Buy Official Merchandise!
Forumwarz is the first "Massively Single-Player" online RPG completely built around Internet culture.

You are currently looking at Flamebate, our community forums. Players can discuss the game here, strategize, and role play as their characters.

You need to be logged in to post and to see the uncensored versions of these forums.

Role Playing
Switch to Civil Discussion Role-Playing
Gay Not being allowed to help out is very special

Shii

Avatar: 23167 2010-01-24 16:31:18 -0500

[Phantasmagoric Spl-
endor
]

Level 35 Emo Kid

I haven't seen a bad idea that I didn't like.

Seriously, a general faq and a wiki don’t go very far beyond answering just that: general questions.

People every single day who are confused about something end up coming into IDC and asking other players for help, where invariably the person gets trolled.

Yeh, they’re a newfabulous person, yeh, it’s fun to make fun of them, I get it, whatever. But the fact is that some people aren’t seasoned internet users and being randomly insulted puts them off. I wonder how many players have just stopped playing after innocent requests for an answer get met with “YOU ARE A SMELLY fine upstanding member of society.”

Not being able to make general answer threads is absolutely very special. I’m not sure when “more help” became inferior to “less help,” but forcing someone to slog through an FAQ when they just want a single, simple answer just wastes time, and forces them to attempt to get an answer in locations where they’ll just get trolled

Game Discussion is meant for discussing the game. Guess what asking questions about the game involves?

Now go ahead and troll me for giving a ****. Joke’s on you, because the only thing I really don’t give a **** about are the trolls.

Look, shock images! I’m edgy! Please remember me.

http://i43.tinypic.com/oibvrr.jpg

SIG-ENABLING MOCK-CONGLER Posted:

Shii: youre a ****ing retard-esque

Wylin

Avatar: 19712 Thu Mar 26 21:15:20 -0400 2009

[Brainfreeze]

Level 69 Troll

Causing Jealousy On The Internet On A Daily Basis.

gotta admit you’re pretty lucky not to get banned for calling them fabulous persons and stuff in Non-RP.

Shii

[Phantasmagoric Spl-
endor
]

Level 35 Emo Kid

Since when is newfabulous person and similar terms remotely banworthy? I was never under the impression the term was viewed as anything more than an affectionate nickname.

Considering I’ve never even been banned before, I think a ban would be completely out of the question.

DerKaiserRei-
ch

Avatar: 118110 Sun May 31 19:28:37 -0400 2009

[Temple of the Anth-
ropomorphic Majesty
]

Level 31 Troll

One of the few user who literally understands me -Aldo

futhermocker

Avatar: 125126 Sat Feb 28 16:36:53 -0500 2009

[Cabal Gamez]

Level 69 Troll

This user causes YOUR HEAD ASPLODE!!!

The biggest problem with an FAQ thread is that it eventually ends up being a collection of random questions THAT CANNOT BE INDEXED IN ANY WAY.

Imagine having to dig through 10 pages of questions just to find the answer you were looking for, wouldn’t that be even more annoying?

And quite honestly the Wiki is very comprehensive, and with the recent creation of the Knowledge Base, you’d have to try REALLY hard to not be able to find an answer to your question (unless it’s something super obscure, in which case the user is probably better off starting his/her own thread about it anyway).

So in essence, FAQ threads are obsolete, especially since the Knowledge Base was created pretty much for the exact same purpose.

futhermocker edited this message on 03/01/2009 12:40AM

I'M A SIG-DISABLING COCKMONGLER

Shii

[Phantasmagoric Spl-
endor
]

Level 35 Emo Kid

futhermocker Posted:

The biggest problem with an FAQ thread is that it eventually ends up being a collection of random questions THAT CANNOT BE INDEXED IN ANY WAY.

Imagine having to dig through 10 pages of questions just to find the answer you were looking for, wouldn’t that be even more annoying?

And quite honestly the Wiki is very comprehensive, and with the recent creation of the Knowledge Base, you’d have to try REALLY hard to not be able to find an answer to your question (unless it’s something super obscure, in which case the user is probably better off starting his/her own thread about it anyway).

