Buy Official Merchandise!
Forumwarz is the first "Massively Single-Player" online RPG completely built around Internet culture.

You are currently looking at Flamebate, our community forums. Players can discuss the game here, strategize, and role play as their characters.

You need to be logged in to post and to see the uncensored versions of these forums.

Civil Discussion
Switch to Role-Playing Civil Discussion
Feature Accurate "Forum Visit" tracking

WEED GUN

Avatar: 719 Thu Oct 16 23:23:48 -0400 2008

[male reproductive organ wolf]

Level 22 Troll

“Dick in a Box”

Last night after rollover I decided to polish off a leftover mission, and just after I received the “You have 3 more forum visits today” message, my computer crashed. In another thread, somebody mentions having their mouse stick and spawn three simultaneous forum windows, essentially halving their daily limit. This got me thinking: What would the most sensible way of tracking forum visits be?

I figure there are two stances to take here: One is the tough-love policy—when you visit a forum, your daily counter decreases, and if you **** up, too bad; the other, gentler option is to track user movement such that the daily limit doesn’t decrease until you first enter a thread in a forum. There’s nothing wrong with the first option, per se, but it might be nice to go with the second, both to ward against accidental daily-rate burnthrough, and also allow players to preview forums before they go in and start fighting. (E.g.: “Ooh, new areas! Let me see what I unlocked before I commit to adventuring there!” )

Anyway JUST A THOUGHT I HAD Log in to see images!

Evil Trout

Avatar: 35 2023-04-24 23:24:10 +0000

[Crotch Zombie]

Level 21 Hacker

this site is deader than the toddlers in my basement

I’m going to Sticky this because it’s a good point.

Too many people are entering forums by mistake or thinking they could re-order their toolbar, etc. It’s a problem because I don’t like the idea of us cheaply taking your turns. I’m going to add some kind of mechanism that allows you to back out in the case of a mistake. This is my #1 priority today and I’ll do my best to get it out.

WEED GUN

Level 22 Troll

“Dick in a Box”

Evil Trout Posted:

Too many people are entering forums by mistake or thinking they could re-order their toolbar, etc. It’s a problem because I don’t like the idea of us cheaply taking your turns. I’m going to add some kind of mechanism that allows you to back out in the case of a mistake. This is my #1 priority today and I’ll do my best to get it out.

I think it might be more useful to have a mechanism that only reduced your forum visit count in the event of clicking on a thread than having a bumon that lets you redact your forum click—the former also catches people who accidentally close a window or have Firefox crash or something.

In terms of future features, it might also be nice to have the site save your state when you leave (through cookies or in the database or somesuch) so that if the browser dies you don’t lose out on your turn, but rather reappear where you last left. Having the choice of when to enter and when to leave a forum stay squarely in the realm of user choices, rather than environmental happenstances, seems like the best way to do things—especially in a game where you are limited to four “turns” per day (each of which has a notionally infinite number of sub-turns), rather than 40 turns.

WEED GUN edited this message on 11/02/2007 2:24PM

Kelp Plankton

[Pumpkin Krew]

Level 13 Troll

Oooh look at me Im seasonal

Maybe “thread attack attempts” would be better than forum visits? Though this would require some way to stop mid-forum and come back to finish later as well. I don’t know if that’s feasable. (It’s also something I’d like, as I’ll get halfway into a forum and run out of health items and just have to forge on and die rather than back out and buy something new)

The number would have to be fairly large, though- and I’m not sure what else it might end up causing that could be theoretically problematic.

Dan0rz

Level 38 Troll

“Hot Sauce in the Dick Hole”

how about only taking a forum visit upon pwning or death/quitting the attack BUT you can’t do anything else while you’re doing it? sure you can log out, close the browser, clear the cache whatever but when you log back in the server will know what you were doing.

24 hours you get kicked out for an idle connection (and this counts as a loss for the “beat forum first try” explot you were talking about) but by then it’s reset so you won’t have lost a forum visit anyway

i can’t see any holes in that, what you think?

WEED GUN

Level 22 Troll

“Dick in a Box”

Dan0rz Posted:

This sounds essentially like the “state-saving” notion I posited a few posts up, except that I’d like to see it implemented site-wide. (E.g.: You leave on the bookmarks screen, you come back on it.) This way, when you start pwning a thread in a forum, and only when you do so, does your daily forum-visit counter decrease, and only when you personally click out of the forum will you end up leaving it. I’m bumuming this could be implemented (relatively painlessly) in the code used to maintain a user’s session.

Evil Trout

[Crotch Zombie]

Level 21 Hacker

WEED GUN Posted:

Dan0rz Posted:

This sounds essentially like the “state-saving” notion I posited a few posts up, except that I’d like to see it implemented site-wide. (E.g.: You leave on the bookmarks screen, you come back on it.) This way, when you start pwning a thread in a forum, and only when you do so, does your daily forum-visit counter decrease, and only when you personally click out of the forum will you end up leaving it. I’m bumuming this could be implemented (relatively painlessly) in the code used to maintain a user’s session.

