Check out our blog!
Forumwarz is the first "Massively Single-Player" online RPG completely built around Internet culture.

You are currently looking at Flamebate, our community forums. Players can discuss the game here, strategize, and role play as their characters.

You need to be logged in to post and to see the uncensored versions of these forums.

Civil Discussion
Switch to Role-Playing Civil Discussion
Fun Dwarf Fortress

Red_Machine_D

[Pessimists]

Level 10 Troll

so poor i eat out of a dumpster, it's punk as **** hell yeah

Anyone else here play it?

Vorkoski

[Pumpkin Krew]

Level 10 Troll

“Pain in the ASCII”

Yep. I’ve been going through fortresses on this new version like crazy, since there is always something I dislike about the site. Currently I’m in a human town and I plan on taking all their beds.

12yoIRL

[Elitist Superstruc-
ture
]

Level 10 Camwhore

“Leave it to Cleavage”

I actually hadn’t heard of DF until it was mentioned on IRC yesterday, and it seems to be small and free, so I guess I’m trying it out now.

Phlegmatic

[Pessimists]

Level 19 Troll

“Li'l Hellraiser”

has anyone gotten to the bdsm rooms on the bottom level of the named mountains yet

Red_Machine_D

[Pessimists]

Level 10 Troll

Vorkoski Posted:

Yep. I’ve been going through fortresses on this new version like crazy, since there is always something I dislike about the site. Currently I’m in a human town and I plan on taking all their beds.

I know what you mean, i always start just a little too close to the local wildlife, or a bit too high up, or with too few trees, bloody perfectionist that i am.

12yoIRL

[Elitist Superstruc-
ture
]

Level 10 Camwhore

“Leave it to Cleavage”

I’m addicted to this thing now. It also makes me realize how not good with computer I are.

Actually, speaking of which… If I take my “Current” file from data/save, copy it and stow it away, then erase my saved fortress in the game and do something else, I can put that file back and it will be just fine, right? Log in to see images! 12yoIRL edited this message on 11/05/2007 3:42PM

Red_Machine_D

[Pessimists]

Level 10 Troll

12yoIRL Posted:

I’m addicted to this thing now. It also makes me realize how not good with computer I are.

Actually, speaking of which… If I take my “Current” file from data/save, copy it and stow it away, then erase my saved fortress in the game and do something else, I can put that file back and it will be just fine, right? Log in to see images!

I think so, best bet would be to generate a new map to try it out on.

In other news: does rain actually fill ponds? it seems weather creates a real strain on my system and the only reason i can see me using it is if it’ll refill my stuff.

Vorkoski

[Pumpkin Krew]

Level 10 Troll

“Pain in the ASCII”

12yoIRL Posted:

Actually, speaking of which… If I take my “Current” file from data/save, copy it and stow it away, then erase my saved fortress in the game and do something else, I can put that file back and it will be just fine, right? Log in to see images!

Red_Machine_D

[Pessimists]

Level 10 Troll

Vorkoski Posted:

12yoIRL Posted:

Hmm, good point.

On another note do you think it would be worth doing a succession game here or do you think it’s too soon since the Boatmurdered incident?

Schildkrote

Level 10 Troll

I LOVE SUCKING BIG BLACK male reproductive organS MMMH YEAH HOMOTASTIC GIVE ME THAT SPUNK

I’m currently getting a kick out of the plans to try and get those succession threads back into the Games forum at Something Awful, because apparently they’re not Let’s Play threads (because there’s twenty people posting screenshots instead of one, I guess?)

As for the game itself, it’s like bashing my head against a brick wall made of ascii text while the world goes on and on about how awesome that wall is. How long did it take you guys to get the hang of it?

Red_Machine_D

[Pessimists]

Level 10 Troll

Schildkrote Posted:

I’m currently getting a kick out of the plans to try and get those succession threads back into the Games forum at Something Awful, because apparently they’re not Let’s Play threads (because there’s twenty people posting screenshots instead of one, I guess?)

As for the game itself, it’s like bashing my head against a brick wall made of ascii text while the world goes on and on about how awesome that wall is. How long did it take you guys to get the hang of it?

I still haven’t got it completely, but after about a day you start to learn the needed basics.

Phlegmatic

[Pessimists]

Level 19 Troll

“Li'l Hellraiser”

it’s easier to understand if you’ve played roguelikes before

Red_Machine_D

[Pessimists]

Level 10 Troll

If you really don’t know what the hell’s going on you can always try using a graphical image set.

12yoIRL

[Elitist Superstruc-
ture
]

Level 10 Camwhore

“Leave it to Cleavage”

Red_Machine_D Posted:

Schildkrote Posted:

I still haven’t got it completely, but after about a day you start to learn the needed basics.

Yeah, with a little reading I think I have just about everything down enough to do anything I want… except get the ****ing skills right! Someone should have ****ing TOLD me I needed Furniture Hauling to dismantle the human village. Goddamn.

Also, is what exactly is a “succession”? (Not an SA user Log in to see images!

UniqueSnowfl-
ak47

[Loner]

Level 15 Emo Kid

“Crybaby”

12yoIRL Posted:

One person starts a game, plays for a pre-determined amount of time and then pbumes the save file off to another person in the thread and they play. Rinse and repeat.

Oh and most threads have whoever is playing currently posting bunches of screen shots so the rest of the thread can read about how the kingdom/fortress/spaceship is doing.

e: I’ve played DF before, but not in a while. Seems theres been a huge update though, because I don’t remember a human town at all.

UniqueSnowflak47 edited this message on 11/08/2007 3:25PM

Red_Machine_D

[Pessimists]

Level 10 Troll

12yoIRL Posted:

Red_Machine_D Posted:

Schildkrote Posted:

Yeah, with a little reading I think I have just about everything down enough to do anything I want… except get the ****ing skills right! Someone should have ****ing TOLD me I needed Furniture Hauling to dismantle the human village. Goddamn.

Wait, you can dismantle villages? why have i spent all my time avoiding them?!

I was gonna say something else but Unique explained succession games pretty well it seems.

Qualjyn

[Team AWESOME]

Level 12 Troll

“Pain in the ASCII”

Isn’t furniture hauling enabled on all dwarves(dwarfs?) per default?

Red_Machine_D

[Pessimists]

Level 10 Troll

Qualjyn Posted:

Isn’t furniture hauling enabled on all dwarves(dwarfs?) per default?

I dunno about 12 but i make a point of turning it off on 90% of my dwarves, i don’t want my super god awesome power miner running off to **** a bloody sofa.

ARMERICA****-
YEAH

Level 10 Troll

“Pain in the ASCII”

Schildkrote Posted:

Took me a day or two and three stillborn forts.

This was the old version, though. Don’t know how the new one will do since I’m afraid it will eat my poor computer alive.

The learning part isn’t too hard if you really want it.

Thank you, Boatmurdered! Log in to see images!

Schildkrote

Level 10 Troll

I LOVE SUCKING BIG BLACK male reproductive organS MMMH YEAH HOMOTASTIC GIVE ME THAT SPUNK

12yoIRL Posted:

(Not an SA user Log in to see images!

It needs to be mentioned that SA goons absolutely will not shut up about this game ever. There’s no less than four threads about it going on now, all of which are identical for all intents and purposes, and sadly they’ve shown no sign of stopping. It’s maddening, because the threads are nothing but spam to anyone who doesn’t actually play the game, and the game itself is like trying to play Rocket Science (The Text Version) Log in to see images!

Internet Delay Chat
Have fun playing!
To chat with other players, you must Join Forumwarz or Log In now!