Buy Official Merchandise!
Forumwarz is the first "Massively Single-Player" online RPG completely built around Internet culture.

You are currently looking at Flamebate, our community forums. Players can discuss the game here, strategize, and role play as their characters.

You need to be logged in to post and to see the uncensored versions of these forums.

Civil Discussion
Switch to Role-Playing Civil Discussion
Macho How often is it recommended that a player read the rules in each individual forum section?

scully

Avatar: 12797 2015-07-20 16:59:13 -0400

[Good Omens]

Level 69 Camwhore

I really do talk ****!

Last night gigerth was banned for posting a non-shock pic of a dude peeing on another dude in a sticky thread in a role playing forum. Today was was banned for just a really random pics posted in a sticky.

These bans were due to the a new rule specific to the Whores Just Wanna Have Fun! forum. This is the only forum with this bonus arbitrary rule. A rule that makes no sense from a spam perspective since I can adblock whatever image I choose completely eliminating that spam, yet if someone wants to go into those same threads and post blank line spam or wall-of-text spam it is a-ok. This rule was implemented a month ago with absolutely zero fanfare anywhere. There was no blog note about it, no twitter update. Here is the edit that was posted to the WJWHF forum rules a month ago.

Oh, also? We like looking at ****s. We don’t so much like looking at non-****s. Posting any images in Sticky threads in this forum which do not directly apply to the subject of the thread is bannable.

MC Banhammer edited this message on 03/02/2009 4:05PM

As noted in the thread title: how often is one supposed to read the rules for specific forums? It is noted in the main rules that we should “Note that all forums may have rules particular to them, and these are in stickies in those forums. Read those before posting there; bumuming that this post has everything of pertinence is not a safe bumumption.” Ok, I did. I’ve always read every rule sticky in every forum before posting there for the first time. I don’t find that to be unreasonable. So, now am I supposed to recheck the rules every single time I post in every different forum area? And why isn’t there an announcement of some kind when these or any rules change? It is ridiculous to expect players to check for random crap every time they post.

Reality wise, I simply disagree with the rule itself. It is a role playing forum. If people have troll based characters and spamming it their thing, so be it.

– Is there a reason that when a rule that will obviously impact players is introduced, it isn’t announced?

– Is there a reason that we can’t have one set of rules to govern Flamebate?

– Is there a reason that there isn’t a set of all encompbuming rules posted as a formal thing (similar to the “about”, “blog”, “code of ethics” links that are displayed at the bottom of every page?

– In this specific situation – is there a reason that some pics that are off topic or not in keeping with the theme are allowed, while others are not? Looking through the stickies, the following posts should probably be edited to reflect the new rule.

http://www.forumwarz.com/discussions/view_post/554976 - why was this ok and a vacuum cleaner wasn't?

From the short bangs:
http://www.forumwarz.com/discussions/view_post/554955 <- not short!
http://www.forumwarz.com/discussions/view_post/554976 <- not short!

Shoe on head:
http://www.forumwarz.com/discussions/view_post/500121 <- no shoe!
http://www.forumwarz.com/discussions/view_post/500124 <- quoting no shoe!
http://www.forumwarz.com/discussions/view_post/513984 <- clearly not on head!

male reproductive organ and Vag:
http://www.forumwarz.com/discussions/view_post/551149 <- spaghetti monster tentacle enjoy, not male reproductive organ or vag!

Inertia

Avatar: 60995 Fri Apr 03 12:59:05 -0400 2009

[Shii is gay]

Level 35 Troll

also wow i have no male reproductive organ

wow there’s a new rule there?

glad i barely ever post in camwhore

Colonel Bear

Avatar: 68748 Mon May 18 15:38:07 -0400 2009

[Very Busy Klan]

Level 35 Troll

“Problem Child IV”

This post is really irrelevant to the actual game, and I believe you might be trolling the mods in some respects.

ANGRY HOBO

Avatar: 49150 Tue Aug 11 01:43:48 -0400 2009

Level 28 Emo Kid

lmbo i gave this account and now its full of people :D bye all this game is ****....................

I agree with the OP, this game is already bad and boring enough in my honest opinion, and flamebate is going downwards. This way I doubt people will stick to forumwaz for long.

Instead of creating dumb rulles, try to make the old ones more clear.

Shii

Avatar: 23167 2010-01-24 16:31:18 -0500

[Phantasmagoric Spl-
endor
]

Level 35 Emo Kid

I haven't seen a bad idea that I didn't like.

Agree with OP fully. Making new rules with no fanfare that are particular to a single forum is absolutely ridiculous.

ANGRY HOBO

Avatar: 49150 Tue Aug 11 01:43:48 -0400 2009

Level 28 Emo Kid

lmbo i gave this account and now its full of people :D bye all this game is ****....................

Largehardoncollider Posted:

This post is really irrelevant to the actual game, and I believe you might be trolling the mods in some respects.

I could say the same about your post on this thread, if this was whores forum and that post was a pic you wold be banned by now. Would that be fair? I dont think so. And you know its not fair aswell

MC Banhammer

Avatar: 1887 2011-07-31 00:40:59 -0400

[Good Omens]

Level 69 Troll

Trying to create drama to drum up the ratings by any means necessary!

Short answer: It’s expected that people who post in forums will see the forums. It is not expected that people who post in forums will see anything on twitter or the blog.

