Buy Official Merchandise!
Forumwarz is the first "Massively Single-Player" online RPG completely built around Internet culture.

You are currently looking at Flamebate, our community forums. Players can discuss the game here, strategize, and role play as their characters.

You need to be logged in to post and to see the uncensored versions of these forums.

Civil Discussion
Switch to Role-Playing Civil Discussion
Politics Advil0's Guide to the California Propositions!

advil0

Level 35 Troll

“Problem Child IV”

If you are a California voter, you should read this! Obviously I have a bit of a bias here, but I did my best to give you enough information to decide what propositions you want to vote for.

========

Proposition 1 – THE BULLET TRAIN

This is a 10 billion dollar (bonds) project to build a bullet train spanning the state of California, to provide Californians with cheap transport between the state’s major cities.

Pros:

-It’s a ****en bullet train!

Cons:

-Redundant – Amtrak and Metrolink already thoroughly connect the cities, and are very affordable.

-No accountability – the project could be abandoned partway through, leaving us 5 billion dollars in the hole and without a bullet train.

-We don’t have 10 billion dollars to spare. Bonds are just dodging the issue, because taxpayers will be eating the cost of this thing for years to come.

Advil0 is voting NO because spending 10 billion dollars on something we already have seems like a bad idea.

Proposition 2 – BE NICE TO ANIMALS

This is a proposition that requires calves raised for veal, egg-laying hens, and pregnant pigs to be confined in a space no smaller that would permit them to sit, lie, and move all limbs freely. The farm companies who would be restricted by this proposition claim that the proposition would force all hens to go outside for part of the day, thereby giving them bird flu and killing everyone in the state of California (seriously, it’s in the voter pamphlet). However, scientists say that is not actually true.

Pros:

-Hurts animals less (if that’s your thing).

-Make California more ethical than other states, so we can look down on them.

Cons:

-Some companies would have to restructure their ****s, which would cost them money.

Advil0 is voting YES because he likes animals.

Proposition 3 – CHILDREN’S HOSPITALS BUT NOT REALLY

This proposition is, at first glance, an attempt to get money for Children’s Hospitals. However, upon closer examination we find there’s not really any accountability involved, and that the money might not even go to children’s hospitals at all. This is a money grab by medical organizations, using “children” as emotional blackmail in order to cirgreat timesvent the normal legal processes.

Pros:

-More money for hospitals, maybe.

-Think of the children!

Cons:

-No accountability.

-They lied about it going to children, so they could be lying about it going to hospitals too.

-California has no money.

Advil0 is voting NO on GP because I don’t like people trying to trick me

Proposition 4 – PARENTAL NOTIFICATION & WAITING PERIOD FOR ABORTIONS

This requires a waiting period for abortions, and parental notification if a minor is seeking an abortion as well. As you probably know already, there is a major concern that in some families, telling the parents could jeapordize the well-being of the girl in question. On the other hand, abortion is one of the few medical procedures that minors CAN get without their parents’ knowledge. It’s a thorny issue.

It’s also worth noting that the “waiting period” included in this legislation is a measure included for the sake of anti-abortion folks. The only reason to require something like this is to allow people time to try and convince girls not to get abortions. Which is arguably not a bad thing, but the disingenuous way in which it was slipped in here bothers me slightly.

Pros:

-Kids can’t get 100 abortions behind their parents’ back.

-Waiting period (if that’s your thing).

-District Attorneys are in favor.

-Author of “Megan’s Law” is in favor.

Cons:

-Kids are poorly protected from the possibility of parental abuse—there are provisions, but they are very bureaucratic and potentially ineffective.

-Waiting period (if that’s not your thing).

-Pediatricians are opposed.

-School counselors are opposed.

Advil0 is voting NO, largely based on the parties in favor and against.

Proposition 5 – LET THE DRUGGIES OUT

This proposition reduces sentences for non-violent drug offenses, and moves them into drug rehab. To people who have been opposed to the war on drugs, this is a step in that direction. However, questions are raised. Some police say this will allow violent criminals to blame their actions on drugs and get out of jail (although the legislation doesn’t appear to back this up). Also, drug rehab is of debatable effectiveness.

Pros:

-State judges will be closely involved with the process—it won’t be a free pbum to hundreds of criminals.

-Non-violent offenders punished less severely.

-Smoke weed everyday

Cons:

-Potential for some abuse.

-Drug rehab might not work.

Advil0 is voting YES because even if it doesn’t work, it’d be better not to have given up on these people before we even tried.

Proposition 6 – GIVE THE POLICE A MILLION DOLLARS

This proposition is fairly simple: more money for the police. Most importantly, it requires 1% of the annual state budget to be automatically allocated to law enforcement. This is a very controversial request, because is means that the police will henceforth be beyond the reach of state legislators when drawing up the budget. Special interest groups are always trying to get this kind of immunity to cuts, the police being one of them.

