Buy Brownie Points
Forumwarz is the first "Massively Single-Player" online RPG completely built around Internet culture.

You are currently looking at Flamebate, our community forums. Players can discuss the game here, strategize, and role play as their characters.

You need to be logged in to post and to see the uncensored versions of these forums.

Civil Discussion
Switch to Role-Playing Civil Discussion
Gay Fallout 3, the fans, and a community worse than forumwarz.

King Krimson

[Snobby McSnobbers-
ons
]

Level 69 Troll

A lot fo kewl boiz wer it ok!

If you’ll forgive me, I’m going to post a link to Something Awful, simply because it’s the easiest way to get my point across. You can find the article in question here.

What the hell is wrong with these people? Okay, Bethesda made Oblivion, which some see as a crime against humanity; but from what I’ve seen of Fallout 3, It looks to incorporate elements to please the old fans, while at the same time being shiny enough to appeal to new fans.

The community, I think, is being way, way too ****y. The way I look at it, they’d only be happy if Fallout 1 was re-released with a new storyline and quests, and even then they’d complain that it wasn’t true to the setting, or the game play was unrecognisable, or the graphics weren’t isometric enough.

I like Fallout. I also like Oblivion. So far, the only things Fallout 3 seems to take from Oblivion is the humongous open world and a revised version of the radiant AI.

In short, I really can’t see why the fans can’t just accept the game. It’s made by a different developer, yes, but in the blogs they’ve made clear that they really appreciate the games and the setting, and they’re trying their hardest to realise that in a game both old fans and newcomers can enjoy. Problem is, if you left the community alone with the developers at Bethesda, the result would be a orgy of violence that would put the ‘bloody mess’ trait to shame.

I may have just started a ****-storm, and I have no doubt someone is going to call me out, but nevertheless; discuss.

King Krimson edited this message on 07/21/2008 6:58AM

xXxJUNEGUY1x-
Xx

Level 35 Emo Kid

“Cutty Cutterson”

Yeah, I don’t get the drama about Fallout 3 vis-a-vis it being unfaithful to the series and being ****. I mean, I reacted in quite the opposite way: I was like, “OMG I GOTTA HAVE THIS GAME” when I first saw the previews. So yeah, I don’t get the negative reaction at all. Log in to see images!

Actually, all this hatorade kinda disturbs me since even Wired News is ****ing about it. I shudder to think that’ll do to the general perception of this game… gah! Log in to see images! xXxJUNEGUY1xXx edited this message on 07/20/2008 12:47PM

Laguna

Avatar: 49898 Sun Dec 28 00:52:49 -0500 2008

Level 35 Troll

I LOVE LAGUNA. I ALSO LOVE SUCKING FAT male reproductive organS.

The negative reaction disgusts me.

Watched the trailer the other day and it has to be the best ****ing trailer I’ve seen for a while now

I’ve played Fallout 1 and 2 and I don’t see the third installment as being unfaithful to the series at all. It’s plain ridiculous…

People are ****ing idiots…

Veer

Avatar: 2059 Thu Nov 13 08:18:14 -0500 2008

[Team Shortbus]

Level 32 Troll

my only complaint is that you people are happy

They’re worried it’s going to betray the mature nature of Fallout and the whole blah blah blah I don’t care I should play Fallout sometime

Tarman

[Smooth Town Rebels]

Level 10 Troll

I AM IN NEED OF A GOOD DOUCHING SINCE I HAVE SAND IN MY VAG!!!!!

Doesn’t every big series have that happen?

Pluvius

Avatar: 10089 2010-01-24 16:29:03 -0500

[ClansRGay]

Level 69 Troll

“Human Yeast Infection”

Reading the subject line made me know you were either talking about NMA or RPG Codex. The specific mention of Fallout 3 instead of one of the Gothic games made me lean towards NMA, though rest bumured that RPG Codex has a huge fetish for Fallout and a mbumive bias against Bethesda too.

The gameplay in the trailer reminded me of Mbum Effect. That’s not such a horrible comparison, is it?

