Buy Brownie Points
Forumwarz is the first "Massively Single-Player" online RPG completely built around Internet culture.

You are currently looking at Flamebate, our community forums. Players can discuss the game here, strategize, and role play as their characters.

You need to be logged in to post and to see the uncensored versions of these forums.

Civil Discussion
Switch to Role-Playing Civil Discussion

Viewing a Post

mterek

Avatar: 192622 2009-09-24 16:39:01 -0400

[mahjong]

Level 69 Re-Re

$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$

Veeeeeron Posted:

My solution would be to make it so that you can only downvote one submission for every two submissions you have upvoted. This way the cream of the crap will still be removed, but it will prevent clans from having 5 or 6 people insta-nuke everything once voting opens.

I don’t agree, since most of the submissions are bad. The focus should be on preventing trash from getting published rather trying to get the best submission published. This is because if we focus on the latter, i.e. a very pro-upvoting agenda, there’s a greater chance of lame stuff getting published compared to the first scenario where only the very best (or least worst) pbumes.

I’ve had a submission go from -4 to +8. That wasn’t even close to enough votes to win (the winner was +32) but it helps demonstrate how submissions are contingent not really on downvoters, but exposure.

I doubt most people are going to click the “more random submissions” bumon and vote for more than a single page’s worth of votes. This means, the more submissions, the less exposure one’s submission has to voters and the greater weight of votes by those who downvote indiscriminately.

IMV, the “random submissions” should not be completely random. They should be given a bell distribution – for example on the forum voting menu, there’s three submissions to choose from. Simply make one a random high voter, one from a middle of the road one and one from a lower bracket. This also provides a relative scale for evaluating the quality.

In this case, even if someone downvotes all three, the whole brackets are adjusted in response, so their effect is minimized.

Internet Delay Chat
Have fun playing!
To chat with other players, you must Join Forumwarz or Log In now!