Check out our blog!
Forumwarz is the first "Massively Single-Player" online RPG completely built around Internet culture.

You are currently looking at Flamebate, our community forums. Players can discuss the game here, strategize, and role play as their characters.

You need to be logged in to post and to see the uncensored versions of these forums.

Civil Discussion
Switch to Role-Playing Civil Discussion
Feature Item effects

meeeeeeeeee

Avatar: 15443 2010-04-04 18:27:25 -0400

[Brainfreeze]

Level 35 Troll

Sneakily vicious and filled with virtuous pit bulls.

Some item effects which should be easy enough to implement, and add a little variety to the items we can equip;

– constant healing. An item which provides a small amount of healing per turn. Basically for re-re’s and perman00bs, or newer players. Takes an item slot so may make forum pwning slower (if it’s at the expense of offense) but reduce overall consumable costs.

– constant low level damage. A range of items at different damage levels? Would be in addition to your own damage. An alternative to an offense boost, but would not scale with offense, so a good choice for some forums but not others. Damage would be X+Y*Z, where X is the damage boost, Y is the base attack damage and Z is your offense level.

– boost a stat at the expense of another stat. Boost ego at the expense of offense or defense. Boost offense at the expense of defense or ego. A way to change your stat distribution without respeccing.

– items which boost upkeep, the only stat which doesn’t appear on items. Why not?

– items which increase or decrease the number of threads in a forum (within the pre-existing forum limits) If you want to farm for moar files equip such an item, and you’d be able to reach the thread limit more often (thus making the constant rechecking less tedious) at the expense of some item slot pwning stats. Likewise if you want to speedrun on a low thread count for job points or lemon scoops etc (at the expenese of pwning stats, perhaps making it more difficult to speedrun those fewer threads)

– one shot item to restore a broken pistachio streak. Flezz surcharge when using according to where in your streak you are? Near the start = cheap. Near the end = very expensive. Possibly other penalties e.g. sacrifice another forum visit, no chance to get more peen for that streak. Pistachio streaks are very fragile, and that may be a good thing, but the all or nothing nature of them is a harsh lesson in obsessive perfection. I think making streaks more resilient to mistakes is a good idea, if there are penalties to do so. + yet another way to take flezz out of the economy.

meeeeeeeeee edited this message on 03/05/2009 2:40PM

Fortunato

Avatar: 72902 2010-02-03 18:45:17 -0500

[Grey Goose Mafiosi]

Level 51 Troll

ZOMBIE CANNONBALL OF GORE

WHy hasn’t anyone suggested these yet? These are great ideas.

Also, does the patch count?

Inconnu

Avatar: 48966 2011-07-31 19:36:53 -0400

[The Scrotal Safety-
Commission
]

Level 69 Camwhore

Qui est cette chienne

inb4 itembuildr Log in to see images!

DEAD fabulous person

Avatar: 21099 Wed Jul 08 18:09:49 -0400 2009

[Vacation Hideaway]

Level 35 Camwhore

AAA++++!!! WOULD BUY AGAIN!!!

meeeeeeeeee Posted:

Some item effects which should be easy enough to implement, and add a little variety to the items we can equip;

– items which increase or decrease the number of threads in a forum (within the pre-existing forum limits) If you want to farm for moar files equip such an item, and you’d be able to reach the thread limit more often (thus making the constant rechecking less tedious) at the expense of some item slot pwning stats. Likewise if you want to speedrun on a low thread count for job points or lemon scoops etc (at the expenese of pwning stats may making it more difficult to speedrun those fewer threads)

– one shot item to restore a broken pistachio streak. Flezz surcharge when using according to where in your streak you are? Near the start = cheap. Near the end = very expensive. Possibly other penalties e.g. sacrifice another forum visit, no chance to get more peen for that streak. Pistachio streaks are very fragile, and that may be a good thing, but the all or nothing nature of them is a harsh lesson in obsessive perfection. I think making streaks more resilient to mistakes is a good idea, if there are penalties to do so. + yet another way to take flezz out of the economy.