So rules which are added/modified/sometimes_deleted are updated in the pertinent rule thread(s). Rules stickies are stickied for a reason. You should make it a practice of checking if they’ve been updated. Hopefully the “new posts” will draw attention to them. An actual “show me all updated threads since my last visit” would serve better than “active posts”, but we make do with what we have.

And not all forums are created equal, so not all forums have the same rules.

Thank you for reporting those violations, we’ll look at them as time permits.

scully

Avatar: 12797 2015-07-20 16:59:13 -0400

[Good Omens]

Level 69 Camwhore

I really do talk ****!

I consider Flamebate and role play one of the most interesting and vital parts of this game. Some rules are obviously needed, but I think it is horribly irresponsible to make changes to the current rules without making players aware. I also strongly disagree with creating rules after the fact.

Big Brother

Avatar: 45759 Fri Oct 17 23:44:23 -0400 2008

Level 66 Troll

woman's genitals

minimod

Samildanach

Avatar: 143751 Tue May 19 21:18:21 -0400 2009

Level 34 Hacker

“43 4f 44 45 20 4d 41 53 54 45 52”

I’m not going to touch the topic of what rules are appropriate/necessary, cuz I ain’t been here long enough for that.

Sticking to OP topic, though – I tend to think changes to the rules should be announced visibly and publicly. I’m with Lester, in that I read the rules before my first posting in a forum – I don’t expect to have to reread the sticky for changes every time I log in.

Short of a more formal system to announce changes, at the very least, a simple post from a mod in either the respective forum, or in GD, would certainly be in order. Something along the lines of

It would (hopefully) also make life easier for the mods who have to enforce the rules. Joke as we might, I’ve modded elsewhere myself, and nobody really wants to be the ogre and banhammer people who were just having fun and couldn’t reasonably be aware of rule changes.

OK, well, most people at least don’t want to be seen as that ogre.

Alright… nobody wants to have to go to the trouble of banning a ton of users because they honestly missed a change, then get bawwwwwed at for doing their damn job and enforcing the rules.

MC Banhammer

[Good Omens]

Level 69 Troll

Samildanach Posted:

a simple post from a mod in either the respective forum

We DO THAT ALREADY! And the post in question was made a month and a half ago. If they didn’t see that, they’re not going to have seen a temporary sticky thread.

Big Brother

Avatar: 45759 Fri Oct 17 23:44:23 -0400 2008

Level 66 Troll

woman's genitals

How about we make it so that every time a rule changes, a cutscene is created that you can’t use flamebate until you view?

aSh-gangSTA--

Avatar: 23493 2011-10-31 20:46:14 -0400

[And The Banned Pla-
yed On
]

Level 60 Emo Kid

The Delightfully Chaotic

Would it be that hard to change the title at the end of the rules thread that says “UPDATED MM/DD/YY”

It’s not complex. It’s effortless. You’re already editing the message anyway.

And don’t point out time stamps. Nobody looks at those. Ever.

MC Banhammer

[Good Omens]

Level 69 Troll

handofg0d Posted:

Would it be that hard to change the title at the end of the rules thread that says “UPDATED MM/DD/YY”

There’s a “last post date” which already serves this function.

handofg0d Posted:

And don’t point out time stamps. Nobody looks at those. Ever.

Too late. And I look at them all the time.

And people don’t seem to want multiple rules threads.

The thread wasn’t even stickied when he started rightfully trolling it. He should have received a warning to stop because it’s a new rule, or more likely if you want to outlaw trolling move the thread to non-rp. He knows the rules when he makes a bannable post, just like I do and many others. He could have then made a choice to keep trolling it or stop.

CaptainDDL

Avatar: 34340 2009-09-30 16:41:31 -0400

[Brainfreeze]

Level 63 Troll

Fran's Beautiful Lover XOXOXOXOXO

MC Banhammer Posted:

We DO THAT ALREADY! And the post in question was made a month and a half ago. If they didn’t see that, they’re not going to have seen a temporary sticky thread.

Honestly, I doubt I would have noticed, even if I were a regular in that forum. Either a twitter (‘rules in RP forums have change, click here for more’ ), or making use of the black alert box would be a much better way of alerting everyone to the change. We’re all not moderators, and we don’t all spend our time studying up on rules we’ve already read. Log in to see images! CaptainDDL edited this message on 04/15/2009 8:08PM

MC Banhammer

[Good Omens]

Level 69 Troll

CaptainDDL Posted:

Either a twitter (‘rules in RP forums have change, click here for more’ ), or making use of the black alert box

Please read all the other posts where it’s explained why this idea is not a practical one.

Montressor

Avatar: 77535 Tue Jan 13 09:44:11 -0500 2009

[Phantasmagoric Spl-
endor
]

Level 37 Hacker

Let’s also remember for what purpose this rule was created: to prevent two specific posters (gothzilla and derkaiserreich) from fabulous personging up stickies hourly with really long, incredibly annoying spam. Gigerth wasn’t spamming.

Wylin

Avatar: 19712 Thu Mar 26 21:15:20 -0400 2009

[Brainfreeze]

Level 69 Troll

Causing Jealousy On The Internet On A Daily Basis.

Only rules posts should be stickied in RP forums.

Wylin edited this message on 04/15/2009 9:40PM

Samildanach

Avatar: 143751 Tue May 19 21:18:21 -0400 2009

Level 34 Hacker

MC Banhammer Posted:

Apologies, then… My bad.

Apparently I’m just… “special.” Log in to see images!

Internet Delay Chat
Have fun playing!
To chat with other players, you must Join Forumwarz or Log In now!