Buy Official Merchandise!
Forumwarz is the first "Massively Single-Player" online RPG completely built around Internet culture.

You are currently looking at Flamebate, our community forums. Players can discuss the game here, strategize, and role play as their characters.

You need to be logged in to post and to see the uncensored versions of these forums.

Civil Discussion
Switch to Role-Playing Civil Discussion
Hell ayn rand is worse than Hitler

Dunatis

Avatar: 78885 2011-11-01 01:20:41 -0400

[Cabal Gamez]

Level 69 Hacker

Richard Whittington

OverclockedJesus Posted:

And without a government, you can’t get coercive monopolies.

You may not be able to have legislation in place to create coercive monopoly, but to say that those are the only means by which a coercive monopoly could exist is rather absurd.

Using the protective agency as an example, they would have some sort of violent means with which to establish protection from either outside forces or violent individuals within the area (Because of course everyone is free to own weapons, no matter how deranged, as long as they have money). The only thing stopping a large enough agency from creating a coercive monopoly would be their own conscience, otherwise they could easily set up protection rackets under threat of violence while actively destroying any potential competitors.

Organized crime groups will do this and their competition is the apparently horrendously corrupt state run police and of course other gangs. Obviously other gangs are a potential threat but for argument’s sake, let’s say that the company in question becomes rather large as they offered good deals for a long time and now pretty much own 80% of all protective services in the US. At this point they steal whatever employees from competing companies that they can while killing and threatening the rest until they own everything. They may start slowly with simple buyouts but once they have enough power they can become as overt as they want as there is no one to stop them. Who will help the populace who are being extorted? Any new groups could be crushed fairly easily with all their funds and supplies being confiscated to supply the ever growing company. As you said, war is financially unsound so such businesses from elsewhere in the world would not try to break in for fear of starting one and losing.

Your system relies very heavily on not only good people with a proper conscience and respect for others, but a drive to power to create and run these companies. This power however is the exact same corrupting force which governments have and like within a government those who are driven to power are those who will succeed while those with respect for each other will likely not be able to resort to the underhanded tactics of those who lack it.

Wal-Mart offers great savings and flourishes despite competition. But it does so by cutting corners in production costs at the expense of their workers. Overnight lock-ins, shutting down stores who try to unionize (Quebec), use of sweatshop labor overseas and strategic divvying of hours so that their employees don’t qualify for benefits. Yet their presence closes down more honest businesses and steals their customers which in turn adds to their power base. Are those who use sweatshops more moral than those who refuse to allow me to pay an extra 4000$ in order to jump line in an organ donation wait list?

Also to iIRZ – So far you are too cool to be banned even in CD, let’s see if this keeps up Log in to see images!

OverclockedJ-
esus

Avatar: 16071 2010-02-06 15:55:38 -0500

Level 69 Troll

“Human Yeast Infection”

Dunatis Posted:

You may not be able to have legislation in place to create coercive monopoly, but to say that those are the only means by which a coercive monopoly could exist is rather absurd.

No, it isn’t. You cannot completely prevent competition except via legal fiat.

Dunatis Posted:

Using the protective agency as an example, they would have some sort of violent means with which to establish protection from either outside forces or violent individuals within the area (Because of course everyone is free to own weapons, no matter how deranged, as long as they have money). The only thing stopping a large enough agency from creating a coercive monopoly would be their own conscience

Not really. There’s this thing called “market forces”. Let’s look at restaurants. In the absence of anti-competition laws aka antitrust laws, McDonalds STILL would not be able to create a coercive monopoly, as it would not be able to force people to patronize McDonalds, no matter what. It’s no different from a private defense agency.

Dunatis Posted:

Organized crime groups will do this and their competition is the apparently horrendously corrupt state run police and of course other gangs. Obviously other gangs are a potential threat but for argument’s sake, let’s say that the company in question becomes rather large as they offered good deals for a long time and now pretty much own 80% of all protective services in the US. At this point they steal whatever employees from competing companies that they can while killing and threatening the rest until they own everything.

And how does it do that? Remember: there will be people to stop them. The Hollywood nonsense of one company buying out all the other protection agencies is a load of fictitious nonsense. People would cancel their contracts and create their own agencies. Without the power of taxation, there’s nothing the large agency could do.

Remember: if something supposedly bad applies to the market, it applies doubly so to the coercive monopoly known as government.

Dunatis Posted:

Your system relies very heavily on not only good people with a proper conscience

No, it doesn’t. I realize that such is a common objection among those who take 0 time to think about it and who have been brainwashed by the state. But such isn’t my problem. As you do state: government is precisely the sort of entity which you are railing against wrt the market. So I fail to see how your objections are in any way valid.

