Buy Official Merchandise!
Forumwarz is the first "Massively Single-Player" online RPG completely built around Internet culture.

You are currently looking at Flamebate, our community forums. Players can discuss the game here, strategize, and role play as their characters.

You need to be logged in to post and to see the uncensored versions of these forums.

Civil Discussion
Switch to Role-Playing Civil Discussion
Business A better way to fix Itembuildr
Poll: Should Downvoting in Itembuildr be eliminated altogether?
You must be logged in to vote.

Fingerz

Avatar: 22863 2010-11-15 01:15:51 -0500

[7 VIBRATING DOLDOES]

Level 35 Emo Kid

A neverhasbeen

Completely eliminate Downvoting in Itembuildr, leaving voters 2 options for any given submission: UPVOTE or Pbum

This will ensure that we aren’t faced with this “no pictures for the item” situation again in the future. I logged in late today and saw that there were NO pictures for me to vote on, which I thought strange seeing as I had submitted one myself, so I knew there had been at least one submission. Discussions in other threads confirms that more than one picture was submitted for this week’s itembuildr round, yet there are none to be found.

WoweeZowee

Level 35 Emo Kid

“Cutty Cutterson”

not in forumbuildr, it will get all crammed up with submission, it will become even more of a pain to browse through them.

Fingerz

[7 VIBRATING DOLDOES]

Level 35 Emo Kid

A neverhasbeen

WoweeZowee Posted:

not in forumbuildr, it will get all crammed up with submission, it will become even more of a pain to browse through them.

I just threw that in as a poll option because I had a feeling if I didn’t, people would post a ton of “ALSO GET RID OF DOWNVOTING IN FORUMBUILDR” posts in here Log in to see images!

I think this poll will give admin an idea of how the community feels about this issue. And it IS an actual issue now, not a “potential problem” anymore.

dobnits

Avatar: 58842 2010-01-24 16:19:10 -0500

[The Scrotal Safety-
Commission
]

Level 69 Troll

THE LEGENDARY PINK DOBS

Fingerz Posted:

And it IS an actual issue now, not a “potential problem” anymore.

I could not agree with you more.

As such, I am stickying this to see if the community has any good ways to fix this problem.

Please keep it on topic.

dobnits edited this message on 03/29/2009 9:01PM

zagerblag

Avatar: 102042 Wed Jun 03 22:55:29 -0400 2009

[Board of Directors]

Level 35 Hacker

asdf

I think the fix should be to remove submission removal, but keep downvoting. As it stands, it only takes 6 quick downvoters (more to be safe) to completely wipe itembuildr at the start of voting. I wonder what will actually happen to the current item.

Inertia

Avatar: 60995 Fri Apr 03 12:59:05 -0400 2009

[Shii is gay]

Level 35 Troll

also wow i have no male reproductive organ

also fix the algorithm that chooses which submissions to display first to the voters.

Pavilion

Avatar: 74903 2011-07-31 00:19:12 -0400

[Forumwarz Speakeasy]

Level 69 Hacker

“Trojan Horse Magnum”

I know that downvoting in Forumbuildr helps to weed out the entries, but it’s sort of bad allowing other users to nullify someone’s vote when they don’t like it.

My suggestion: implement some sort of weighted system. Each day, the entries would have a certain amount of votes removed; any that goes below 0 would be discarded. The number removed would increase each day and those who try to cheat the day system by making an entry later in the week would be hit with a larger vote removal.

Already, I can see the implications, such as those who happen to make a great entry later in the week. It’s something, though.

Possibly a C-
abbage

Avatar: 76887 Fri Oct 24 03:39:44 -0400 2008

[Leafy Green Vegeta-
bles
]

Level 35 Hacker

Herbaceous, biennial, dicotyledonous , and flowering.

I’m not entirely sure if downvoting should be removed entirely, but I think “what it does” should be changed fundamentally. The value of downvoting is so that people don’t have to wade through enormous piles of submissions in order to find the good ones. But it does this whether it removes the offending entries from competition entirely, or just shoves them to the bottom of the list.

So what I would like to see is:

However many submissions fit on a page (I think it’s 15), even before voting, the first 15 you see when you go to vote are the 15 of the unvoted which currently have the highest score, in random order. The next 15 you see are the 16-30 of the unvoted, and so on. No submissions ever go away, no matter how bad their scores are. So that way, if someone really wants to dive in whole hog, more power to them. But if someone just wants to play their part in figuring out what the very best of the best ideas are, they only have to go through one page or maybe two of submissions, after a few people have bothered to vote.

durtymrclean

Avatar: 145601 Mon Apr 06 16:36:14 -0400 2009

Level 69 Troll

“Human Yeast Infection”

I say whoever has a higher buildr score, has a higher chance of their posts/thread titles show up on forumbuildr. That way better quality writers get first dibs on votes while others have to earn the right to have more views on their submissions.

Fran

Avatar: 34789 2015-08-06 21:23:09 -0400

[A Beautiful Place -
Out in the Country
]

Level 62 Camwhore

I wonder who is the bumbling idiot that still has fake currency on this website and actually spends

On this subject, I remember that JB once threatened to ban people who would just blindly downvote everything in Forumbuildr (I think it was SuperMonkeyMan but I’m not sure and Flamebate search engine is just that limited)...

