Buy Official Merchandise!
Forumwarz is the first "Massively Single-Player" online RPG completely built around Internet culture.

You are currently looking at Flamebate, our community forums. Players can discuss the game here, strategize, and role play as their characters.

You need to be logged in to post and to see the uncensored versions of these forums.

Civil Discussion
Switch to Role-Playing Civil Discussion

Viewing a Post

man-man

Avatar: 156485 2010-01-24 16:36:14 -0500

[Harem and Sushi Bar]

Level 69 Hacker

Selfish fine upstanding member of society

SoronTheBeast Posted:

Most people that use the “more bad than good” argument don’t realize that religion was one of the main reasons people first came together in larger groups than hunter/gather tribes, and is more or less the first ‘step’ in the road to civilization.

I don’t use the ‘more bad than good’ thing, it’s too easy for that to lead into a drawn out argument trying to enumerate every good/bad deed ever done in the name of religion. But I thought the main reason people came together into larger groups was for agricultural purposes; it allows a more stable lifestyle, but requires more people co-operating than you need for a successful hunt/gather operation.

Drakodan Posted:

such as Descartes’ argument. ‘I have an idea of God, and it didn’t come from nowhere, so God must exist for the thought to exist.’

I have an idea of a flying spaghetti monster, but that doesn’t prove its existence. In the same way that the ontological argument fails at proving Gods existence.

I agree Descartes’ argument is shot through with holes, but he did at least try to justify why “I have an idea of god” was different from “I have an idea of a flying spaghetti monster”, in that his idea of god contained ideas like perfection and infinity, which he considered impossible to come by through life experience or imagination.

You could get ideas of spaghetti and flight from going to Italy and watching birds, so a flying spaghetti monster is quite easy to invent. I would hold that perfection/infinity are the logical extensions of good/many, and hence also inventable, but Descartes thought otherwise.

Internet Delay Chat
Have fun playing!
To chat with other players, you must Join Forumwarz or Log In now!