Dunatis Posted:

Wal-Mart offers great savings and flourishes despite competition. But it does so by cutting corners in production costs at the expense of their workers. Overnight lock-ins, shutting down stores who try to unionize (Quebec), use of sweatshop labor overseas and strategic divvying of hours so that their employees don’t qualify for benefits.

And yet these things happen because of government regulations. Further, there’s no such thing as stealing market share. There is no such thing as the right to any specific market share. As for sweatshops: nothing wrong with them. Organ-donation wait lists: I have never understood the idiotic reason that such should not be taken care of by market forces.

Dunatis

[Cabal Gamez]

Level 69 Hacker

Richard Whittington

OverclockedJesus Posted:

As for sweatshops: nothing wrong with them.

You got me there, I was mistaken in thinking that you were at all relying on people not being complete bumholes to each other at least to some degree. I guess for some reason I thought you were arguing that anarchocapitalism would benefit everyone but I guess you agree with Dobnits (Don’t think I forgot about you dobby Log in to see images!) and say “**** the poor” so long as it benefits those with money. I guess I just cannot agree with “**** the majority of the world” as a universal system of conduct.

OverclockedJesus Posted:

No, it isn’t. You cannot completely prevent competition except via legal fiat.

Because people are known for stringently following the law at all times. The government doesn’t create coercive monopolies just through legal fiat. It takes enforcement of said laws for it to work at all and I’m saying it’s absurd to say that just because it’s not written down somewhere doesn’t mean it cannot in principle be enforced in the same way. How often do people here complain about being banned for something that isn’t a rule written down somewhere? There is no special magical quality of influence that a government has that cannot be replicated through sheer financial power and if there is let’s hear it.

Edit: Almost forgot

OverclockedJesus Posted:

And yet these things happen because of government regulations.

No, they happen because a company does them, just because a government hadn’t planned for that contingency and/or made laws to prevent it from occurring doesn’t mean that it happened because of them. Using bans as an example again, it’s not BECAUSE of ET and JB not making a rule that people spam WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW in INCIT, it’s because people CHOSE to do that. It became a rule not to after the fact but they had no part in its occurring in the first place. The government didn’t force Wal-Mart to shut down their store when people tried to unionize, Wal-Mart executives decided that they would open up a can of worms by letting their workers unionize so they shut it down. The government had nothing to do with it at all.

Dunatis edited this message on 11/26/2009 6:35PM

OverclockedJ-
esus

Level 69 Troll

“Human Yeast Infection”

Dunatis Posted:

You got me there, I was mistaken in thinking that you were at all relying on people not being complete bumholes to each other at least to some degree. I guess for some reason I thought you were arguing that anarchocapitalism would benefit everyone

It does. They wouldn’t be working in the so-called sweatshop if they didn’t think it would benefit them. But you go on and believe that value is objective and precisely what YOU think value should be. After all: you get to rule over everyone, right? Y’see: you don’t get to determine what is of benefit to someone else.

Dunatis Posted:

Because people are known for stringently following the law at all times. The government doesn’t create coercive monopolies just through legal fiat. It takes enforcement of said laws for it to work at all and I’m saying it’s absurd to say that just because it’s not written down somewhere doesn’t mean it cannot in principle be enforced in the same way.

And yet you still need a government for it. You cannot have a coercive monopoly without such.

Dunatis Posted:

How often do people here complain about being banned for something that isn’t a rule written down somewhere?

I see no parallel here.

Dunatis Posted:

There is no special magical quality of influence that a government has that cannot be replicated through sheer financial power

Yes there is. The power of trade is far different from the power of a gun.

Dunatis Posted:

No, they happen because a company does them

Because of government regulations.

Dunatis

[Cabal Gamez]

Level 69 Hacker

Richard Whittington

OverclockedJesus Posted:

Because of government regulations.

Did the government regulate that Wal-Mart close down the store? Their tiptoeing around the rules means it was the governments fault? If it weren’t for the government, the legitimate attempt at unionization would have been successful and through theit hard work they would have an improved work situation instead of being unemployed?

OverclockedJesus Posted:

Yes there is. The power of trade is far different from the power of a gun.

Yet amazingly through the power of trade you can purchase the time of people who can then be equipped with guns who may do as you ask. Hired hitmen let’s say, thugs who will break your knees with a baseball bat. The power of money is amazing that way in that can purchase both goods AND services.

