Buy Official Merchandise!
Forumwarz is the first "Massively Single-Player" online RPG completely built around Internet culture.

You are currently looking at Flamebate, our community forums. Players can discuss the game here, strategize, and role play as their characters.

You need to be logged in to post and to see the uncensored versions of these forums.

Civil Discussion
Switch to Role-Playing Civil Discussion

Viewing a Post

BirdofPrey

Avatar: 2037 Sun May 10 02:46:48 -0400 2009

[Team Shortbus]

Level 10 Troll

I lick her up afterwards (After her great times session too! Yum!)

1338h4x Posted:

I will admit I’m not too well-versed in particle physics, so can someone enlighten me a bit about how Hawking Radiation supposedly works? I understand it comes from a quark-antiquark pair being positioned along the edge of the event horizon in such a way that one gets sucked in and the other flies away, and these antiquarks could annihilate some of the matter that makes up the black hole, thus causing it to lose mbum and possibly fade away eventually. But what I don’t get is the idea that more antimatter gets sucked in than matter. Shouldn’t they be roughly equal-ish, so the black hole stays in a fairly stable equilibrium? Also given where these holes would be hypothetically be surfacing, there wouldn’t be as much antimatter to suck in as there is regular matter.

I’m sure there’s some mistake in my bumumptions, given how every scientist is damn confident this won’t happen. I’m just not sure what it is that I’m misunderstanding here.

You’re almost right. This is still simplified as ****, but it’s not that a particle and anti-particle pair are positioned at the event horizion, it’s that a virtual particle and anti-particle pair is being created on the event horizon. One of them falls into it and the other escapes. Since the one that escapes must have positive energy, the one falling into it needs to have negative energy for there to be equilibrium. The black hole is only losing energy from hawking radiation.

Internet Delay Chat
Have fun playing!
To chat with other players, you must Join Forumwarz or Log In now!