Buy Official Merchandise!
Forumwarz is the first "Massively Single-Player" online RPG completely built around Internet culture.

You are currently looking at Flamebate, our community forums. Players can discuss the game here, strategize, and role play as their characters.

You need to be logged in to post and to see the uncensored versions of these forums.

Civil Discussion
Switch to Role-Playing Civil Discussion

Viewing a Post

plk

Avatar: 9972 2010-01-24 16:28:42 -0500

[Brainfreeze]

Level 69 Emo Kid

“The Infinite Sadness”

Shii Posted:

Because “marriage” carries a lot of religious and controversial attitudes by a lot of people.

If you make it equal legally and use the nice, sterile, unbumuming term “civil unions” for everyone, and let people call them what they want, and carry out their marriages in the fashion they choose, everyone should be happy.

Christians can call them marriages and do their religious thing, I’m sure gays will call them marriages too, and will do their thing in their own way. Taxes and next of kin will be equal, everyone wins.

EDIT: I mean changing the term as far as government is concerned. You’re not going to be able to keep people from using the word “marriage” in day to day life.

I think that’s pretty messed up to give “marriages” performed in a church one name and the same marriages performed civilly another name. That leads to inequality and I bumure you that those two types of relationships will not be treated equally because, if for no other reason, they don’t have the same name.

I find it interesting that until gays wanted to get married, there was no movement to make non-religious unions “only” civil unions. You can get a civil marriage anytime you want, but what you are once you have signed your marriage certificate is married. And I know of no big religious movement to change that. To me, that right there demonstrates that this issue is about bigotry rather than preventing unbelievers from sharing the same word.

And boy, Canada must be a nation of heathens or something. I hear that gay marriage has been legal there for 4 years! They must not have any Christians in their country.

plk edited this message on 06/03/2009 1:08AM
Internet Delay Chat
Have fun playing!
To chat with other players, you must Join Forumwarz or Log In now!