OverclockedJesus Posted:

It does. They wouldn’t be working in the so-called sweatshop if they didn’t think it would benefit them. But you go on and believe that value is objective and precisely what YOU think value should be. After all: you get to rule over everyone, right? Y’see: you don’t get to determine what is of benefit to someone else.

This is true, except that when your options are between starving to death in a gutter, theft and working in a sweatshop, some people will choose the method of survival that doesn’t involve jail. Having no other reasonable choice to survive doesn’t make it a choice when we have that pesky survival instinct moving us forward. And although there may well be other choices, it doesn’t help if people don’t know what they are through lack of education brought about by their socioeconomic status that was placed on them most often at birth.

OverclockedJ-
esus

Level 69 Troll

“Human Yeast Infection”

Dunatis Posted:

Did the government regulate that Wal-Mart close down the store?

No, but the regulations wrt unions in Canada was such that Wal-Mart decided that it was better for Wal-Mart to not have the store there. So yes: the rules created by the government are the fault of the government.

Dunatis Posted:

Yet amazingly through the power of trade you can purchase the time of people who can then be equipped with guns who may do as you ask.

Yes. Or you can hire a carpet cleaner who will clean the carpet as you ask. Fancy that. Hint: equating private police with mercs is beyond stupid.

Dunatis Posted:

This is true, except that when your options are between starving to death in a gutter, theft and working in a sweatshop

Let me ask you this: were they starving to death BEFORE the factory arrived? I’ll answer that for you: why yes, yes they were. So the sweatshop offered what for them? Again, I’ll answer for you: a way for them to not starve.

Melanin-Enha-
nced Individ-
ual

Avatar: 174541 2012-01-02 15:34:06 -0500

[enjoy GANG]

Level 35 Troll

If I can write this, my whole life has been wasted. I'm worthless and awful.

you all need to shut the **** up.

Johnald The -
Robot

Avatar: 211354 2011-08-21 16:08:15 -0400

[Harem and Sushi Bar]

Level 69 Permanoob

JUST ANOTHER BRAINFREEZE REJECT

Lee_Harvey_Oswald Posted:

you all need to shut the **** up.

Cheins Sanch-
ez

Avatar: 64305 2015-06-13 02:49:05 -0400

[The Airship]

Level 36 Troll

Rex Sacrorum

words

Melanin-Enha-
nced Individ-
ual

[enjoy GANG]

Level 35 Troll

Cheins Sanchez Posted:

words

more words attempting to contradict your words.

Cheins Sanch-
ez

[The Airship]

Level 36 Troll

Rex Sacrorum

ad homein w/ john galt and super knowledege of govermnt

Melanin-Enha-
nced Individ-
ual

[enjoy GANG]

Level 35 Troll

Cheins Sanchez Posted:

ad homein w/ john galt and super knowledege of govermnt

blah blah ayn rand is a insert generic insult blah blah blah blah

Melanin-Enha-
nced Individ-
ual

[enjoy GANG]

Level 35 Troll

Something is wrong on the internet.

Melanin-Enha-
nced Individ-
ual

[enjoy GANG]

Level 35 Troll

I am a libertarian, I have induvidual liberty and pick apart big gubmint with my words. if you disagree with my opinions on economics and government I will come into your civil discussion and post long things no one reads.

Cheins Sanch-
ez

[The Airship]

Level 36 Troll

Rex Sacrorum

Dunatis

[Cabal Gamez]

Level 69 Hacker

Richard Whittington

Boo gubmint! Can only evar be corrupts!

Dunatis

[Cabal Gamez]

Level 69 Hacker

Richard Whittington

Libertarians Posted:

The gubmint is totally suppressive all the time always!

Down with INGSOC!

Well, it’s been fun playing tennis with a brick wall.

OverclockedJ-
esus

Level 69 Troll

“Human Yeast Infection”

Dunatis Posted:

Well, it’s been fun playing tennis with a brick wall.

Thank you for your concession. Strawmen will do that, you know. Feel free to get some intellectual integrity. I will say that you at least made an effort—right up until you got too close to your core beliefs. Then you pulled a Brave Sir Robin.

ChilePepino

Avatar: 101005 2010-01-24 16:17:40 -0500

[Full of SbumSS]

Level 35 Permanoob

Well, spf357 really rocks.

politically oriented people are hilarious

ChilePepino

Avatar: 101005 2010-01-24 16:17:40 -0500

[Full of SbumSS]

Level 35 Permanoob

Well, spf357 really rocks.

plus ayn rands was kind of dumb and fast to be angered according to my sources (wikipedia).

Internet Delay Chat
Have fun playing!
To chat with other players, you must Join Forumwarz or Log In now!