Buy Official Merchandise!
Forumwarz is the first "Massively Single-Player" online RPG completely built around Internet culture.

You are currently looking at Flamebate, our community forums. Players can discuss the game here, strategize, and role play as their characters.

You need to be logged in to post and to see the uncensored versions of these forums.

Civil Discussion
Switch to Role-Playing Civil Discussion
Pr0n Gasoline

TheAlbatross

Level 24 Troll

“Dick in a Box”

As you know, gas prices are absolutely rediculous. Im not all that educated about the subject but is there any way prices will come down? Someone i know suggested drilling in Alaska. Is that feasible?

d35tiny

Level 12 Emo Kid

“Gloomy Gus”

Someone give me a bullet…i wanna shoot myself

Sancdar

[Team Shortbus]

Level 50 Camwhore

LCC club

You’re buddies with Bush?

oDrew

Level 9 Camwhore

“Training Broad”

I just paid $40 to fuel up my mid-size sedan.

I hate life.

evilhamster

[The Fondler of Bal-
lsacks
]

Level 34 Emo Kid

“Cutty Cutterson”

TheAlbatross Posted:

As you know, gas prices are absolutely rediculous. Im not all that educated about the subject but is there any way prices will come down? Someone i know suggested drilling in Alaska. Is that feasible?

Yes. We need to get off of gasoline, force automakers to make flex-fuel vehicles— use ethanol and methanol- so we can stop buying oil from terrorists who just use our money to kill us.

Echuu

Avatar: 6433 Tue Jul 21 22:01:07 -0400 2009

[Backdoor Amigos]

Level 20 Troll

You made Vader snobby.

Don’t get us Eurofabulous persons started on OUR prices.

Sancdar

[Team Shortbus]

Level 50 Camwhore

LCC club

evilhamster Posted:

Yes. We need to get off of gasoline, force automakers to make flex-fuel vehicles— use ethanol and methanol- so we can stop buying oil from terrorists who just use our money to kill us.

The ethanol craze is hammering the US’s agricultural industry. Corn is being significantly overplanted, and it’s probably going to get worse unless we find another cheap crop to make ethanol out of easily.

1338h4x

Avatar: 22473 Sat Nov 29 21:01:08 -0500 2008

[Crotch Zombie]

Level 35 Troll

7 Vibrating Doldoes was never a meme

Why can’t we get affordable cars that run on 100% something-other-than-gas? There’s so many alternative sources out there and yet nobody wants to abandon expensive, polluting, scarce, terror-funding, etc oil.

Prices are not going to go down, the only solution is to stop relying on oil.

Altazimuth

Level 10 Camwhore

“Leave it to Cleavage”

hahaha ethanol

that’s funny stuff

we ought to make it from sugarcane, it’d be cheaper

but best to go full electric and solar. OR, just use Hydrogen fuel cells, also way better than ethanol. a tad expensive both, but it’s better than paying terrorists 5 bucks a gallon (and you know it’s going to just go up from there)

Bubo

Level 18 Camwhore

“Playground Pin-Up”

1338h4x Posted:

Why can’t we get affordable cars that run on 100% something-other-than-gas? There’s so many alternative sources out there and yet nobody wants to abandon expensive, polluting, scarce, terror-funding, etc oil.

Prices are not going to go down, the only solution is to stop relying on oil.

Altazimuth hits closer to home than you do. Yes, there are alternatives out there, and for 99% of the points they are much better than oil. However, they aren’t cheaper than oil (yet). Until oil prices rise to the point where they overshoot the alternatives for a significant period of time, we won’t see a mbum-shift in fuel choice.

Now, I’d prefer the alternatives myself, but keep in mind with electric cars (including hybrids) that the batteries still use Nickel. Lots and lots and lots of nickel, which is a poisonous pollutant. I’ve read about a plant up north (I believe it was in Canada, but don’t quote me) where the land around the plant is so dead Hollywood uses it for “Other Planet” scenes.

Sancdar

[Team Shortbus]

Level 50 Camwhore

LCC club

Sugarcane is the next best bet, it’s true.

