Buy Brownie Points
Forumwarz is the first "Massively Single-Player" online RPG completely built around Internet culture.

You are currently looking at Flamebate, our community forums. Players can discuss the game here, strategize, and role play as their characters.

You need to be logged in to post and to see the uncensored versions of these forums.

Civil Discussion
Switch to Role-Playing Civil Discussion

Viewing a Post

The Unknown -
Comic

Avatar: 95506 Tue Dec 09 09:40:49 -0500 2008

[Gimmick Alts and R-
ole-Players Local -
Union 352
]

Level 2 Re-Re

I'M AWESOME APPRECIATE ME PLZ

What kind of books do you like?

Vonnegut is always good.

Also, if you have the patience, I just finished Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy.

WARNING: TL;DR description

His writing style is rough. He doesn’t use quotation marks or apostrophes and his prose is almost biblical in style. I know all ready that might sound boring (and some parts of it are, I had a lot of false starts with the book), but it’s really incredible.

It’s set in Texas/Mexico circa 1850 or so and it’s about this kid (who’s only called to as “the kid” through the entire book) who eventually joins up with John Joel Glanton and his scalp hunters. They kill Apaches, collect their scalps and trade them for cash.

Before long they take it to an extreme. They kill everything and anybody. Mexicans, peaceful tribes, children. It’s the most violent book I’ve ever read, which helps show the ruthlessness of the times and man’s warlike tendencies.

The real reason to read the book is the character of The Judge. The Judge is 7 feet tall and completely hairless. He’s almost impossibly smart and ruthless.

I don’t want to give away too much, but I will describe one of the most vivid images in the book. There are a lot that will stick with you, but this one is so bizarre.

The Judge walking through the desert, naked, except for pieces of meat that he’s tied to his body.

A few pages later he’s fashioned a crude umbrella out of meat.

It’s ****ing bizarre.

It’s a great read if you’re willing to commit to it.

One other thing I should probably mention, the plot is pretty thin. There’s a driving motivation (scalps, money), but there aren’t many other goals. No main Apache chief they’re trying to bring down or any final destination. This can also make the book a little boring and confusing, but I like it.

It reinforces the idea that you’re somehow reading a terrible, horrific nightmare.

The Unknown Comic edited this message on 03/24/2009 1:29PM
Internet Delay Chat
Have fun playing!
To chat with other players, you must Join Forumwarz or Log In now!