Pros:

-Police get more money.

Cons:

-Police given immunity from annual budget discussions, and with money as tight as it is you have to REALLY like the police to support this.

Advil0 is voting NO because he doesn’t like the police that much.

Proposition 7 – STRICTER CLEAN ENERGY POLICY

This proposition allegedly raises standards for power providers, requiring more of their energy to come from renewable sources AND capping the prices for which they can sell them. The stated goal is to increase energy independence and probably save the environment. HOWEVER, nearly all reputable environmental organizations say the bill is poorly put together and would hurt both the power companies and the clean-energy movement. The Prop 7 proponents respond by claiming that it’s all a giant conspiracy, and that everyone was paid large sums of money to denounce the bill.

Pros:

-Might be a good idea (if it is, there is a mbumive conspiracy to make it look like a bad idea).

Cons:

-Probably isn’t a good idea. Both power companies and the Sierra Club are opposed to this.

Advil0 is voting NO because he is not a conspiracy theorist.

Proposition 8 – NO HOMO MARRIAGES

This is the famous one. You probably already know about it. Prop 8 bans gays from getting married, and limits them to civil unions (which are similar, but involve fighting through bureaucracy in order to get the same rights that married couples have by default).

Pros:

-The gays can’t get married (if that isn’t your thing).

Cons:

-The gays can’t get married (if that is your thing).

Advil0 is voting NO because gays are cool.

Proposition 9 – VICTIM’S RIGHTS

Prop 9 frames itself as a victim’s rights initiative. The idea is that victims will be more involved in the parole process, will be notified when prisoners are released on bail, etc. Those in favor are victim’s advocacy lobbies. Those against are pretty much the entire California justice system, who say it creates a LOT of duplication of existing laws, and would be largely ineffective. I was initially in favor of this proposition, but after further reading it seems badly put together.

Pros:

-More rights for victims, victims have opportunity for revenge at parole hearings.

Cons:

-Incredible amount of duplication of laws, creates mbumive amounts of bureaucracy.

Advil0 is voting NO because this is crappy bill. If this were rewritten and streamlined I would probably support it.

Proposition 10 – FINANCING CLEAN ENERGY

Prop 10 is the laughingstock of the California propositions. It masquerades as an environmental bill, but largely involves sending lots of taxpayer money to natural gas tycoons, who financed the proposition in the first place. No reputable environmental organizations support it, although there are a number of sock-puppets endorsing it. Do not be fooled.

Pros:

-Sounds nice.

Cons:

-Isn’t.

Advil0 is voting NO.

Proposition 11 – SOME KIND OF REDISTRICTING THING

I don’t understand this proposition. It’s about redistricting I guess. But reading through the arguments it looks like a number of politicians who are notorious for fighting reform are opposing this bill, and forming fake voter advocacy groups to oppose it. So it’s probably a good idea.

Pros:

-Supported by voter advocacy groups.

-Opposed by corrupt politicians.

Cons:

-Opposed by corrupt politicians.

Advil0 is voting YES because if the people I don’t like hate this bill that much it must be a good idea.

========

There you go! I don’t care if you disagree with me about these, go vote you losers!

advil0 edited this message on 11/02/2008 7:49PM

Misread title as “California Prostitution”. Left disappointed.

FalconFour

Avatar: 69421 Wed Aug 12 05:13:59 -0400 2009

Level 35 Troll

Minty Fresh

This is quite handy. I guess while I’m at the polls I may as well vote on everything else as well, and it would help to not learn about them while putting in my votes (that is, better to learn ahead of time).

I’ve been against 8 as long as I’ve known what it was about… I saw a guy waving “Yes on 8! McCain/Palin!” on a street corner while driving home today and I wanted to run him over. Or something. But he wouldn’t get the message through his fat ****ing head, so I just drove on by, cursing whining and ****ing.

The rest of those, definitely worth a read. Many thanks for actually writing it all up. Log in to see images!

Balloon

[Grey Goose Mafiosi]

Level 35 Camwhore

Inflate my ovaries until they pop out of me and float away

Put a wig on him.

“You gotta purdy lips.”

BirdofPrey

Avatar: 2037 Sun May 10 02:46:48 -0400 2009

[Team Shortbus]

Level 10 Troll

I lick her up afterwards (After her great times session too! Yum!)

fyi anyone voting yes on prop 8 is a reprehensible piece of ****.

advil0

Level 35 Troll

“Problem Child IV”

BirdofPrey Posted:

fyi anyone voting yes on prop 8 is a reprehensible piece of ****.

Agree’d so much.

chibitrochan

Level 16 Hacker

“Packet Sniffer ”

advil0 Posted:

Agree’d so much.

Then what’s with the yes on 8 banners on this site…? What are the people who run this site trying to say…?

Internet Delay Chat
Have fun playing!
To chat with other players, you must Join Forumwarz or Log In now!