Buy Official Merchandise!
Forumwarz is the first "Massively Single-Player" online RPG completely built around Internet culture.

You are currently looking at Flamebate, our community forums. Players can discuss the game here, strategize, and role play as their characters.

You need to be logged in to post and to see the uncensored versions of these forums.

Civil Discussion
Switch to Role-Playing Civil Discussion
Web Games Very Rare Files, Abuse, and Evil Trout to the rescue.

Possibly a C-
abbage

Avatar: 76887 Fri Oct 24 03:39:44 -0400 2008

[Leafy Green Vegeta-
bles
]

Level 35 Hacker

Herbaceous, biennial, dicotyledonous , and flowering.

I was the high bidder on this auction: http://www.forumwarz.com/auctions/show/81519-tom-cruise-in-actual-closet-8211-night-vision-pic-ogle

It is for a scandalously rare file, that at least three people were willing to part with millions of flezz for. I don’t believe anything in this auction was abusive, I just wanted that file and I was willing to pay what it took to get it.

Now, the suggested procedure for this is “submit a bug report”, and ET will fix it. But I’ve done this a couple of times: Once, when I was the seller I got my flezz from the auction closed for abuse, and once when I was the buyer guilty of “Bidding too much” I didn’t get any response at all (it’s been over a week.) The one time I did get a response, I made a thread about it here and Banhammer said he would bump it along up to the top. The other time, I made no thread and nothing ever came of the report.

Is there a better way to ensure that these “erroneously closed for abuse” auctions, than complaining about them on the forums in order that a moderator reads the read, and agrees to forward your bug report to ET? If there’s not, consider this “that thread that says: “Dear Moderator, I really want my Tom Cruise file and I’m more than willing to pay 2.8m flezz or whatever the winning bid ended up being.”

Alternatively, can we just make the abuse filter a little less draconic? I’m often afraid to bid what I’m willing to pay for certain files that are rarely on kyoubai, for fear of having my flezz confiscated and getting nothing back.

I don’t believe the abuse filter is working correctly. This isn’t people bidding tons and tons of flezz for a birdhouse or a marble, this is people bidding for a file that they have no way of obtaining for themselves short of kyoubai, and there are very few of them in the wild.

tl;dr: I am partially blinded with rage, I would like my Tom Cruise file.

Possibly a Cabbage edited this message on 02/27/2009 9:52PM

Big Brother

Avatar: 45759 Fri Oct 17 23:44:23 -0400 2008

Level 66 Troll

woman's genitals

I have an idea for a replacement for the abuse filter.

Give every flezz a serial number. If anyone owns a flezz with a serial number, mark it with their name. Make it so that you cannot do anything that would put two alts on the same serial number.

There, now no abuse by proxy.

And as for the “oh noes theill make illegal alts” issue, they would get banned for illegal alts anyway, even without abuse.

Shii

Avatar: 23167 2010-01-24 16:31:18 -0500

[Phantasmagoric Spl-
endor
]

Level 35 Emo Kid

I haven't seen a bad idea that I didn't like.

Big Brother Posted:

Give every flezz a serial number. If anyone owns a flezz with a serial number, mark it with their name. Make it so that you cannot do anything that would put two alts on the same serial number.

And as for the “oh noes theill make illegal alts” issue, they would get banned for illegal alts anyway, even without abuse.

...what?

TBW

Avatar: 122535 Sat Jun 06 13:52:16 -0400 2009

Level 26 Emo Kid

“Lopsided McHaircut”

The mods are trolling you. They stole PayPal’s customer management system and have employed it for maximum damage.

Kilroy

Avatar: 62524 Fri Dec 26 00:25:59 -0500 2008

Level 35 Emo Kid

“Cutty Cutterson”

I personally think that abuse should be either drastically lessened or simply removed in general.

Possibly a Cabbage Posted:

tl;dr: I am partially blinded with rage, I would like my Tom Cruise file.

Near sighted or far sighted? Log in to see images!

Jarwain

[Country Kitchen an-
d Flea Market
]

Level 13 Emo Kid

“Gloomy Gus”

Big Brother Posted:

huh???

this wouldn’t work cause if each flezz has a serial number and you mark it, then if you sell something and get someone elses flezz, then two names would be marked. that wouldn’t prevent the abuse, because what if it is a legal transaction. there would be two marks, and thus not workingness.

GGH

Avatar: 105218 Tue Feb 17 15:32:24 -0500 2009

Level 35 Troll

“Problem Child IV”

Big Brother Posted:

I’m sorry, what?

CrinkzPipe

Avatar: 35643 2015-02-20 21:59:22 -0500

[Harem and Sushi Bar]

Level 62 Emo Kid

Hi, I'm an adult whos into bumes. But not boners!

Big Brother Posted:

And as for the “oh noes they’ll make illegal alts” issue, they would get banned for illegal alts anyway, even without abuse.

If anyone fines the following words trollsy I’m sorry.

That makes NO ****ING SENSE. The problem is with amounts, putting codes on flezz would only take time, and maybe even kill the servers. And where the hell are you getting proxy from?

Thiefree

Avatar: 60455 Sun Feb 15 19:29:37 -0500 2009

[Grey Goose Mafiosi]

Level 35 Camwhore

“Legs Wide Open”

Yeah, that’s not really a workable solution. I think the original idea – a less draconian (or at least a more context-sensitive) thingummy. And maybe faster responses when these complaints are filed?

Possibly a C-
abbage

[Leafy Green Vegeta-
bles
]

Level 35 Hacker

Realistically, a better way to fix the abuse filter is have it track how many instances of a .moar file (not junk, or NPC shop items) is to track how often a file is auctioned on kyoubai. If there are no instances of a file on kyoubai at any point in the last two weeks (for example), it should be able to be sold for any price whatsoever. If there are, say, ten instances of the file in the last two weeks, it shouldn’t be sellable for more than, say 200% of the median price over the last two weeks.