Just quoting the more interesting of your suggestions. I think neither of these are “simple” item effects like the stat boosts… but I really like some way to influence thread count. Checking forums again, and again, and again to get what you want is boring and frustrating and pretty much the opposite of fun. Side effect would be that thread counts can be spaded more easily.

Something to fix a streak? I dunno. What I do know is that pistachio is going through the roof atm, streaks are getting insanely long and indeed, one lost visit (which could be due to a bug) has the potential to really **** you up hard. But I really think that’s a separate issue that deserves attention outside the scope of proposed item effects.

Inconnu

Avatar: 48966 2011-07-31 19:36:53 -0400

[The Scrotal Safety-
Commission
]

Level 69 Camwhore

Qui est cette chienne

Now let’s add runes, gems and item sets Log in to see images!

cya

Avatar: 146808 2012-12-30 22:05:41 -0500

[Deth Krew 2010]

Level 69 Hacker

Scared of death

Inconnu Posted:

Don’t for get enchants!

Kilroy

Avatar: 62524 Fri Dec 26 00:25:59 -0500 2008

Level 35 Emo Kid

“Cutty Cutterson”

They’re all very good, except…

meeeeeeeeee Posted:

- items which boost upkeep, the only stat which doesn’t appear on items. Why not?

That would be counterproductive. Upkeep makes items last longer, so an item that makes items last longer would have to be very fragile, so to say.

Dyson Logos

Level 35 Troll

“Problem Child IV”

Inconnu Posted:

Hells yes.

I want “Xylon’s Panties (socketed)”, “Xylon’s spamsoft.prog” and “Xylon’s deluxe whining.hear (socketed)”, and I want them now.

What else am I going to do with these runes that need sockets? Still have “Whine”, “**** & Whine” and “Moan, **** & Whine” and the three of them on the same set items would be l33t.

Dyson Logos

Level 35 Troll

“Problem Child IV”

Kilroy Posted:

They’re all very good, except…

That would be counterproductive. Upkeep makes items last longer, so an item that makes items last longer would have to be very fragile, so to say.

I dunno, it would be good if it took up a key equipment slot and had no other bonuses, basically.

Aldo_Anything

Avatar: 32555 2014-07-18 11:39:53 -0400

[Brainfreeze]

Level 69 Troll

male reproductive organMEISTER

meeeeeeeeee Posted:

– constant healing. An item which provides a small amount of healing per turn. Basically for re-re’s and perman00bs, or newer players. Takes an item slot so may make forum pwning slower (if it’s at the expense of offense) but reduce overall consumable costs.

– constant low level damage. A range of items at different damage levels? Would be in addition to your own damage. An alternative to an offense boost, but would not scale with offense, so a good choice for some forums but not others. Damage would be X+Y*Z, where X is the damage boost, Y is the base attack damage and Z is your offense level.

These are intereting, a more powerful constant healing could also be helpful.

I like constant low level damage more as a poison effect against the player.

Streak Restore would be supported by me, but only because of its flezz cut. I prefer the streak marker script

Aldo_Anything edited this message on 03/06/2009 7:47PM

TUBSWEETIE

Avatar: 3450 2011-07-31 00:45:06 -0400

[And The Banned Pla-
yed On
]

Level 37 Troll

MY MEMORY IS THAT OF A SMALL GRAPE

These are great ideas.

I must take this opportunity to say “lol level 5 jeweled earbleeders”

-MLF-

Avatar: 83146 Sun Jan 18 18:56:12 -0500 2009

Level 60 Hacker

“Cracking Addict”

meeeeeeeeee Posted:

- constant healing. An item which provides a small amount of healing per turn. Basically for re-re’s and perman00bs, or newer players. Takes an item slot so may make forum pwning slower (if it’s at the expense of offense) but reduce overall consumable costs.

Exists already. It’s called the The EndoPatch™

meeeeeeeeee Posted:

- constant low level damage. A range of items at different damage levels? Would be in addition to your own damage. An alternative to an offense boost, but would not scale with offense, so a good choice for some forums but not others. Damage would be X+Y*Z, where X is the damage boost, Y is the base attack damage and Z is your offense level.

