Buy Official Merchandise!
Forumwarz is the first "Massively Single-Player" online RPG completely built around Internet culture.

You are currently looking at Flamebate, our community forums. Players can discuss the game here, strategize, and role play as their characters.

You need to be logged in to post and to see the uncensored versions of these forums.

Civil Discussion
Switch to Role-Playing Civil Discussion
Writing Should We Try A Forumwarz Book Club Again?

gleebot

Level 69 Emo Kid

I feel pretty! Oh so pretty, and GAY!

i’m in. i suggest that our first book be a work of fiction, preferably not too long. i’ve been in several failed book clubs and i find “dryness” and “length” beat out even “no time” as the number one reasons people sissy out. all fiction suggestions look good to me so far, especially everything is illuminated. if we select a Cormac McCarthy work though, i’d prefer reading The Road. most libraries will have it and i think its less than 300 pages if i remember correctly. i’ve been meaning to read it again to put it fresh my memory before i go watch Viggo Mortenson **** it up on the big screen this november. i’d read blood meridian too though.

second suggestion is I Am Legend by Richard Matheson. it’s fiction, short, and great. it makes me want to do surly things like drink whiskey, pine for a woman’s touch and slay the undead. we could even compare it to the movie(s) that were based on it for an extra bit of thoughtful discussion.

good idea Phin

gleebot edited this message on 10/22/2009 1:46PM

Aldo_Anything

Avatar: 32555 2014-07-18 11:39:53 -0400

[Brainfreeze]

Level 69 Troll

male reproductive organMEISTER

Banhammer’s idea with shorter books is interesting, I would join anyways though.

Fortunato

Avatar: 72902 2010-02-03 18:45:17 -0500

[Grey Goose Mafiosi]

Level 51 Troll

ZOMBIE CANNONBALL OF GORE

I think the stumbling block here was just getting everyone to post about the book more than getting people to read the book.

Tbscifie

Level 16 Hacker

“Packet Sniffer ”

I would suggest the book “The Lies of Locke Lamora” I don’t know if anybody’s read it, but it’s a good, quick read.

ChilePepino

Avatar: 101005 2010-01-24 16:17:40 -0500

[Full of SbumSS]

Level 35 Permanoob

Well, spf357 really rocks.

I would like to join. I’m up to read p much anything that isn’t best selling new bull****, but I guess that’s already implied.

mterek

Avatar: 192622 2009-09-24 16:39:01 -0400

[mahjong]

Level 69 Re-Re

$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$

Actually I’m going to hijack this thread for one post and ask for a book suggestion.

I’m really a visual novel type of guy these days, because most books are written below my literacy level so it’s a pain to go through them. Even if I’m reading them for the first time, my experience in seeing how similar stories progress makes any plot developments uninteresting, and the story becomes a chore.

I like science fiction, but hate sexual events or most instances of romance. Sexual events seem to universally plague my favourite genres (science fiction), so even if there’s a novel I’m really into, it usually has bad parts that put me off.

So, I’d like a good novel that is reasonably well written, but doesn’t focus on character drama unless it’s part of a bigger framework, and most of the themes are about big picture issues.

Some Arthur Clarke novels are a good example of stuff I’d like, but I ask the books not be limited to that kind of material.

Fortunato

[Grey Goose Mafiosi]

Level 51 Troll

mterek read some cormac mccarthy seriously.

gleebot

Level 69 Emo Kid

I feel pretty! Oh so pretty, and GAY!

well, i finished the book i was reading. im ready to kick out the forumwarz book club jams! sooner the better.

any more ideas?

duca

Avatar: 127754 2012-12-21 23:37:31 -0500

[And The Banned Pla-
yed On
]

Level 38 Camwhore

Happiness cannot be bought, but Crispers can.

How about some Douglas Coupland? His novels have a great sense of humour in them and are beautifully written.

Adapt

Avatar: 58104 2015-06-13 23:16:37 -0400

[Grey Goose Mafiosi]

Level 48 Camwhore

Celerysteve is better than me in everyway imaginable

I’ve read jpod like 8 times, but I would be down for a different one.

aSh-gangSTA--

Avatar: 23493 2011-10-31 20:46:14 -0400

[And The Banned Pla-
yed On
]

Level 60 Emo Kid

The Delightfully Chaotic

Time is a huge factor for me and I usually never get time to read but here are some of my favorites:

The Cheese Monkeys – Chip Kidd – Kidd himself is a famous graphic designer, does a lot of book covers. The novel is about a student enrolled into an art school in the 50’s, struggling with relationships, still life, and the most ****ed up intro to commercial art course probably ever.

