Buy Brownie Points
Forumwarz is the first "Massively Single-Player" online RPG completely built around Internet culture.

You are currently looking at Flamebate, our community forums. Players can discuss the game here, strategize, and role play as their characters.

You need to be logged in to post and to see the uncensored versions of these forums.

Civil Discussion
Switch to Role-Playing Civil Discussion

Viewing a Post

fembot_

Avatar: 228325 2010-10-14 02:40:07 -0400

[Lee Harvey Oswalds-
Orphan Powered De-
ath Machine
]

Level 55 Camwhore

Somehow managed to lower the intelligence level of IDC

I’ve been trying to avoid replying to this thread, but I can’t help myself anymore. To be completely honest, I do think it’s a terribly insensitive article. And as far as what Bacchus said, about letting the overweight go uncriticized leading to complacency on the subject- I don’t think that’s really going to happen.

People can/will cite a number of medical conditions that “cause” their obesity (like polycystic ovarian syndrome and endometriosis) but cushing’s disease aside, the most common MEDICAL cause of obesity is depression. The last thing that’s going to motivate an overweight individual to better their health is mockery and loathing.

My personal feelings on whether or not “fatties should get a room”...no.

So anyway, yes, I think I’d be grossed out if I had to watch two characters with rolls and rolls of fat kissing each other … because I’d be grossed out if I had to watch them doing anything. To be brutally honest, even in real life, I find it aesthetically displeasing to watch a very, very fat person simply walk across a room — just like I’d find it distressing if I saw a very drunk person stumbling across a bar or a heroine addict slumping in a chair.

None of this grosses me out. When I personally know the people, it may make me a bit sad, or may make me want to help them, but saying that things like obesity (which no matter how you look at it IS at its core a medical issue) need to be kept behind closed doors is like saying we ought to ignore everything from eczema to cerebral palsy as well. It’s total crap to believe that allowing obese people to be broadcast on television or in advertisements is going to make people think it’s “okay” to be fat. I don’t know one overweight person that truly wants to stay that way. If the person that wrote this article really wanted to do something about the obesity epidemic, they should be writing their congressmen about teaching nutrition and exercise (not the watered down 10 minute version we have now) in public schools, not sitting on their bum bawwwing on the internet.

My family covers both extremes- I have very obese relatives and relatives that are fitness nuts. When people make a big damned deal out of calling someone out as fat, making an insult out of it, I do get angry. Not because I’m fat, but because there are lots of people I love that are. And they’re no less valuable as human beings because of their size.

Oh, btw, Fingerz, I think a heroine addict is one of those people that compulsively watches old episodes of Xena: Warrior Princess and Buffy The Vampire Slayer.

Internet Delay Chat
Have fun playing!
To chat with other players, you must Join Forumwarz or Log In now!