So in essence, FAQ threads are obsolete, especially since the Knowledge Base was created pretty much for the exact same purpose.

It wasn’t meant to be an FAQ.

It was meant to be somewhere you wouldn’t be trolled, where you could ask a question and get a personal answer.

FAQs already exist. I just used the FAQ icon cuz it was the most applicable, but I never had any intention of indexing anything.

Oleg

Avatar: 98357 2011-07-31 00:47:25 -0400

[And The Banned Pla-
yed On
]

Level 18 Hacker

INVINCIBLE POSTER

OP is bumhurt unfunny fabulous person

Wylin

Avatar: 19712 Thu Mar 26 21:15:20 -0400 2009

[Brainfreeze]

Level 69 Troll

Causing Jealousy On The Internet On A Daily Basis.

Shii Posted:

Since when is newfabulous person and similar terms remotely banworthy? I was never under the impression the term was viewed as anything more than an affectionate nickname.

Considering I’ve never even been banned before, I think a ban would be completely out of the question.

I’m pretty sure calling someone a fabulous person, wether they are new or old, is pretty derogatory and callling people names and such in GD is grounds for warnings/banishment. You’re right that you probably wouldn’t have gotten banned if it’s your first time but you still probably deserved a warning at minimum.

Shii

[Phantasmagoric Spl-
endor
]

Level 35 Emo Kid

Oleg Mordashov Posted:

OP is bumhurt unfunny fabulous person

You had it right the first time with the bumhurt. Having good intentions thrown in your face doesn’t sit well.

Shii

[Phantasmagoric Spl-
endor
]

Level 35 Emo Kid

Wylin Posted:

I’m pretty sure calling someone a fabulous person, wether they are new or old, is pretty derogatory and callling people names and such in GD is grounds for warnings/banishment. You’re right that you probably wouldn’t have gotten banned if it’s your first time but you still probably deserved a warning at minimum.

Well, I didn’t, and I’d say I’d be more careful in the future, if I ever really expected to post anything in Games Discussion again.

Oleg

Avatar: 98357 2011-07-31 00:47:25 -0400

[And The Banned Pla-
yed On
]

Level 18 Hacker

INVINCIBLE POSTER

OP is bumhurt

scully

Avatar: 12797 2015-07-20 16:59:13 -0400

[Good Omens]

Level 69 Camwhore

I really do talk ****!

Sweetie pie. Sugar plum. No one said anything about not appreciating your desire to help out the newfabulous persons. I think that is awesome.

However, you are certainly not the first person to help others, and none of them are allowed to become the answer guru in GD either.

I hope you will continue to help out the newfabulous persons even if it doesn’t specifically boost your Flamebate score.

*spanks*

Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted. Log in to see images!

Shii

[Phantasmagoric Spl-
endor
]

Level 35 Emo Kid

Sweet lips. Honey dumplin’.

I’m not bumhurt at you, I just think it’s a dumb rule.

And I haven’t whined about anything today; I have a quota.

futhermocker

[Cabal Gamez]

Level 69 Troll

Doesn’t matter if the thread was supposed to be an FAQ or not.

If the thread was intended to concentrate all the questions new users would have, well then like I said the wiki and Knowledge Base would more than likely have their answers already. Plus explaining to them why visits are limited to 4 10 times in the same thread isn’t exactly productive. And as the thread grows, it’s just going to get messier and uglier, with lots of repeated questions, and the response time would slow down as well since people would have to dig through 10+ pages of questions first.

If it’s for obscure questions, they’re better off starting a new thread anyway.

Basically, people who are too bothered to read won’t read and will just keep making new topics whenever they have a question, even if the exact same question is in blaring BOLD CAPS on the first page, so your thread won’t help much. On the other hand, people who do read before posting will realize most of their answers can be found in the wiki or the Knowledge Base or even answered previously on Flamebate, so again your thread is not necessary.

Shii

[Phantasmagoric Spl-
endor
]

Level 35 Emo Kid

futhermocker Posted:

Basically, people who are too bothered to read won’t read and will just keep making new topics whenever they have a question, even if the exact same question is in blaring BOLD CAPS on the first page, so your thread won’t help much. On the other hand, people who do read before posting will realize most of their answers can be found in the wiki or the Knowledge Base or even answered previously on Flamebate, so again your thread is not necessary.

