfer that only includes 1) A version number and 2) DHT routing data. There’s nothing to worry about. There is no Secret Spy Code I could find with my disbumembler.

Open Utorrent, disable version checking and DHT. No data sent to Utorrent’s servers. N-O-N-E.

FalconFour

Level 35 Troll

Minty Fresh

STGill Posted:

Alright, let’s try this again.

bumume I do know practically everything there is to know about the technical workings of torrents, TCP/IP networking, etc… and post some kind of “proof” that this random person on some random torrent site gave you.

Fact of the matter is, if there were anything, all the big torrent news sites would have posted epic stories about it in the year that BitTorrent has owned (and solely developed) uTorrent.

DarkDespair5

Avatar: 77864 Thu Jun 04 08:28:46 -0400 2009

Level 56 Hacker

“Logic Bomber”

FalconFour Posted:

Alright, let’s try this again.

bumume I do know practically everything there is to know about the technical workings of torrents, TCP/IP networking, etc… and post some kind of “proof” that this random person on some random torrent site gave you.

Fact of the matter is, if there were anything, all the big torrent news sites would have posted epic stories about it in the year that BitTorrent has owned (and solely developed) uTorrent.

YES!

Check it out with a firewall. No suspicious things. No spying. It could be so hidden that nobody has found it yet. But that’s a non-issue, since my outgoing and incoming data is clean. QED.

DarkDespair5 edited this message on 12/20/2008 11:49PM

STGill

[Dev-Null]

Level 14 Hacker

DELETED ACCOUNT

Well I err on the side of caution. I did not post this to start a fight.

If you trust uTorrent 1.8.1…then by all means use it.

If not, 1.6.1 is KNOWN to be safe.

That’s all I’m saying.

Note: I would fell alot better if uTorrent would just release the ****ing source. I am even more uncomfortable with the fact BITTORRENT has a partnership with the MPAA and made agreements to “curb piracy”.

I would use Azureus but I ****ing hate Java apps.

STGill edited this message on 12/21/2008 4:28PM

Are-

Avatar: 90963 Mon Dec 15 03:10:56 -0500 2008

[Giveupalready]

Level 35 Hacker

The Biscuit Kid is my GOD, and I'm a piece of ****!

STGill Posted:

Well I err on the side of caution. I did not post this to start a fight.

If you trust uTorrent 1.8.1…then by all means use it.

That’s all I’m saying.

PROOF or GTFO.

FalconFour

Level 35 Troll

Minty Fresh

STGill Posted:

Not really. It’s so outdated that any exploits found in it (like the remote crash exploit) will affect your crappy old version. Whereas on the other hand, the new “omg evil” BitTorrent version has proven to be 100% safe.

Hmm…

Laguna

Avatar: 49898 Sun Dec 28 00:52:49 -0500 2008

Level 35 Troll

I LOVE LAGUNA. I ALSO LOVE SUCKING FAT male reproductive organS.

This damn well better not be true!

I’ve been using uTorrent for years and I don’t even use Peer Guardian. Log in to see images!

STGill

[Dev-Null]

Level 14 Hacker

DELETED ACCOUNT

FalconFour Posted:

Not really. It’s so outdated that any exploits found in it (like the remote crash exploit) will affect your crappy old version. Whereas on the other hand, the new “omg evil” BitTorrent version has proven to be 100% safe.

Hmm…

I did not mean to imply the client was safe against exploits…because it’s not. NO client is safe against exploits though, there is always an exploit. There’s just no such thing as an iron box.

STGill

[Dev-Null]

Level 14 Hacker

DELETED ACCOUNT

Are- Posted:

PROOF or GTFO.

I’m working on acquiring hard evidence now. I would very much like to study it in detail myself.

FalconFour

Level 35 Troll

Minty Fresh

STGill Posted:

I’m working on acquiring hard evidence now. I would very much like to study it in detail myself.

Now we’re getting somewhere. At least we managed to get you to realize that one random person on one random torrent site’s random claims should not be taken as gospel. Log in to see images!

STGill

[Dev-Null]

Level 14 Hacker

DELETED ACCOUNT

FalconFour Posted:

Now we’re getting somewhere. At least we managed to get you to realize that one random person on one random torrent site’s random claims should not be taken as gospel. Log in to see images!

No but there has been enough talk that you shouldn’t blindly trust that uTorrent isn’t sucking the MPAA’s male reproductive organ either.

I have requested the “proof” ilovetorrents.com speaks of, hopefully they will offer packet logs.

STGill edited this message on 12/21/2008 4:48PM

FalconFour

Level 35 Troll

Minty Fresh

STGill Posted:

No but there has been enough talk that you shouldn’t blindly trust that uTorrent isn’t sucking the MPAA’s male reproductive organ either.

I never blindly trust anything… hence the replies ITT. Log in to see images!

STGill

[Dev-Null]

Level 14 Hacker

DELETED ACCOUNT

FalconFour Posted:

I never blindly trust anything… hence the replies ITT. Log in to see images!

True dat. But like I said, there is a enough talk that I felt that post was warranted.

Update: I spoke with RUSHED on ilovetorrents.com and he said “google” as a source, well I have ****ing googled every keyword I can pin to this damn issue and most of the internet seems to agree that it’s “not yet proven” but that there is plenty of reason to be suspicious.

BUT these facts remain true.

*The MPAA and Bittorrent INC DID enter into an anti-piracy partnership.

*The details of this partnership are not clear nor are they public.

*BT Inc. purchased uTorrent.

*uTorrent is not open source.

*BT Inc. intends to use the BT model in order to make money and have stated in the past they intend to “legitimize” BT.

These are all very real issues that should warrant your attention.

I would very much like to see a decompile of uT at some point.

STGill edited this message on 12/22/2008 2:53PM
Internet Delay Chat
Have fun playing!
To chat with other players, you must Join Forumwarz or Log In now!