Buy Brownie Points
Forumwarz is the first "Massively Single-Player" online RPG completely built around Internet culture.

You are currently looking at Flamebate, our community forums. Players can discuss the game here, strategize, and role play as their characters.

You need to be logged in to post and to see the uncensored versions of these forums.

Role Playing
Switch to Civil Discussion Role-Playing

Viewing a Post

zagerblag

Avatar: 102042 Wed Jun 03 22:55:29 -0400 2009

[Board of Directors]

Level 35 Hacker

asdf

Samildanach Posted:

I’ll switch to plain English, and use small words, so you don’t need to put in too much effort to follow. Try to stay with me.

As MeatLoafFan and I were already discussing, the Forumwarz “Hacker” is, in fact, just a script kiddie. That’s why “Hacker” attacks on forums are on par with posting shock images and insults. The attitude of a Forumwarz “Hacker” is, logically enough, a script kiddie’s mbumive, unjustified sense of superiority at throwing a high-tech brick through a forum’s plate glbum window.

That is why, if you look, the most popular option on the poll is the truncated binary option. It was originally intended to be “No, and I can read binary, so I am a real hacker.” It got cut off for obvious reasons, I found that hilarious, and left it. Right now, more people are voting for ”No, and I can read binar011110” than both other options combined, for ****’s sakes. That is 100% in character.

Now, I could go all Nerd-fight on you, and point out that I know more than a dozen programming languages, from 80i86 bumembler through COBOL, out LISP and into C#. I could point out that I was debugging professional PL/I code at age 7. I could mention how I nearly wasn’t allowed to take AP Comp Sci at my highschool they taught it on the VAX used for grade storade and I’d blown through the laughable “security” on the machines used for the prereq to hand in my final project before it was bumigned (though the only real “security” for the prereq clbum was ignorance and VMS is a hard nut to crack). I got a 5 on the AP, for the record, and we were still forced to use Pascal back then.

But, y’know what? A) Why would you believe me, and B) Why should anyone give a ****?

Being a hacker isn’t about what manuals you’ve read, what conferences you’ve attended, what OS you use, or whether you’ve cobbled a machine together out of spare parts. It’s about how you think. It’s about naked intellectual curiosity wedded with the urge to tinker. It’s about seeing a system and wanting to know how it ticks, wanting to push and test it and play with it. It’s about seeing patterns other people don’t know exist and doing something cool with the knowledge of them. There’s a whole catalog of MIT pranks that never involved a computer, but were certainly “hacks” of a system.

Hackers don’t have a mandatory task before them, whatever you may think. It’s a mindset, not a job.

TL;DR: You’re a bumhurt killjoy fabulous person, and you need to take that Williams tube of your bum. Also, Vanil-Choco binary is surprisingly funny for those with the right sense of humor.

Nice rant. I agree with some parts.

zagerblag edited this message on 04/22/2009 3:14PM

I'M A SIG-DISABLING COCKMONGLER
Internet Delay Chat
Have fun playing!
To chat with other players, you must Join Forumwarz or Log In now!