That’s actually a p good point. I shouldn’t underestimate the lack of literacy expressed in newfabulous person populations.

futhermocker

[Cabal Gamez]

Level 69 Troll

Your gesture is certainly appreciated and I believe you mean well, but you do realize whatever you quoted in my last post is how the internet works these days, and so it makes things like help threads utterly pointless.

Shii

[Phantasmagoric Spl-
endor
]

Level 35 Emo Kid

Ok, enough with the “trying to console my bruised feelings” like I’m 4. I’m whining about a rule, now about myself. Enough with the patronizing already.

Shii edited this message on 03/01/2009 1:02AM

futhermocker

[Cabal Gamez]

Level 69 Troll

It was not meant to be a patronizing post.

Shii

[Phantasmagoric Spl-
endor
]

Level 35 Emo Kid

futhermocker Posted:

It was not meant to be a patronizing post.

That wasn’t specifically aimed at you lol.

EDIT: Hmm, although only quoting you certainly made it appear that way.

Mah bad. Lol.

Shii edited this message on 03/01/2009 1:02AM

DrNo

Level 11 Permanoob

“PERMANOOB”

I understand the conversation has already progressed past some of these but figured I’d throw in my 2Log in to see images! anyway.

Shii Posted:

Seriously, a general faq and a wiki don’t go very far beyond answering just that: general questions.

I have yet to find a question I’ve had about the game that the Wiki didn’t answer.

Shii Posted:

People every single day who are confused about something end up coming into IDC and asking other players for help, where invariably the person gets trolled.

Yeh, they’re a newfabulous person, yeh, it’s fun to make fun of them, I get it, whatever. But the fact is that some people aren’t seasoned internet users and being randomly insulted puts them off. I wonder how many players have just stopped playing after innocent requests for an answer get met with “YOU ARE A SMELLY fine upstanding member of society.”

The entire site follows the general trend of being very vulgar and very offensive. If you can’t take the words of abuse from other members now you probably won’t be able to later, this site isn’t geared toward your demographic.

Not only that though, basically every thread I’ve seen in the games forum has been answered in a mature (in the good sense) and decent way (though many were answered by Wylin.) I’ve seen no thread where the answer was simply an insult thrown at the original poster.

Shii Posted:

Not being able to make general answer threads is absolutely very special. I’m not sure when “more help” became inferior to “less help,” but forcing someone to slog through an FAQ when they just want a single, simple answer just wastes time, and forces them to attempt to get an answer in locations where they’ll just get trolled

Again, I haven’t seen much trolling when someone asks a question. The wiki answers pretty much all questions and is organized well. Any general answers thread would force someone to slog through a ton more information to find their answers. The reason being that a thread is limited in how well it can be organized; the wiki doesn’t have signatures, duplicate questions, multiple answers, or mini-discussions.

Also if your argument is that the community can’t answer people’s (or as you refer to them, newfabulous persons) questions why would this change anything. As is the games forum is basically a big place to ask questions, condensing it all into one thread wouldn’t help at all.

Shii Posted:

Game Discussion is meant for discussing the game. Guess what asking questions about the game involves?

Now go ahead and troll me for giving a ****. Joke’s on you, because the only thing I really don’t give a **** about are the trolls.

People do ask questions in that forum, which is why it works as is. We don’t need a big thread for it.

I’m honestly not sure if this is a troll itself so far.

Shii Posted:

Affectionate nickname would be something like “honeybear” or “sweetie.” Something you might say to a friend, relative, or (dare I say it?) spouse. Calling someone a newfabulous person is a demeaning term, such as calling someone maggot. I find it somewhat ironic that you talk (type whatever) as if you’re acting on behalf of the new people to the forum when in actuality you’re just perpetrating the hate on people who are new to the community.

futhermocker Posted:

I completely agree.

Internet Delay Chat
Have fun playing!
To chat with other players, you must Join Forumwarz or Log In now!