Buy Brownie Points
Forumwarz is the first "Massively Single-Player" online RPG completely built around Internet culture.

You are currently looking at Flamebate, our community forums. Players can discuss the game here, strategize, and role play as their characters.

You need to be logged in to post and to see the uncensored versions of these forums.

Civil Discussion
Switch to Role-Playing Civil Discussion

Viewing a Post

man-man

Avatar: 156485 2010-01-24 16:36:14 -0500

[Harem and Sushi Bar]

Level 69 Hacker

Selfish fine upstanding member of society

twelveinch_nowblowme Posted:

How can you come to the conclusion that there is more than one gene that produces the phenotype homosexuality? Does any of you have a degree in genetics? It could be lots of different factors that produce the trait.

I agree that there are almost certainly a lot of factors going into a person’s sexuality, at a guess I would say that several of those ‘factors’ are genes. I don’t think we’re really in disagreement here… as for ‘how can you come to the conclusion’, the evidence for their being multiple genes involved is that we have yet to isolate a specific gay gene, and if there were a single, singular purpose, gay gene (a gene that makes 100% of people gay and does nothing else) then natural selection would remove it from the gene pool. So if there’s a genetic element, which seems very likely, then it would have to involve multiple genes.

Did you know that your visual cortex is not fully developed when you are born? If you grow up in an environment without lines (as an example no horizontal or vertical lines) or an environment without round objects, you won’t be able to see those lines or round objects in adulthood.

Yes, early experience does a lot to condition your senses, I doubt it’s going to make unfamiliar things invisible (you won’t find that “you won’t be able to see those [things]”.) but it does affect what your senses are attuned to. Over in Asia where tonal languages are common, so pitch is important for the meanings of words, a much larger proportion of people have “perfect pitch”. While all this is interesting I don’t quite see the connection to the subject at hand.

Sickle cell anemia is linked to only one gene (Hb), and I don’t really understand how you can compare homosexuality with a blood disease after stating gayness is linked to multiple genes… I might have misunderstood you here though, hehe.

The comparison to Sickle Cell Anaemia is relevant to the idea that a gene involved in homosexuality could be selected for by evolution, despite it being detrimental to the odds of a carrier having children. If the gene is beneficial enough in one case, it can outweigh it’s evolutionary downsides in another case and cause the gene, overall, to be selected for. The gene for sickle-cells is beneficial when you have one copy, detrimental if you have 2, but resistance to malaria is a valuable enough trait for the gene to stay in the pool. In the same way, a “find men more attractive” gene would get itself pbumed on more frequently when it’s in a woman, but less frequently when in men, and overall could still be selected for.

The human body and its development is more complex than you think.

I’m sure it’s highly complex, but that’s no reason to not speculate, and we’re not pretending to know everything about it.

Now to answer the question: I think that you’re born gay (linked to genetics), or that it at least develops in the very early years of life. I’m gay, and most of my other gay friends agree. I also think that more people are bisexual than what are currently thought (gays and lesbos included!). It’s been shown through surveys that more than 80% of all males would like to have sexual relations with a close friend or someone else as long as they knew it would not get out.

Sexuality’s a complicated thing, doesn’t drop neatly into “straight”, “gay” or “bi”, everyone’s going to be attracted to different things in different ways. Most people are strongly hetero, but even then you might have a weak attraction to some people of the same sex as well.

man-man edited this message on 09/20/2009 3:46PM
Internet Delay Chat
Have fun playing!
To chat with other players, you must Join Forumwarz or Log In now!