Check out our blog!
Forumwarz is the first "Massively Single-Player" online RPG completely built around Internet culture.

You are currently looking at Flamebate, our community forums. Players can discuss the game here, strategize, and role play as their characters.

You need to be logged in to post and to see the uncensored versions of these forums.

Civil Discussion
Switch to Role-Playing Civil Discussion
Art The Forumwarz Book Club: An Idea Doomed To Fail

Yeah, you’ll have to set dates like “This is the day we decide on a book,” “This is the day you have to be done reading,” etc. If people are going to suggest stupid **** like that manga, which I’m hoping was a fakepost, just decide things. If I like this book, I’ll bumume your further decisions are cool and input suggestions. But if the typical FWZ majority takes over I won’t want to participate, personally.

Fortunato

Avatar: 72902 2010-02-03 18:45:17 -0500

[Grey Goose Mafiosi]

Level 51 Troll

ZOMBIE CANNONBALL OF GORE

1337xxxlolololxxx1337 Posted:

Yeah, you’ll have to set dates like “This is the day we decide on a book,” “This is the day you have to be done reading,” etc. If people are going to suggest stupid **** like that manga, which I’m hoping was a fakepost, just decide things. If I like this book, I’ll bumume your further decisions are cool and input suggestions. But if the typical FWZ majority takes over I won’t want to participate, personally.

Honestly I could get behind reading Kago; just about everything I’ve read of his is gross, offensive, hilarious and very intelligent. It would be a one day read, though.

Aldo_Anything

Avatar: 32555 2014-07-18 11:39:53 -0400

[Brainfreeze]

Level 69 Troll

male reproductive organMEISTER

Let’s do Pynchon and read it until the end of May. That’s long enough even if you don’t already have it. It has only about 200 pages, but it took me longer than other books.

The Unknown -
Comic

Avatar: 95506 Tue Dec 09 09:40:49 -0500 2008

[Gimmick Alts and R-
ole-Players Local -
Union 352
]

Level 2 Re-Re

I'M AWESOME APPRECIATE ME PLZ

All right, Crying of Lot 49 is the book for May. It can be a quick read, but it can be slow going trying to get a good understanding of what’s going on. If once somebody finishes the book or they want to point out something, ask a question, or quote something particularly good they can make a topic like FWZ Book Club: Crying of Lot 49 *Spoilers* or something. People can join in as they finish.

scully

Avatar: 12797 2015-07-20 16:59:13 -0400

[Good Omens]

Level 69 Camwhore

I really do talk ****!

The Unknown Comic Posted:

Oh, ****, I guess I should’ve been more clear. Well, Aldo and Corey said they’d be down for Lot 49. I’m sure some others will be too. If others don’t want to read it this time, maybe we’ll hit it next time or they’ll join in for the next book.

I feel bad now.

Don’t feel bad. Decision making, even accidentally is a good thing. For those on a budget, and who isn’t, it is quite inexpensive on Amazon if it isn’t available at a local library.

CoreyJess

Avatar: 2355 2015-02-10 15:56:06 -0500

[Brainfreeze]

Level 69 Troll

Pie cannot hide overwhelming naughtiness!

I’m down. I’ll order it today. Let’s set a date for the discussions to begin. I’m a very fast reader, so we can wait as short or long a time as you’d like.

SCARY-ACTIVI-
ST

Level 12 Troll

“Pain in the ASCII”

This is something I would be interested in, as I enjoy reading for pleasure. I rarely get a chance to discuss the books I read, since the only recreational reading my buddies do is of amine or manga, or **** like that.

Vageena Davis

Avatar: 151797 2010-01-24 16:34:00 -0500

[pizza party]

Level 69 Camwhore

I am easily offended. I also suck fine upstanding member of society male reproductive organs.

Sounds good. You picked an ebook I already had but never bothered to read. I look forward to participating.

Adapt

Avatar: 58104 2015-06-13 23:16:37 -0400

[Grey Goose Mafiosi]

Level 48 Camwhore

Celerysteve is better than me in everyway imaginable

The Unknown Comic Posted:

All right, Crying of Lot 49 is the book for May. It can be a quick read, but it can be slow going trying to get a good understanding of what’s going on. If once somebody finishes the book or they want to point out something, ask a question, or quote something particularly good they can make a topic like FWZ Book Club: Crying of Lot 49 *Spoilers* or something. People can join in as they finish.

k cool. Now I just have to go and get a copy.

Listen2Reason

Level 69 Troll

“Human Yeast Infection”

I read it a while back—Good choice. I found it curiously page-turning.

AIRZ

Level 37 Camwhore

“Legs Wide Open”

http://www.innternet.de/~peter.patti/thomaspynchon-thecryingoflot49.htm

—for those of you who are too cheap to buy it

such a trippy book

Lord Shplane

Avatar: 49819 Fri Dec 05 01:45:00 -0500 2008

[Forumwarz Speakeasy]

Level 69 Troll

:)

AIRZ Posted:

such a trippy book

Does the rest of the book just run on and on and on and on like the first paragraph? Because if it does I don’t really think I want to read it.

grinsen

Avatar: 81597 Sun Dec 14 02:08:47 -0500 2008

Level 69 Troll

“Human Yeast Infection”

I’m going to try and get in on the club, but my reading pace has really fallen off lately (doing more side work). I already have Lot 49 so that’s a good enough reason for me to join in.

Fair warning: For those of you who enjoy Lot 49 and are interested in more Pynchon, I’d recommend staying away from Gravity’s Rainbow. It’s one of those novels you kind of have to work towards…very difficult to read at first. My creative writing teacher in high school offered an “A” grade in the clbum to any student who could read it and give a 1 minute summary to her.

