Buy Brownie Points
Forumwarz is the first "Massively Single-Player" online RPG completely built around Internet culture.

You are currently looking at Flamebate, our community forums. Players can discuss the game here, strategize, and role play as their characters.

You need to be logged in to post and to see the uncensored versions of these forums.

Civil Discussion
Switch to Role-Playing Civil Discussion

Viewing a Post

R2

Level 10 Emo Kid

“Gloomy Gus”

I think one problem with trolls vs emos vs camwhores is this:

People here identify with trolls OOCly. You can play a good troll her and have people OOCly think that you’re doing cool ****. I mean, maybe I’m from a snarky bend of the intertubes or something, but my digital acquintances think that a good troll who sticks it to the Man in his many forms is a bit of a folk hero. OOCly, out of the char clbumes, I personally identify with Trolls most.

Now lets look at camwhores. I have great trouble believing that anyone here thinks vapid cheerleaders are cool. And emokids? While a significant portion of the pbase here might well be Deviant-art drawing fabulous persons who listen to emo music, I doubt they’d want to identify with the emokids as they are here presented.

So. When people say that RPing an emokid or camwhore is setting yourself up for fail, I agree. But I think it’s a flaw in the system, or in the way the clbumes are constituted. If you play a troll properly people will OOCly think that’s cool; if you do the same with an emokid/camwhore, not so much. Hence, to play an emokid/camwhore and be entertaining, you have to insert lots of irony into your portrayal, make it clear that you are also laughing at your own character.

I think one of the reason why I find some of the trolls here obnoxious is that the players (note, this is not to say that all troll players are like this) clearly aren’t particularly self-aware about what they’re doing, and that there is no self-irony present. Hence, just another exercise in digital power-tripping at the expense of other people. I think this also means that because players identify with their characters, they take it personally when those characters get lambasted. I absolutely despise people who will never allow their characters to “lose”, throwing **** fits and “no u are”’s when confronted.

R2 edited this message on 06/14/2008 9:40AM
Internet Delay Chat
Have fun playing!
To chat with other players, you must Join Forumwarz or Log In now!