This is a very good idea, but keep in mind it takes awhile to code all this stuff, test it, and the community would never be satisfied. Along with that, everyone would complain that hackers would receive a huge advantage from their abnormally high offense.

meeeeeeeeee Posted:

- boost a stat at the expense of another stat. Boost ego at the expense of offense or defense. Boost offense at the expense of defense or ego. A way to change your stat distribution without respeccing.

Their are some troll attacks (+15 offense, -5 douchebaggery) that do just that. Now, again, this would be difficult to regulate, and would significantly lower the difficulty of the game.

meeeeeeeeee Posted:

- items which boost upkeep, the only stat which doesn’t appear on items. Why not?

Seems a bit unrealistic doesn’t it? An item, which makes all your other items last longer? Also, what’s going on now is creating Flezz sinks as to not give people huge advantages. This goes completely against that.

meeeeeeeeee Posted:

- items which increase or decrease the number of threads in a forum (within the pre-existing forum limits) If you want to farm for moar files equip such an item, and you’d be able to reach the thread limit more often (thus making the constant rechecking less tedious) at the expense of some item slot pwning stats. Likewise if you want to speedrun on a low thread count for job points or lemon scoops etc (at the expenese of pwning stats, perhaps making it more difficult to speedrun those fewer threads)

Great idea.

meeeeeeeeee Posted:

- one shot item to restore a broken pistachio streak. Flezz surcharge when using according to where in your streak you are? Near the start = cheap. Near the end = very expensive. Possibly other penalties e.g. sacrifice another forum visit, no chance to get more peen for that streak. Pistachio streaks are very fragile, and that may be a good thing, but the all or nothing nature of them is a harsh lesson in obsessive perfection. I think making streaks more resilient to mistakes is a good idea, if there are penalties to do so. + yet another way to take flezz out of the economy.

This is a terrible idea. Essentially, this is putting it out there that users that have been on Forumwarz longer, and have stockpiled loads of Flezz, are given special priveleges that the poorer aren’t.

Though this is a great idea is the prices were outrageously high, because, it’ll double as a Flezz sink.

meeeeeeeeee

[Brainfreeze]

Level 35 Troll

MeatLoafFan Posted:

Exists already. It’s called the The EndoPatch™

The EndoPatch as it stands is a useless and over expensive consumable. 5HTP is better, cheaper and faster. I thought for a while that 5HTP+Endopatch might have some advantage, but really, 5HTP+5HTP is better, since you get 50 more HP quicker.

Also I was talking about an equipable item (and therefore a background effect) The tradeoff is that it’s an item slot you can’t use for boosting other stats. So, slower forum completion, less consumables (question for the player – does that work out better when also taking into account repair costs? is the extra healing always needed?)

This is a very good idea, but keep in mind it takes awhile to code all this stuff, test it, and the community would never be satisfied. Along with that, everyone would complain that hackers would receive a huge advantage from their abnormally high offense.

As described, the effect would be independent of the offense level, so no more useful for a Hacker than any other clbum. The amount of damage would be fairly low. Just a simple way to add a little variety. Useful on some forums, but not on others.

Their are some troll attacks (+15 offense, -5 douchebaggery) that do just that. Now, again, this would be difficult to regulate, and would significantly lower the difficulty of the game.

The attack you mention is a stat boost, not a tradeoff. It’s also an attack, not an item (either consumable or equipable)

Why would it lower the game difficulty if you

a) use an item to change the stat distribution

b) can’t use that item slot for an item which boosts stats

It wouldn’t lower the difficulty directly, it would add greater flexibility for those who acquire the item (and unless it’s a consumable, equip if for specific forums where it’s useful) Again it would just be different to other items, not better or worse – such items would be balanced appropriately. A boost to offense is more valuable than any other stat, so the tradeoff would be a bigger penalty to defense or ego. If a consumable, something which boosts offense, but hurts your ego when you use it? So you’ve got a stronger attack at the expense of being significantly more vulnerable. Or you’re a tank with weaker attacks (and taking more hits, and damage to your equipment) Or you wish to move some ego into defense so attacks do less damage, but you may end up using more consumables.