It’s been a while since I buildr stuff, and I never touched itembuildr, but I’m sure these people still exist. Maybe if you actually ENFORCE that rule, stuff may change?

EDIT: Found it, I’m glad he didn’t have too much of a posting story otherwise it would be hell to find it. I know, Trollhole, but judging by the TM’s content and ET’s answer… maybe they were planning this then scrapped the idea together.

Fran edited this message on 03/31/2009 7:59AM

Veist

Avatar: 35066 2012-11-21 18:44:47 -0500

[I hate you all]

Level 69 Troll

“Human Yeast Infection”

Can we get some statistics on how many downvotes are handed out compared to upvotes? I’m betting there is a ridiculously disproportionate number of downvotes being handed out especially in the early part of voting. I’m pretty sure that 90% of the submissions can’t be so bad that they should be eliminated within an hour of voting opening.

Possibly a C-
abbage

[Leafy Green Vegeta-
bles
]

Level 35 Hacker

Veist Posted:

Can we get some statistics on how many downvotes are handed out compared to upvotes?

This would be great to have, considering it is entirely possible that downvoting far outpaces upvoting here. Would it be hard for ET to just track these things?

Alternatively, just remove downvoting from itembuildr.

Fatquack

[Brainfreeze]

Level 35 Camwhore

“Legs Wide Open”

Veist Posted:

I’m pretty sure that 90% of the submissions can’t be so bad that they should be eliminated within an hour of voting opening.

I happened to vote a few times just after the voting started and while it’s not 90% there is a ton of utter crap in the submissions, things like “ET is gay” and similar crap. Not to mention people just submitting the same thing every time, whatever the item is. It’s no fun wading through pages and pages of submissions. On forumbuilder I have given up voting, there is just too much crap.

warjoke

Level 35 Troll

“Problem Child IV”

not exactly a good idea in forumbldr since there are too many submissions and it may eliminate bad ones too.

itembldr is currently having problems of downvoters recently.

quangntenemy

Avatar: 14557 2011-10-31 11:07:55 -0400

[WeChall]

Level 69 Troll

:ronpaul: :****ing sucks:

I think the easiest way is to put a quota on downvoting. Each user can only downvote like 10% of the submissions. So only terrible submissions get wiped.

Auser

Avatar: 89481 Thu Feb 26 14:58:28 -0500 2009

[Grey Goose Mafiosi]

Level 35 Troll

Just south of sanity

quangntenemy Posted:

I think the easiest way is to put a quota on downvoting. Each user can only downvote like 10% of the submissions. So only terrible submissions get wiped.

I agree with this. We need downvoting in some form, just not as savage as it is at the minute. It will stop players downvoting other ideas unfairly too

Edit. In forumbuildr Log in to see images!

Itembuildr – just get rid of downvotes for now and see what happens

Auser edited this message on 04/05/2009 8:23AM

Samildanach

Avatar: 143751 Tue May 19 21:18:21 -0400 2009

Level 34 Hacker

“43 4f 44 45 20 4d 41 53 54 45 52”

Alright, I’m a buildr newb, but I have a suggestion. Since this is the stickied “fix buildr” thread, hopefully I’m not going off-topic.

I’ve thought of a fix that I believe allows us to keep the benefit of downvoting (reduce the amount of crap voters have to wade through) and eliminate the major downside (reduce options for voters, sometimes to nothing). It can be implemented in Item and Forumbuildr without wrecking either. And hopefully, it’s simple to implement.

Below “More Random Submissions”, add an option to “See Random Downvoted Submissions”. Boom.

Now, when there’s only 21 submissions, and 20 are downvoted, voters have an option beyond “Vote out this last bad submission.” No one has to wade through downvoted submissions in any buildr, but anyone can. Ideas that were already voted below the cutoff continue to accrue downvotes if they were really bad, but they can be resurrected back to (at least) -4 status if they were just obsessively downvoted for no good reason. Theoretically, truly bad ideas will stay out of sight of those who don’t want to see them, while ideas with potential at least get a chance.

On Forumbuildr, this’ll probably have very little effect. It’s unlikely users are going to want to wade through pages and pages of rejected ideas.

On Itembuildr, where there’s a lot fewer submissions to look through, people are more likely to want to see them all, which might allow some worthwhile images etc to make it to the finals.

TL;DR: Just add a bumon to allow users to vote on downvoted submissions.

That’s my suggestion. Take, use, alter, call me an idiot… whatever works. Early downvoting will still hurt an idea more than I’d prefer, since fewer people are likely to see it, but at least it won’t kill the submission forever.

Veist

Avatar: 35066 2012-11-21 18:44:47 -0500

[I hate you all]

Level 69 Troll

“Human Yeast Infection”

quangntenemy Posted:

This is probably a pretty workable compromise type solution. I like it.

Fingerz

[7 VIBRATING DOLDOES]

Level 35 Emo Kid

A neverhasbeen

Have we fixed buildr yet?

Possibly a C-
abbage

[Leafy Green Vegeta-
bles
]

Level 35 Hacker

Fingerz Posted:

Have we fixed buildr yet?

This is ForumWarz, if the question is “Have we fixed X yet?” the answer is most likely “no”.

Internet Delay Chat
Have fun playing!
To chat with other players, you must Join Forumwarz or Log In now!