Adapt

Avatar: 58104 2015-06-13 23:16:37 -0400

[Grey Goose Mafiosi]

Level 48 Camwhore

Celerysteve is better than me in everyway imaginable

AIRZ Posted:

such a trippy book

thank you. Log in to see images!

Ardent

Level 69 Emo Kid

“The Infinite Sadness”

Small Gods- Terry Pratchett

Thief of Time- Terry Pratchett

Science of the Discworld 3: Darwin’s Watch- Terry Pratchett, Jack Cohen, and Ian Stewart

Zyria

Level 44 Emo Kid

“Tearleader”

sounds like fun. count me in…

unfortunately, I can’t find the book in my library. So I’ll be reading the online version.

Patently Chi-
ll Prestidig-
itator

Avatar: 128746 2011-10-09 04:24:59 -0400

[love is a dog from-
hell
]

Level 69 Troll

Celerysteve is incredible... he is just so... so incredible.

I’m in. I might not be done with the read this month because ot the exams I have coming up, but I’ll give it a shot.

Here’s a few ideas for the following months, though:

Hopscotch by Julio Cortazar

Written in an episodic, snapshot manner, the novel has 155 chapters, the last 99 being designated as “expendable.” The book can be read either in direct sequence from chapter 1 to 56, which, Cortázar writes, the reader can do “with a clean conscience”, or by hopscotching through the entire set of 155 chapters—except chapter 55—according to a table provided by the author that leaves the reader, finally, in an infinite loop between the last two chapters in the sequence. There are several other ways to read the novel, such as reading only the odd or even pages, or choosing chapters in completely random order. Some of the “expendable” chapters fill in gaps in the main story, while others add information about the characters or record the aesthetic and literary speculations of a writer named Morelli (possibly a stand-in for the author) who makes a brief appearance in the narrative. The novel is also considered to belong in the genre of Latin American magical realism and is an example of multiple endings.

John Dies at the End by David Wong (I have this in .doc format if you don’t own it and the Amazon price is out of your league)

Comedic horror novel, John Dies at the End follows the two protagonists, John and Dave, two slobs from an undisclosed town in the American Midwest, as they’re dragged into a number of paranormal adventures in which the world is at stake. It really is cooler than it sounds.

One hundred years of solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez

I don’t even know how to start talking about this one; it’s a family history and a town history, written in an objective, but parodic manner and pretty much one of my favorite books of all-time. The generations change and each is as fascinating as the previous, while it repeats the mistakes of old. Two of the more important themes of the book are the subjectiveness of reality and the circularity of history, as a whole.

The Time of the Hero by Mario Vargas Llosa

The most important part of this book has got to be the use of multiple perspectives, to the point that identifying the narrator is virtually impossible in any given part of the book during the first read. It’s a story of a military high school and a scale model of the Peruvian society, a mystery and a tale that rivals The king of the flies at some points.

The storyteller by Mario Vargas Llosa

A return to a time of myth, melded with fragments of modern-day society. The story of a fragmented tribe in the Amazonian rainforest and its mythology and that of an outcast of the modern-day Peruvian society.

Nostalgia by Mircea Cartarescu

The novel consists of five distinct parts which bumiduously link together to produce a narrative that is on the one hand disjointed and on the other produces, as a whole, a kind of hidden center while negotiation the Romanian relationship to time and place, state and nationalism, communism and community, the rural and the capital with a neurotic, hallucinatory fervor that itself seems an exhalation of all of these anxieties, breathed through the lungs of Romania’s leading poet. As Laura Savu puts it in World Literature in Review, “His intellectual fervor, dazzling linguistic play, and visceral prose…often touch a cultural nerve.”

Edit: Added descriptions to each book.

Patently Chill Prestidigitator edited this message on 05/11/2009 7:33PM

The Unknown -
Comic

Avatar: 95506 Tue Dec 09 09:40:49 -0500 2008

[Gimmick Alts and R-
ole-Players Local -
Union 352
]

Level 2 Re-Re

I'M AWESOME APPRECIATE ME PLZ

All right, kids, I just got back my copy of TCoL49 as all the kids text these days. I know it’s short and some of you are fast readers, but I’m not going to make the discussion topic until around May 30th.

However, like I said earlier if anyone else finishes up and wants to start talking before they forget they can feel free to make the topic earlier. You can also make it if you just want to ask a question or point out a good part.

In the mean time, read up and suggest some books for next go-round. Remember, for the sake of efficiency suggest one book and describe it a little. If you’ve all ready suggested one, you might want to post it again to keep memories fresh.

CoreyJess

Avatar: 2355 2015-02-10 15:56:06 -0500

[Brainfreeze]

Level 69 Troll

Pie cannot hide overwhelming naughtiness!

May 30th sounds like a good date to me.

I’ll also re-suggest Lamb by Christopher Moore. A great book that I really want to discuss intelligently.

Catt although

Avatar: 46806 2022-11-29 03:06:42 +0000

[Brainfreeze]

Level 69 Troll

Last Catt Standing

CoreyJess Posted:

May 30th sounds like a good date to me.

I’ll also re-suggest Lamb by Christopher Moore. A great book that I really want to discuss intelligently.

Lamb was excellent. A similiar and also great book is “God Knows” by Joseph Heller. I’m going to attempt Lot 49.

Internet Delay Chat
Have fun playing!
To chat with other players, you must Join Forumwarz or Log In now!