Buy Brownie Points
Forumwarz is the first "Massively Single-Player" online RPG completely built around Internet culture.

You are currently looking at Flamebate, our community forums. Players can discuss the game here, strategize, and role play as their characters.

You need to be logged in to post and to see the uncensored versions of these forums.

Civil Discussion
Switch to Role-Playing Civil Discussion

Viewing a Post

Patently Chi-
ll Prestidig-
itator

Avatar: 128746 2011-10-09 04:24:59 -0400

[love is a dog from-
hell
]

Level 69 Troll

Celerysteve is incredible... he is just so... so incredible.

Totally ripped this from another forum but heres the deal (also no red text itt for me because wall of colored text is hard to read):

The basic idea is that each player takes on the role of a scholar, from before scholarly pursuits became professionalized (or possibly after they ceased to be). You are cranky, opinionated, prejudiced and eccentric. You are also collaborating with a number of your peers — the other players — on the construction of an encyclopedia describing some historical period (possibly of a fantastic world).

The game is played in 26 turns, one for each letter of the alphabet.

1. On the first turn, each player writes an entry for the letter ‘A’. You come up with the name of the entry, and you write 100-200 words on the subject. At the end of the article, you sign your name, and make two citations to other entries in the encyclopedia. These citations will be Phantoms — their names exist, but their content will get filled in only on the appropriate turn.

2. On the second and subsequent turns, you continue to write entries for B, C, D and so on. However, you need to make three citations. One must be a reference to an already-written entry, and two must be to unwritten entries. Once the letter X is reached, the rule changes again: two references to already-written entries and one phantom. The letter Z will only have two references to already-written entries.

It’s an academic sin to cite yourself, you can never cite an entry you’ve written. Same deal for writing a phantom that you created, not allowed. (OOC, this forces the players to intertwingle their entries, so that everybody depends on everyone else’s facts.)

3. Despite the fact that your peers are self-important, narrow-minded dunderheads, they are honest scholars. No matter how strained their interpretations are, their facts are accurate as historical research can make them. So if you cite an entry, you have to treat its factual content as true! (Though you can argue vociferously with the interpretation and introduce new facts that shade the interpretation.)

4. When you cite a Phantom, write it <<like this>>. The Moderators and I will compile a list of Phantoms when we log in every day. After a Phantom has been written, the person who originally cited it will edit the citing entry to link them together.

The subject of this Lexicon is as follows:

“Symposium Mandated Bibliognostic Enyclopedia: A Compendium of Knowledge on the Flamebate community, as written by the Scholars and Descendants thereof”

5. It is written a good two centuries after the forums died, but there is one important caveat to this: At NO TIME should there be a definite date regarding the death of the Forums. Infractions of this rule will lead to deletion of the offending entry as well as ten points being docked from the Author’s final score.

At the beginning of each round, available topics will be listed and people will get to pick. If you can’t come up with a topic, let the GM know, so he can bumign one to you. Phantoms are picked on a first-come, first-served basis, although players can call dibs on a topic in the citing entry’s comments. Players can only call dibs on one topic at a time.

If an entry flatly contradicts the events set down in another entry, the one that was posted first is the official entry. The offending player must correct his entry. More often than not, though, seemingly contradictory entries can be reconciled with the rest with the proper application of spin (or judicious editing). Remember, if you can rationalise it to the satisfaction of the community, it’s a part of history.

Scoring

One point is awarded for participation in each turn.

Fifteen points will be awarded at the end of the game for the Featured Entry, as voted by the players.

Ten points deducted for failure to abide by rule 5.

Gold Stars awarded as a Lexicon mod sees fit.

At the end of the 26th round, I will make a wikia wiki with all the articles. Until then, any willing players should sign up itt and will receive a klan invite to Forumwarz: Lexicon from John Locke II.

Also, if you want to help me manage this game, TM me. I will be selecting 2 mods who can not play and will just help keep it all in line.

Application end date on June 20th, when I will be selecting a total of 15 players of those who applied

Patently Chill Prestidigitator edited this message on 06/15/2010 4:49AM
Internet Delay Chat
Have fun playing!
To chat with other players, you must Join Forumwarz or Log In now!