Diary – Chuck Palahniuk – I like all of his books but this one was my favorite. A diary written by the wife of a man who is on life support thanks to a botched suicide attempt, that progresses as she finds out all of the awful things he was doing leading up to his failed suicide. Probably one of the best twists ever.

A Series of Unfortunate Events Books 1-13 – Lemony Snicket – I know it’s a young adult series, I originally bought it to read to my eldest daughter but I soon became hooked on it myself. A great adventure story that was tarnished by a hack job of a movie that smashed the first 3 books up in a blender and ruined it. Film aside, the 13 books, each 13 chapters in length, make for a great read – veeeery easy to follow since its target audience is 10-13 year olds. But like Harry Potter, don’t let that stop you from enjoying it.

World War Z – Max Brooks – Zombies. **** yes.

twas

Avatar: 40896 2011-11-01 00:47:59 -0400

[fine upstanding member of society]

Level 35 Troll

Wher Have My Poor Imaginary Wife and Child Gone

How about Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep??

I want to echo the endorsement of Diary. I think it is his beast written work, but the people I talk to don’t seem to like it.

PhineasPoe

Avatar: 12179 2010-01-24 16:27:57 -0500

[70 Character Story-
tellers
]

Level 35 Troll

You got a smudge there Phin... oh wait thats Trouts feces

Hey, guys, I’ve been really busy the past week or so, and I’m probably going to continue to be to an extent. Sorry for my negligence. I’m not sure what I’ll do with this, I’ll either have a few people decide on a book and everyone who wants to join in can or I’ll let it flounder.

Because that was my favorite character in the Little Mermaid.

Also, Diary is terrible. I will not re-read Diary. You guys can read it, but that book killed the Palahniuk fanboy in me.

PhineasPoe edited this message on 11/06/2009 10:24AM

Yukionna

Level 28 Hacker

“1337”

How about The king in the window?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_King_in_the_Window

Fortunato

[Grey Goose Mafiosi]

Level 51 Troll

PP will confirm, Palahniuk is for pansies. Cormac McCarthy’s where male’s badbum soul is laid bare.

I don’t even know what that means but it’s awesome.

Bandaney

Avatar: 70433 2014-06-07 22:10:47 -0400

[Grey Goose Mafiosi]

Level 60 Hacker

Ask me about how many male reproductive organs in my bum :zak:

PhineasPoe Posted:

Everything is Illuminated by Jonathan Safran Foer- This is another book with a gimmick. Actually it has about 1,000 gimmicks, including writing in dialect, jumping around in time line, author’s quasi-self-insertion, and parts of the story told in letters. Underneath the gimmicks is a decent story about a guy going to the Ukraine to find out more about his grandfather’s past. Some people love it, some people hate it. Would make for good discussion.

Loved that book Log in to see images!

twas

Avatar: 40896 2011-11-01 00:47:59 -0400

[fine upstanding member of society]

Level 35 Troll

Wher Have My Poor Imaginary Wife and Child Gone

PhineasPoe Posted:

Hey, guys, I’ve been really busy the past week or so, and I’m probably going to continue to be to an extent. Sorry for my negligence. I’m not sure what I’ll do with this, I’ll either have a few people decide on a book and everyone who wants to join in can or I’ll let it flounder.

Because that was my favorite character in the Little Mermaid.

Also, Diary is terrible. I will not re-read Diary. You guys can read it, but that book killed the Palahniuk fanboy in me.

Diary is his best written and most efficient work. Most likely, if you read Diary first you wouldn’t care for the other novels.

Melanin-Enha-
nced Individ-
ual

Avatar: 174541 2012-01-02 15:34:06 -0500

[enjoy GANG]

Level 35 Troll

If I can write this, my whole life has been wasted. I'm worthless and awful.

Fortunato Posted:

Palahniuk is for pansies.

dude diary was so badbum.

e: lol was beat me. also i think its because the novel reminds me somewhat of kurt vonnegut.

Melanin-Enhanced Individual edited this message on 11/12/2009 10:39PM

Melanin-Enha-
nced Individ-
ual

Avatar: 174541 2012-01-02 15:34:06 -0500

[enjoy GANG]

Level 35 Troll

If I can write this, my whole life has been wasted. I'm worthless and awful.

also palahniuks short guts is pretty good.

I will link if anyone wants to read. its graphic tho, gotta warn you. some nasty stuff happens.

AIDS woman's genitals

Avatar: 184403 2009-09-17 04:10:15 -0400

Level 69 Troll

show me your zucchini and I'll show you my cugreat timesber :zak:

­

AIDS CUNT edited this message on 04/29/2010 6:14AM
Internet Delay Chat
Have fun playing!
To chat with other players, you must Join Forumwarz or Log In now!