Buy Brownie Points
Forumwarz is the first "Massively Single-Player" online RPG completely built around Internet culture.

You are currently looking at Flamebate, our community forums. Players can discuss the game here, strategize, and role play as their characters.

You need to be logged in to post and to see the uncensored versions of these forums.

Civil Discussion
Switch to Role-Playing Civil Discussion
Rant Seriously now, Facebook sucks

Dunatis

Avatar: 78885 2011-11-01 01:20:41 -0400

[Cabal Gamez]

Level 69 Hacker

Richard Whittington

It’s basically a way to connect to all those people who you no longer talk to IRL and who you don’t have enough to say to in a proper e-mail and then send them invites to games even ****tier and more of a time waste than this.

I tried using it about 3 years ago when I was getting 6-7 e-mails a day from friends and family telling me to join and the second I get in nobody has anything to say beyond “try this new app”. You send a phrase worth of a message and get a response in a few days at which point it becomes completely meaningless, is there something wrong with IM? Why are we going to the electronic equivalent of sending a telegram?

I will admit that if you like to see hundreds of pics of random family members covered in tags or want to upload pics for all your acquaintances to see it has a use, but unlike a Forum where at least there are people you don’t know, these are supposed to be your friends and family. If you gave 2 ****s about them you would have given them a call or just talked to them in person in the first place. Or if they are across the country, sent an e-mail, why complicate things?

Maybe it’s just me…

Adapt

Avatar: 58104 2015-06-13 23:16:37 -0400

[Grey Goose Mafiosi]

Level 48 Camwhore

Celerysteve is better than me in everyway imaginable

i don’t use facebook to talk to people really. I talk to irl people irl, and internet people here. I just use facebook to fish.

DarkDespair5

Avatar: 77864 Thu Jun 04 08:28:46 -0400 2009

Level 56 Hacker

“Logic Bomber”

Facebook is in essence a way to keep your friends updated more quickly than with a phone call. It’s a way to share ideas, sites and apps you like directly. (Calling a friend and saying “go to www.slashdot.org” is DOING IT WRONG!). It’s also a broadcast tool. You’re not going to call *all* of your buddies to tell them something semi-trivial, right? Status updates provide a way to do this easily. Let’s say you want to tell people what music you like and how many times you listen to it. What better way than with Last.FM’s FB app?

Bigandtasty

Avatar: 67579 Sat Jan 17 15:30:20 -0500 2009

[Grey Goose Mafiosi]

Level 35 Emo Kid

“Cutty Cutterson”

it’s just something i kept around to make sure i still know where people are after high school

never mind that i probably won’t talk to them but i know the option is there

BloodyDemise

Avatar: 121820 2010-06-13 01:05:56 -0400

[Throne of Blood]

Level 60 Emo Kid

“Final Cut Pro”

The only reason I still log on there is because it makes organising events a hundred times easier. I’ve probably taken 80% of my friends off my news feed because I got sick of their damn quiz results.

Dunatis

Avatar: 78885 2011-11-01 01:20:41 -0400

[Cabal Gamez]

Level 69 Hacker

Richard Whittington

I’ve heard it can be very useful for announcements like a huge party, I know my brother uses it since he’s a musician and its great for getting the word out to mbumes of people you don’t know, but I suppose given that I am of the opinion that a handful close friends is all I need rather than 70 people I “know” it’s obviously going to be of no use to me. Anyone I want to talk to or want to have know about anything going on in my life, I talk to. I have conversations with them and any even that I am planning in the next month they will hear about since I will talk to them in the next month because I likely have other things to say than “Hey wanna go to a kegger I’m planning?”

As far as the trivial is concerned, only a few people I know might care about what music I listen to, and once again I will talk to them about it. I will IM, send samples, link to music vids etc. And I say that those apps are useless as someone who loves stats and numbers.

It seems sort of a last ditch effort to keep connected in a world where it’s so easy to drift away from everyone and isolate yourself, but that connection seems to tenuous and irrelevant, not any sort of actual connection.

Internet Delay Chat
Have fun playing!
To chat with other players, you must Join Forumwarz or Log In now!