Or something like that.

It’s terribly frustrating to have one of the rarest files in the game confiscated for abuse when the auction only went for a couple of million flezz, which is just a couple of weeks worth of deliveries.

Edit: Also, if a moderator is reading this. I’d really like that file. Possibly that fact is already illustrated that I bid more than other people in this auction, but sometimes repetition is not entirely unreasonable.

Possibly a Cabbage edited this message on 02/27/2009 10:13PM

CrinkzPipe

Avatar: 35643 2015-02-20 21:59:22 -0500

[Harem and Sushi Bar]

Level 62 Emo Kid

Hi, I'm an adult whos into bumes. But not boners!

Another suggestion. Keep Junk items off Kyoubai. And have ET actually look through the game to see how rare files are. Then take a day or two to mark items for how much flezz would be abuseing it. Files like Pink Floyd would have no limit, same for the Falcon Plaque.

Big Brother

Level 66 Troll

woman's genitals

Yeah junk items are the only real abused thing.

It may not even be that bad to also keep Episode 1 Clbum equipment off too, since anyone who would need it can get it.

Possibly a C-
abbage

[Leafy Green Vegeta-
bles
]

Level 35 Hacker

I wonder if it’s possible that just nobody reads this forum, which is plausible since it’s all ads. I can’t be the only person who’s been caught by the “abuse filter” multiple times without doing anything wrong, can I be?

Phariad

Avatar: 129763 Mon Jun 15 22:35:47 -0400 2009

[Temple of the Anth-
ropomorphic Majesty
]

Level 43 Troll

“Banned Camper”

Big Brother Posted:

Um…Hate to break it to you, but you can’t bid on your alts auctions. And illegal alts are difficult to trace, and many exceptions exist.

BarneynPenorz

Level 47 Troll

“Complete Dipshit”

Possibly a Cabbage Posted:

I wonder if it’s possible that just nobody reads this forum, which is plausible since it’s all ads. I can’t be the only person who’s been caught by the “abuse filter” multiple times without doing anything wrong, can I be?

I hope you get the file back, because srsly, if I had more than what you have right now, I would’ve bidded higher just to get it. This’ll need a fix sooner or later.

guest42

[Bargain Drug Wareh-
ouse
]

Level 69 Permanoob

“Permanoob”

Apparently, according to ET, things that have sold very few, or zero, times before have no guidelines for what is an acceptable sale price, so they seem to always get flagged for abuse.

Personally, I think ET could resolve this by looking at all items without enough results, determining how many sales each of them will need to have an acceptable guideline for the abuse checker, and then put that many up for sale himself, pre-marking the auctions as non-abuse (if his auctions even get checked).

scully

Avatar: 12797 2015-07-20 16:59:13 -0400

[Good Omens]

Level 69 Camwhore

I really do talk ****!

I am not heavily in the bug loop, but I will say:

– Submit a bug report. They all go to the same place, your report doesn’t just mysteriously disappear.

– Give relevant details. Auction link is a great thing to include. Details about why the file is worth that much is good as well. (Ex: +7 offense make it a top of the line file. Only drops on RotM, makes it instantly rare.)

– Hang in there. There are a lot of reports. Like seriously a lot and it takes a certain amount of time to go through them, that is all there is to it.

I’ve had that happen to my auctions, too, and I know it is frustrating. It will in fact be seen less and less as we see files auctioned. 1 week ago I put up a Blood Spatter and it got flagged, by this week when I put one up the system had enough data to know that there wasn’t a problem – even though the file went for more than the first one.

Big Brother

Level 66 Troll

woman's genitals

With all this junk happening I’m inclined to say…

GET RID OF THE ****ING ABUSE FILTER.

Amasius

Avatar: 21158 2015-06-13 23:07:57 -0400

[Brainfreeze]

Level 69 Troll

OMFG! It is MY bum!

Looks like I was lucky…

I really don’t understand why this isn’t fixed quick, it bet that would lessen the amount of bugreports considerably.

Possibly a C-
abbage

[Leafy Green Vegeta-
bles
]

Level 35 Hacker

scullyangel Posted:

I’ve had that happen to my auctions, too, and I know it is frustrating. It will in fact be seen less and less as we see files auctioned. 1 week ago I put up a Blood Spatter and it got flagged, by this week when I put one up the system had enough data to know that there wasn’t a problem – even though the file went for more than the first one.

Wouldn’t it make more sense for the system to never flag an auction for abuse if it only is aware of one or two other times its been auctioned, and have the abuse filter not kick in until there’s a quorum of data acquired? I mean, what’s more likely “A rare file is listed on Kyoubai, I bet collectors will all want to get it and it will command a high price” or “I suspect this file has not been auctioned off before, so I will use it in a fiendish scheme to transfer flezz and hope that collectors simply do not notice it.”?

The abuse filter may not need to go away, but it should probably work differently. I wonder what percentage of auctions flagged as abuse actually are a clear cut, or apparent, case of abuse. I mean, if you have five people with IPs in 4 states and 1 Canadian province bidding on an item, no matter how much it ends up selling for, there’s probably no actual abuse going on.

Would it save time to just file a bug report before the auction even closes? For example “This is the only time the Duke Nukem file has ever been listed on Kyoubai, and it only drops in PP:RotM which is no longer available to me. I am going to bid tends of millions of flezz on it, because I’m rich and I want to win. When you close this auction for abuse, please refer to this message, and undo that.”?

Internet Delay Chat
Have fun playing!
To chat with other players, you must Join Forumwarz or Log In now!