Full electric needs a lot of development, and if you’re not just using solar/wind energy then you’re probably burning a lot of SOMETHING to get all that electricity. Solar alone isn’t very feasible, and would really only work well in certain parts of the world anyway.

There’s a lot of talk of renewable/alternative energy sources, but for large-scale use they just don’t offer many benefits. Even the good options need so much funding and wide-spread adoption that it’s unlikely they’ll ever happen. I mean ****, we still don’t use the metric system in the US, and people have been pushing that for decades.

TheAlbatross

Level 24 Troll

“Dick in a Box”

Sancdar Posted:

You’re buddies with Bush?

Like i said….i dont know much. Just wondering what would be the best bet. Looked up a little and personally i think hydrogen would be a great long term solution. Its just too expensive right now.

Everybodykno-
ws

[Sisterhood of the -
Quivering Rose
]

Level 30 Camwhore

“Courte-chan”

prices will only come down if the oil companies stop liking making money. that’s not gonna happen. you may see prices go down maybe 20 cents from time to time, but they go right back up again soon enough.

one thing i’ve noticed locally is that one of the gas stations started offering 5 cents off per gallon on sundays. once they started doing that, at least one of the other gas stations started doing it too. i wonder if it’ll become a trend since people seem to go where the gas prices are cheapest, even if it’s slightly out of the way (that gas station is packed on sundays).

Everybodyknows edited this message on 04/08/2008 10:04PM

finale

Level 10 Emo Kid

“Gloomy Gus”

One difficulty with gas prices is it’s hard to know how much is just social reflexivity. If the public hears and is talking about higher gas prices, producers can get away with raising prices, which means distributors raise prices. Not that there aren’t legit reasons for the increase- this sort of mechanism just exacerbates the problem.

The bumessments of the different alternatives above all sounds right from what I’ve heard- personally, I’m hoping for solar development, it seems to have the fewest downsides.

2 things that don’t work-

1-Alaskan drilling may or may not be effective, but the costs, environmental and economic, would be huge. It also would be a temporary respite, at best.

2-Y’know those “Coal-America’s clean power” ads on TV? They’re full of ****. That should be obvious from how they’re done, but I needed to get that out there anyways.

finale edited this message on 04/08/2008 10:09PM

BirdofPrey

Avatar: 2037 Sun May 10 02:46:48 -0400 2009

[Team Shortbus]

Level 10 Troll

I lick her up afterwards (After her great times session too! Yum!)

Any switch-over to another kind of feul is going to take a lot of time and lots of money, but it’s going to be necessary in the long run. In the meantime I’d like to see more applications of Ferroelectrics, and since there’s been a lot of exciting developments in that field very recently I wouldn’t be surprised to see a good deal of that crop up in the next decade or two.

evilhamster

[The Fondler of Bal-
lsacks
]

Level 34 Emo Kid

“Cutty Cutterson”

TheAlbatross Posted:

Like i said….i dont know much. Just wondering what would be the best bet. Looked up a little and personally i think hydrogen would be a great long term solution. Its just too expensive right now.

Hydrogen won’t work. Hydrogen is not an energy source, it is a means to store energy. In other words, we will buy oil to burn to make the hydrogen in the first place. But hey- your CAR won’t be polluting, just the factories that make the hydrogen.

However a flex- fuel vehicle can burn gasoline, ethanol or methanol for only about 100-200 added to the sticker price. Ethanol is also a bad choice in the long run, because it cuts into our food supplies thus is only good as a short term option. Methanol, on the other hand is a sustainable long term fix. Cheap and easy to manufacture- see the quote below:

“This brings us to methanol, the simplest liquid fuel molecule known to chemistry. Commonly called “wood alcohol” because it can be readily produced from wood, it can also be manufactured out of virtually any kind of organic material, including every kind of biombum (whether edible or not), as well as coal, natural gas, human and animal metabolic wastes, and municipal trash. Since its potential sources are so vast, varied, and cheap, methanol promises to be an inexpensive fuel. In fact, it already is: during the summer of 2007, the wholesale price of methanol, manufactured and sold without a subsidy, was $0.93 per gallon. Methanol has about 54 percent the energy density of gasoline, so this price is the equivalent of gasoline selling for $1.70 per gallon (before taxes).”