Firstly, I’ve updated the code on the dev server to only record a “visit” once you perform your first attack. You can enter a forum, re-arrange your toolbar, even go into a thread. But the second you start to interact with it, the site logs the visit. Seems to be working well, will push it live when I get a chance.

Technical Stuff

Even though it’s pretty simple to play, the battle system for Forumwarz is quite complicated. There are lots of different abilities that work in different ways, mixing in with properties that may or may not be there. Early on in development I noticed that a simple operation like eating a Happidex was resulting in like 30 database queries to get and update all the relational data, which wasn’t going to scale easily, especially since Ruby has some (justified) notoriety as a slow language.

What I ended up doing was loading all the data you’d possibly need when you enter a battle, then creating a state machine in Ruby with everything a battle could need. This state machine is serialized into a string and shoved into a memory store (Memcached.)

Every time you attack, it retrieves the state machine from memory, does the operation, sends it back with virtually no database access. The great news of this approach is it’s very fast. The bad news is it doesn’t work for long lasting operations. In fact, if you don’t finish your battle within 60 mins the memory will expire.

Anyway, what I’m getting at here is the session data is not around long enough to remember it if you leave for more than an hour or so. I could try and implement a system where the serialized session is stored to disk somewhere, then restored, based on how people do things, but it certainly wouldn’t be trivial Log in to see images!

tl;dr version: the programming involved to persist an in-battle state is hard.

Anyway I’m not saying never, just not right now Log in to see images!

Evil Trout edited this message on 11/02/2007 6:02PM

WEED GUN

Level 22 Troll

“Dick in a Box”

Evil Trout Posted:

Anyway I’m not saying never, just not right now Log in to see images!

That’s perfectly sensible, and I think the solution you’re putting in place now is the best-case scenario in the meantime. Log in to see images!

InsertCoins

[Team AWESOME]

Level 10 Troll

“Pain in the ASCII”

Yep this is good news. Well done.

Evil Trout

[Crotch Zombie]

Level 21 Hacker

And it’s live. Feel free to enter forums without being terribly afraid. You won’t get docked until you do that first attack.

WEED GUN

Level 22 Troll

“Dick in a Box”

AwesomeLog in to see images!

MotU

Level 10 Troll

“Pain in the ASCII”

Yeah that was me with the mouse sticking and opening up new windows. My mouse is borked so it randomly opens up tabs in Firefox. What sucked even more was that the forums froze too so I ended up with only 1 (or 2, not sure if the main window froze) visits that day.Log in to see images!

The new change is much appreciated.

Prosthetic_m-
ind

Level 10 Troll

“Pain in the ASCII”

shoot, if I had known this I would have left and came back to the forum I’ve been leveling at when it only had 5 threads.

pokeyseks81

[Pumpkin Krew]

Level 7 Camwhore

“Training Broad”

Prosthetic_mind Posted:

shoot, if I had known this I would have left and came back to the forum I’ve been leveling at when it only had 5 threads.

Is that a viable strategy? Coming and going from a forum to beef up or lower it depending on your needs?

Maha

Level 41 Troll

“Hot Sauce in the Dick Hole”

pokeyseks81 Posted:

Prosthetic_mind Posted:

Is that a viable strategy? Coming and going from a forum to beef up or lower it depending on your needs?

I want to know this too.

Maha edited this message on 11/04/2007 1:51AM

Evil Trout

[Crotch Zombie]

Level 21 Hacker

pokeyseks81 Posted:

Prosthetic_mind Posted:

Levelling is based on cred, which is based on the difficulty of the forum. You earn more if you defeat more threads in a row.

You won’t level up any faster by entering a forum over and over until it has the least amount of threads, because there is no bonus for pwning it fully. In fact, by doing that you would earn less cred overall.

Having said that, if your current mission is to pwn a forum, you might have a better chance at doing it when it has fewer threads by going in and out. This is cheap IMHO, and maybe we’ll come up with a prevention mechaism (for example, deducting a view if you enter and leave it more than twice.)

pokeyseks81

[Pumpkin Krew]

Level 7 Camwhore

“Training Broad”

I think the best fix would be that once you enter a forum, it locks in the number of threads there, so if you do leave and come back you’ll still see the same number of threads.

Prosthetic_m-
ind

Level 10 Troll

“Pain in the ASCII”

Yeah, but it’d be nice to be able to wait for more threads to show up if you’re leveling, especially when you get unlucky and waste a forum visit on some place that only has 5 threads when you’re trying to grind.

MC Banhammer

Avatar: 1887 2011-07-31 00:40:59 -0400

[Good Omens]

Level 69 Troll

Trying to create drama to drum up the ratings by any means necessary!

Evil Trout Posted:

Boy am I glad you implemented that.

Sarcasm Inc

Avatar: 124937 2010-01-24 16:34:47 -0500

[pizza party]

Level 69 Hacker

Not needed anymore now that we have the SarcMark

MC Banhammer Posted:

Boy am I glad you implemented that.

Internet Delay Chat
Have fun playing!
To chat with other players, you must Join Forumwarz or Log In now!