Check out our blog!
Forumwarz is the first "Massively Single-Player" online RPG completely built around Internet culture.

You are currently looking at Flamebate, our community forums. Players can discuss the game here, strategize, and role play as their characters.

You need to be logged in to post and to see the uncensored versions of these forums.

Civil Discussion
Switch to Role-Playing Civil Discussion
Business Google Chrome Benchmark and Review

CreepPipe

Avatar: 4204 2010-01-24 16:18:28 -0500

[Grey Goose Mafiosi]

Level 69 Troll

MOOOOOS ARE BELOW ME

(For those who don’t like reading just go to the TL;DR version at the bottom of this post)

There’s already been a thread about Google Chrome which can be found here. However, when reading up on Google Chrome much of what I read boasted that it has the fastest JavaScript and Ajax request and processing time. Since Forumwarz uses a lot of Ajax I thought perhaps using the browser might give me an edge on aspects of the game such as speedruns. So I did what any other nerd would do and ran some benchmarks.

The two tests I ran were the SunSpider JavaScript Benchmark and the Ajax and Flex Data Loading Benchmark. And was pretty surprised with the results that I got. I could post the boring graphs and printouts of the tests but most people wouldn’t know what they’re reading anyhow.

So just to summarize my research Firefox 3.01 is the second fastest browser I tested. Google Chrome beat Firefox 3.01 on SunSpider by nearly 4000 ms (4 seconds) and about 5 to 6 seconds on each of the Ajax and Flex tests. So now by the statistics I have here are the fastest browers (for Ajax heavy sites) in order:

1. Google Chrome (+5s) 
2. Firefox 3.01 (0)
3. Firefox 3.1a1 (-1s)
4. Opera 9.5 (-6s)

I used Firefox 3.01 as the base of my tests and to my surprise on it’s first day Google Chrome out benchmarks anything currently available for Windows. And even more surprising to me on it’s first day the application seems to be fairly stable and uses less memory than any of the other 3 browsers I tested.

However benchmarks are only benchmarks and when it comes right down to it statistics when it comes to browsers never really reflect real world usage. So to further my tests I took both Firefox 3.01 and Google Chrome and actually used most aspects of Forumwarz (battles, sTalk, IDC, etc) to see how noticeable of a difference there was.

Sadly if you’re looking for an edge on speedruns you’re not going to get much help. Despite Google Chromes excellent support of AJAX on the backend it’s support for everything on the frontend is still like WebKit (the Safari rendering engine it is built on). For those who have used Safari on either OS X or Windows may have notice that the animations you see when in battle, opening sTalk and resizing IDC and whatnot are not as smooth as Firefox.

TL;DR version: Google Chrome is a solid browser which it’s speed on several tests prove to be faster that Firefox 3.01 while using less memory. However, when it comes to real world usage they are pretty much on the same level. You’ll likely see no dramatic changes in your speedrun times and those who use a lot of extensions in Firefox will start to miss them right away. It has potential to be great though.

arbitrayer

Level 18 Troll

“Li'l Hellraiser”

you forgot to include internet explorer

CreepPipe

[Grey Goose Mafiosi]

Level 69 Troll

MOOOOOS ARE BELOW ME

arbitrayer Posted:

you forgot to include internet explorer

If I remember correctly, IE is actually not supported by Forumwarz and if it is, it would be a version that I don’t have installed. I generally stay away from IE period.

Aldo_Anything

Avatar: 32555 2014-07-18 11:39:53 -0400

[Brainfreeze]

Level 69 Troll

male reproductive organMEISTER

randy savage sez: oooh yeeeah

meeeeeeeeee

Avatar: 15443 2010-04-04 18:27:25 -0400

[Brainfreeze]

Level 35 Troll

Sneakily vicious and filled with virtuous pit bulls.

CreepPipe Posted:

If I remember correctly, IE is actually not supported by Forumwarz and if it is, it would be a version that I don’t have installed. I generally stay away from IE period.

IE7 works though it’s a little bit ****ty, and IE8 probably works too.

AAHZ

Avatar: 4016 2013-08-02 05:07:06 -0400

[Forumwarz Active P-
layers
]

Level 69 Troll

SAGAMI -WUZ- HERE

the stupid Flash bug affects this browser as well.

Im about to give up, and just watch YouTube from Youtube and stop embedding altoghether, on any site. For some reason its too difficult for browsers to deal with on a large scale.

otherwise this is my new browser.

Fran

Avatar: 34789 2015-08-06 21:23:09 -0400

[A Beautiful Place -
Out in the Country
]

Level 62 Camwhore

I wonder who is the bumbling idiot that still has fake currency on this website and actually spends

I use a lot of Mozilla addons (not only FW ones), so I’m not changing to Chrome for now, but it’s really quicker and nicer overall.

