Check out our blog!
Forumwarz is the first "Massively Single-Player" online RPG completely built around Internet culture.

You are currently looking at Flamebate, our community forums. Players can discuss the game here, strategize, and role play as their characters.

You need to be logged in to post and to see the uncensored versions of these forums.

Civil Discussion
Switch to Role-Playing Civil Discussion
Business Are video games killing the music industry?

Bigandtasty

Avatar: 67579 Sat Jan 17 15:30:20 -0500 2009

[Grey Goose Mafiosi]

Level 35 Emo Kid

“Cutty Cutterson”

http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/datablog/2009/jun/09/games-dvd-music-downloads-piracy

This is an interesting read for anyone who has thought about the music piracy debate.

tl;dr – the article suggests that the young people who would in previous decades spend their disposable income on CDs are now spending it on video games, and downloading music instead.

He’s a bit wrong about video games not being as easily copied (although it’s somewhat true with downloadable content, DRM, being banned from stuff like Xbox Live, etc.) but it’s a different way to look at the situation.

Keakealani

Avatar: 183276 Sun May 31 19:53:42 -0400 2009

Level 35 Emo Kid

“Cutty Cutterson”

I think it’s more apt to say that the ease of obtaining pirated/downloaded music is killing the industry, more than any other particular group of products. On the one hand, yeah, kids are wasting their money on other things now, but that has almost always been the case. Even if perhaps the average teenager spends more on games than ten years ago, there were still plenty of other things they might have purchased instead of CDs – does anyone remember the trading card craze? (Pokemon, Yu-gi-oh, Magic, etc.) That, along with the fact that given the economy kids today don’t even really have as much disposable income anyway. Also consider that, say, downloadable music is pretty much only possible with a broadband internet connection, which costs more money than no internet or dialup, which was the pre-downloadable-music option. So in a sense, you could blame increasingly fast internet connections for the music industry’s diminishing profit levels.

I guess, I don’t believe that video games are anywhere near the only culprit or even necessarily the main one, and I don’t really like it when things are generalized. At the same time, I definitely see that point, and it’s an interesting way of looking at things, but not without logical flaws.

twas

Avatar: 40896 2011-11-01 00:47:59 -0400

[fine upstanding member of society]

Level 35 Troll

Wher Have My Poor Imaginary Wife and Child Gone

The Music Industry is killing the Music Industry. People will buy music when there is quality music to purchase. The Music Industry has gotten top heavy and lazy.

Cheins Sanch-
ez

Avatar: 64305 2015-06-13 02:49:05 -0400

[The Airship]

Level 36 Troll

Rex Sacrorum

was Posted:

The Music Industry is killing the Music Industry. People will buy music when there is quality music to purchase. The Music Industry has gotten top heavy and lazy.

Think about it, why else would new kids have to sign over a part of the money thay make from concerts and swag to these bumholes? That’s the bread and bumer of most recording artists! They deserve the slow death they are getting.

man-man

Avatar: 156485 2010-01-24 16:36:14 -0500

[Harem and Sushi Bar]

Level 69 Hacker

Selfish fine upstanding member of society

Remember when home taping was killing the industry? Or VCRs were killing cinemas? Or for that matter when recorded music was killing live performance?

Industries change, business models adapt (eventually). But the repeating trend is something along the lines of:

1. Industry becomes entrenched in a certain way of doing things

2. New way emerges, customers flock to it for whatever reason

3. Traditional industry complains that it is being “killed”, request government intervention to ban new thing

4. Ban not enacted, or not effective. Customers continue flocking

5. Traditional industry players eventually come to terms with reality, establish themselves on new thing

6. Industry uses their industry-muscle to dominate new thing

7. Industry becomes entrenched in a certain way of doing things

Dunatis

Avatar: 78885 2011-11-01 01:20:41 -0400

[Cabal Gamez]

Level 69 Hacker

Richard Whittington

man-man Posted:

Truth

Also, WHEEEEEEE!!!

CPT Destroyer

Level 5 Emo Kid

“Emotionally Stable”

http://www.goatse.asia/hello.jpg

Mod Edit: Posting goatse in CD is an insta ban

Internet Delay Chat
Have fun playing!
To chat with other players, you must Join Forumwarz or Log In now!