(taken from http://www.thenewatlantis.com/archive/18/zubrin.htm)

The problem is making it available in gas stations- that would require lots of cars that can use it so people would buy it. Which probably won’t ever happen because that would require a government mandate, and both parties in our government are in the pocket of Big Oil, not to mention the automakers.

Vuron

Avatar: 4928 2011-07-31 00:39:10 -0400

[Team Shortbus]

Level 40 Emo Kid

Vile serpent! I generally avoid temptation unless I can't resist it.

Corn-based ethanol is crap, the amount of fossil fuels needed to produce a single gallon of corn-based biodiesel is a very significant percentage. Considering corn-based ethanol has poor energy density (1 gallon of ethanol will get you significantly less miles in your car) domestic corn-based ethanol is basically a government subsidy to big agribusinesses such as ADM. That’s not even getting into the impact corn-based ethanol subsidies have had

Algae-based Biodiesel seems to be the obvious answer as the US could likely make do with roughly 140 billion gallons of biodiesel a year. If current estimates concerning the use of algae-based biodiesel is that 15,000 square miles of algae ponds would be capable of producing the neede biombum to generate that much biodiesel.

Currently the technology isn’t quite there but it definitely seems like a solid long term solution. If you combine the use of biodiesel with existing hybrid technologies you can get pretty impressive MPG totals, for example the Dodge Intrepid ESX3, built under Clinton’s PNGV program – a full-size diesel electric hybrid sedan that averaged 72 mpg in mixed driving .

Everybodykno-
ws

[Sisterhood of the -
Quivering Rose
]

Level 30 Camwhore

“Courte-chan”

Vuron Posted:

Corn-based ethanol is crap, the amount of fossil fuels needed to produce a single gallon of corn-based biodiesel is a very significant percentage. Considering corn-based ethanol has poor energy density (1 gallon of ethanol will get you significantly less miles in your car) domestic corn-based ethanol is basically a government subsidy to big agribusinesses such as ADM. That’s not even getting into the impact corn-based ethanol subsidies have had

Algae-based Biodiesel seems to be the obvious answer as the US could likely make do with roughly 140 billion gallons of biodiesel a year. If current estimates concerning the use of algae-based biodiesel is that 15,000 square miles of algae ponds would be capable of producing the neede biombum to generate that much biodiesel.

Currently the technology isn’t quite there but it definitely seems like a solid long term solution. If you combine the use of biodiesel with existing hybrid technologies you can get pretty impressive MPG totals, for example the Dodge Intrepid ESX3, built under Clinton’s PNGV program – a full-size diesel electric hybrid sedan that averaged 72 mpg in mixed driving .

i love you, you’re one of the only people i know that knows of that fact too. it takes nearly a gallon of fossil fuels in order to make a gallon of biodiesel. then the biodiesel is burned in the vehicle. it really isn’t very efficient.

i think electric cars would be our best bet if we could get solar and wind going more since they’re pretty pollution-free. hydro-electric is a bad idea since the dams that are required for it have a huge environmental impact. and i hate to say it, but discounting the possibility of meltdowns nuclear is a pretty clean way of getting energy too. just try telling that to a hippy.

oDrew

Level 9 Camwhore

“Training Broad”

I know the guy who invented corn-based ethanol. rofl.

Pat Gruber. I swam in his pool a few times.

Irascible

[My Balls]

Level 15 Troll

The Duke of Fail

Gas isn’t that bad. Stop whining. Look at the prices in Europe, Amerifabulous person. You are still 2 dollars below the average for them! Quit your yammering and grow a pair, you have just been so damned lucky for the last couple years that you don’t notice the ****hole the rest of the world lives in.

Internet Delay Chat
Have fun playing!
To chat with other players, you must Join Forumwarz or Log In now!