Check out our blog!
Forumwarz is the first "Massively Single-Player" online RPG completely built around Internet culture.

You are currently looking at Flamebate, our community forums. Players can discuss the game here, strategize, and role play as their characters.

You need to be logged in to post and to see the uncensored versions of these forums.

Civil Discussion
Switch to Role-Playing Civil Discussion

Viewing a Post

Shii

Avatar: 23167 2010-01-24 16:31:18 -0500

[Phantasmagoric Spl-
endor
]

Level 35 Emo Kid

I haven't seen a bad idea that I didn't like.

Samildanach Posted:

This is the part of your post I find summarizes the problem with what you propose. So, Muslims and Jews and Buddhists and Wiccans and Native Americans can’t call their lifelong unions “marriages” because “marriage” is going to be redefined as solely the result of a Christian ceremony? Can we narrow it down while we’re at it? Maybe only the Catholics can “marry.”

For most of history, marriage was pretty much an arrangement between families who wanted to create kinship anyway – nothing like the modern concept. Christianity made it into a liturgical rite, but the English word “marriage” extends far beyond that. We use it to describe what the ancient Greeks had, we use it describe Norse “marriages” in the pre-Christian age and Comanche “marriages” and no one ever complained about that.

“Letting” some people call their lifelong committed union a “marriage” and not “letting” others is ridiculous, and will always be a bone of contention about discrimination.

This entire post is basically the definition of “semantics.”

Call the rituals what you want, I’m talking about splitting up “marriage” into legal and religious sides. Right now the controversy is erupting because gov’t is trying to legislate something that is a religious ritual at its heart, and has government tax benefits at the side. Make something overarching to handle the tax and government parts and let them define that however they want; then let the religious do whatever they want with THEIR half of it.

Internet Delay Chat
Have fun playing!
To chat with other players, you must Join Forumwarz or Log In now!