Check out our blog!
Forumwarz is the first "Massively Single-Player" online RPG completely built around Internet culture.

You are currently looking at Flamebate, our community forums. Players can discuss the game here, strategize, and role play as their characters.

You need to be logged in to post and to see the uncensored versions of these forums.

Civil Discussion
Switch to Role-Playing Civil Discussion

Viewing a Post

man-man

Avatar: 156485 2010-01-24 16:36:14 -0500

[Harem and Sushi Bar]

Level 69 Hacker

Selfish fine upstanding member of society

I can offer general points that apply to any discussion of an often-sensitive subject. The key one is recognising that people tend to have some kind of reason for believing what they do, that isn’t just to be annoying and awkward in internet discussions.

Sometimes people really are just stupid, and have a set of beliefs that are inconsistent, ill-founded and generally nonsensical. Such people can often be picked out by their use of all-caps and frequent reference to how you’re going to “brn in hel, fabulous personget” if you disagree with them. These types are inimical to sensible discussion and should be ignored, or dealt with by use of extreme sarcasm. It won’t make the slightest impact on them, but it can be fun to poke them and see what happens if you like that kind of thing.

I’d hope more commonly, people are not pants-on-head very special, and do have their reasons… I seem to have spent more time talking about the retards than I intended to, it was just a fun subject, but anyway… first step is trying to understand why it is that people hold the beliefs they do, without jumping to the “brainwashed/dumb****” conclusion, that way you can at least speak about their actual beliefs instead of taking a guess then insulting them when you tell them all the ways that their reasons are wrong without mentioning any of the reasons they actually have.

Easier to do in a private conversation than a public discussion.

This post is longer in every way than I set out to make it, I get verbose when I’m tired…

Internet Delay Chat
Have fun playing!
To chat with other players, you must Join Forumwarz or Log In now!