Once they support mozilla addons… bai firefox.

prophet_spid-
er

[Sons Of Anarchy]

Level 4 Emo Kid

“Emotionally Stable”

I think it’s gay.

The ****ed with the scrolling thing, the skins suck balls, and it didn’t properly import my form data etc…

Google can google mah cawk.

Bling Fling

Level 35 Camwhore

“Legs Wide Open”

Pwning forums is slightly slower so far and looks like ****. For the rest it’s pretty cool, I’m currently switching back and forth.

CreepPipe

[Grey Goose Mafiosi]

Level 69 Troll

MOOOOOS ARE BELOW ME

prophet_spider Posted:

I think it’s gay.

The ****ed with the scrolling thing, the skins suck balls, and it didn’t properly import my form data etc…

Google can google mah cawk.

I do agree as far as looking at it, it’s not much to look at. And it’s not as robust of a browser as people are used to but I think that’s one of the things I like about it. Minimalism.

Bling Fling Posted:

Pwning forums is slightly slower so far and looks like ****. For the rest it’s pretty cool, I’m currently switching back and forth.

I was actually able to pwn forums slightly quicker using Chrome than in Firefox, perhaps if I disabled some addons in Firefox they’d be about the same.

Wylin

Avatar: 19712 Thu Mar 26 21:15:20 -0400 2009

[Brainfreeze]

Level 69 Troll

Causing Jealousy On The Internet On A Daily Basis.

Fran Posted:

Once they support mozilla addons… bai firefox.

Is it possible for them to make it have the ability to run greasemonkey scripts or is greasemonkey not able to be ported even if google would allow it?

arbitrayer

Level 18 Troll

“Li'l Hellraiser”

CreepPipe Posted:

i have never used firefox or opera once while playing forumwarz, only IE.

also i am using chrome now and spell check is awkward

nevkick

Avatar: 16052 Thu Dec 04 03:36:13 -0500 2008

[Brainfreeze]

Level 35 Troll

Supports nuclear holocaust in the form of clan love.

I look forward to trying this with my Macbook.

CreepPipe

[Grey Goose Mafiosi]

Level 69 Troll

MOOOOOS ARE BELOW ME

nevkick Posted:

I look forward to trying this with my Macbook.

If you’re good with command lines you can actually get the source and compile it for Leopard. I haven’t tried it on OS X yet but plan to in the next few days. If you want to try it on OS X I suggest reading up on http://code.google.com/chromium/

quangntenemy

Avatar: 14557 2011-10-31 11:07:55 -0400

[WeChall]

Level 69 Troll

:ronpaul: :****ing sucks:

Chrome sucks. And it’s still not working for anything other than Winblowz yet.

MC Banhammer

Avatar: 1887 2011-07-31 00:40:59 -0400

[Good Omens]

Level 69 Troll

Trying to create drama to drum up the ratings by any means necessary!

Installed it. Told it to import my Firefox bookmarks. It didn’t. I can’t even find bookmarks in it anywhere. When I was poking around trying to find ANYTHING to do on it, settings-wise, it crashed.

Gonna stick with Firefox for a while.

Shishi

Level 69 Troll

“Human Yeast Infection”

Kudos for testing!

I found it slower for me, trying it today for general stuff. Usually use FF3.

It gave me a hard time trying to get on ForumWarz as it said it was a security risk. So I got back on Firefox.

I do love the look though. So much nicer to have all the extra space used for the webpage instead of deadspace.

Right about Greasemonkey, though, too addicted to Mr Script to play Kol in Chrome.

AAHZ

Avatar: 4016 2013-08-02 05:07:06 -0400

[Forumwarz Active P-
layers
]

Level 69 Troll

SAGAMI -WUZ- HERE

i dont understand all these problems yall are having lol

Banhammer: when you open a new tab, you will automatically go to a personalized page with a bookmarks tab on the right.

Shishi: I have had no error or security warnings about FW, but you DO need to relog in to websites again.

also chrome uses about 1/8th of the memory gigantic and clunky FireFox uses.

banana

[I Liek Mudkipz]

Level 10 Troll

“Pain in the ASCII”

TJF588

[URTJF2]

Level 63 Troll

“Flame Retarded”

Since the topic of browsers has come up, I’ll ask it here: I’m tryin’ to do this INCIT biznizz, and it seems I need to get IDC working to do so, but it doesn’t work in either Opera or IE. Which all browsers does it support? Am I doin’ it wrong?

Disregard that, male reproductive organs suck me. Still, how does INCIT voting work?

TJF588 edited this message on 09/05/2008 4:54AM
Internet Delay Chat
Have fun playing!
To chat with other players, you must Join Forumwarz or Log In now!