– items which boost upkeep, the only stat which doesn’t appear on items. Why not?

Seems a bit unrealistic doesn’t it? An item, which makes all your other items last longer? Also, what’s going on now is creating Flezz sinks as to not give people huge advantages. This goes completely against that.

Why is an item which repairs or preserves other items for longer so outlandish? Have you heard of… oil? Or teflon? Log in to see images!

Devil is in the details. What if e.g. the item itself is too expensive to economically repair (effectively making it a different kind of consumable, which you sell at the ppwn shoppe when finished with it, or perhaps it just disintigrates)? And how is boosting upkeep any different to boosting defense (which means less attacks land a hit) except that defense offers other pwning advantages?

This is a terrible idea. Essentially, this is putting it out there that users that have been on Forumwarz longer, and have stockpiled loads of Flezz, are given special priveleges that the poorer aren’t.

Though this is a great idea is the prices were outrageously high, because, it’ll double as a Flezz sink.

It’s a terrible idea, but OK if it’s a flezz sink, and I specifically mention it being a flezz sink? lol. Any long term player is going to think carefully about spending a lot of flezz, especially if (as I hope) ET gives us some *other* good reasons to spend it. We need lots of high value reasons to spend flezz, or those older players will *always* have more flezz than you. A few broken streaks would diminish that advantage, if you’re thinking in the longer term, and you’re more careful *not* to break your streaks. If older players don’t make mistakes, they wouldn’t need such an item, and those players will always have a flezz advantage anyway.

meeeeeeeeee edited this message on 03/10/2009 8:23PM

OrsonScottCa-
rd

Avatar: 104768 2015-08-05 14:57:49 -0400

[Forumwarz Speakeasy]

Level 69 Hacker

Why do I keep coming back here

Now that we’re seeing Itembuildr, it’s becoming painfully obvious that none of these ideas are possible to implement with the system CZ has made.

Bumped for great mourning at lost opportunities.

Acid Flux

Avatar: 6767 Tue Mar 17 11:41:54 -0400 2009

[Country Kitchen an-
d Flea Market
]

Level 35 Troll

KYOUBAI IS SUPER-SERIOUS BUSINESS

OrsonScottCard Posted:

Now that we’re seeing Itembuildr, it’s becoming painfully obvious that none of these ideas are possible to implement with the system CZ has made.

Bumped for great mourning at lost opportunities.

Really? I disagree. Who’s to say that there can’t also be a ‘Submit Stats’ idea, that is voted on only by CZ themselves?

I can see a once a month submission, one per player (not per alt), and then CZ reviews them at their leisure. They can even set maximum values for the normal stats, and then have an extra text box where you can describe ‘other effects’.

-MLF-

Avatar: 83146 Sun Jan 18 18:56:12 -0500 2009

Level 60 Hacker

“Cracking Addict”

Acid Flux Posted:

Really? I disagree. Who’s to say that there can’t also be a ‘Submit Stats’ idea, that is voted on only by CZ themselves?

I can see a once a month submission, one per player (not per alt), and then CZ reviews them at their leisure. They can even set maximum values for the normal stats, and then have an extra text box where you can describe ‘other effects’.

And if you had the ability to choose your own item stats, give one reason why you wouldn’t just max them all out and submit it.

meeeeeeeeee

[Brainfreeze]

Level 35 Troll

Because everyone else would have access to the same item, and it would break the game. ET would have to put constraints on how powerful items can be. Just define an item in terms of upgrade points, and then choose a value for low, mid, high and top tier items.

e.g. +1 offense would have a value of 3, +1 frugality a value of 1, -1 offense, a value of -3

meeeeeeeeee edited this message on 03/12/2009 8:55AM
Internet Delay Chat
Have fun playing!
To chat with other players, you must Join Forumwarz or Log In now!