Buy Official Merchandise!
Forumwarz is the first "Massively Single-Player" online RPG completely built around Internet culture.

You are currently looking at Flamebate, our community forums. Players can discuss the game here, strategize, and role play as their characters.

You need to be logged in to post and to see the uncensored versions of these forums.

Civil Discussion
Switch to Role-Playing Civil Discussion

Viewing a Post

BirdofPrey

Avatar: 2037 Sun May 10 02:46:48 -0400 2009

[Team Shortbus]

Level 10 Troll

I lick her up afterwards (After her great times session too! Yum!)

King Krimson Posted:

The only roguelike I’ve ever played to any extent was the doom one. So my first question is thus; how user friendly is it going to be? I know that personally I wouldn’t want to learn what each bumon on the keyboard does if I’m only going to be playing the game 5 minutes a day.

Well, hopefully it’ll be as user-friendly as possible, but in general these games have a bit of a steep learning curve. Obviously you try to match each bumon to something that makes sense, but there’s only so many choices.

Secondly, mixing disturbing horror and comedy seems a bold choice. How drastic will the change in tone be? Will they mix together consistently, or will the game seem like two different games mashed together?

have you ever read John Dies at the End? Best mix of comedy and horror ever in my opinion. What I’m envisioning right now is mostly lighthearted (on the surface), with a lot of amusing items and gameplay mechanics, but the gameplay itself will be tense and nerve-wracking, especially as you descend deeper into the various caverns. Of course, a lot of what i’m planning is already a part of any roguelike, but I’m going to be taking normal conventions like generous lighting and perfect character memory and messing with them a bit. There’s nothing very funny about being 20 stories underground, being pursued by denizens of the deep, with a guttering torch that only lights up 3 spaces in every direction and you can’t quite remember where that up staircase is Log in to see images!

edit – as an example of this balance I’m trying to strike, one of the deities/gods you can pledge your allegiance to will be Eris (of discordian fame) and another will be the Elder gods of lovecraftian lore. In a way, I’m hoping that the direction the game goes will depend a lot on the player’s choices. So… dunno if I really answered your questions, but hell I barely know where I’m going with this myself.

BirdofPrey edited this message on 06/18/2008 7:47AM
Internet Delay Chat
Have fun playing!
To chat with other players, you must Join Forumwarz or Log In now!