EDIT: From that Wired article: “The key problem with the game though is in the writing. It really feels like someone wrote a fanfic based on the Fallout universe and somehow got the funding to create a game based on it.”

You mean like Fallout 2?

Pluvius edited this message on 07/21/2008 5:39PM

Balloon

[Grey Goose Mafiosi]

Level 35 Camwhore

Inflate my ovaries until they pop out of me and float away

What, you’re surprised?

Whining is what humans do best. We’ll whine about anything! Ever see a superhero movie (avoiding Batman here) that didn’t **** someone off? It wasn’t true to the comics, or he never worse red in the cartoon, he’s claws don’t come out like that. Yeah, nevermind the fact that Wolverine couldn’t bend his wrists with claws like those… that makes sense.

So, really, you’re always going to find someone whine about a game or movie just because they can. ****in’ fanboys ruin it for us.

Draconos

Level 15 Troll

“Pain in the ASCII”

They should be happy they are even getitng another fallout. The game looks amazing and I was surprised that a third one was even being made when I first heard about it.

meeeeeeeeee

Avatar: 15443 2010-04-04 18:27:25 -0400

[Brainfreeze]

Level 35 Troll

Sneakily vicious and filled with virtuous pit bulls.

I recognise some of those attitudes, if not the actual people. They’re still bitter about what happened to the Ultima series, and are just carrying it with them for the rest of their lives.

Pluvius

Avatar: 10089 2010-01-24 16:29:03 -0500

[ClansRGay]

Level 69 Troll

“Human Yeast Infection”

Draconos Posted:

They should be happy they are even getitng another fallout. The game looks amazing and I was surprised that a third one was even being made when I first heard about it.

Well, part of the bitterness is that there actually was a Fallout 3 in development that was like the first two in every way, but Interplay canceled it as a desperation move after that company turned into **** and started hemorrhaging funds.

King Krimson

[Snobby McSnobbers-
ons
]

Level 69 Troll

Pluvius Posted:

From that Wired article: “The key problem with the game though is in the writing. It really feels like someone wrote a fanfic based on the Fallout universe and somehow got the funding to create a game based on it.”

I find this really rich. Sit down with the game for 30 minutes and expect to get a reasonable approximation of the writing. if the game is as big as they say it is, 30 minutes is hardly enough time to explore the entirety of megaton, let alone delve into every line of conversation.

“Hello there!” “Hello? HELLO? No one would say hello in this dark, depressing world! There’s no place for friendliness in a post apocalyptic wasteland! Argh argh gnash **** Bethesda!”

I’m just saying that until you can sit down with the game for a nice, long period, you should avoid making statements about game elements you’ve barely seen.

Lord Shplane

Avatar: 49819 Fri Dec 05 01:45:00 -0500 2008

[Forumwarz Speakeasy]

Level 69 Troll

:)

I found this game to look incredibly epic.

Amasius

Avatar: 21158 2015-06-13 23:07:57 -0400

[Brainfreeze]

Level 69 Troll

OMFG! It is MY bum!

I’m kinda sick of all the discussions about Bethesda and Fallout 3, we have done that way to often at the Codex. But if you are really interested why many old Fallout fans don’t trust Bethesda to deliver a proper sequel read this article at Twenty Sided, one of the best independent gaming blogs out there.

King Krimson

[Snobby McSnobbers-
ons
]

Level 69 Troll

The difference is, Shamus actually said that he would be willing to accept the game if it was any good, rather than damning it before it could push its way out of the womb. In addition to this, he has some valid points and argues them well, as opposed to yelling at the top of his lungs that Bethesda should go **** themselves for even looking in the general direction of Fallout.

I never said I didn’t have any misgivings about Fallout 3. Even though Oblivion is rated very highly in my book, it did have a ton of flaws, which I will not list here for fear of breaking the forums. I can see why people are apprehensive, but that doesn’t mean that they should abandon all decency and fling poo at anybody who even dares to suggest that Fallout 3 has the possibility to be good.

From my perspective, Bethesda seems to have learned a lot. Auto levelling, for one, has been pruned. It’s still there, but only in the main quest line. Sure, that’s not perfect, but it’s a hell of a lot better than what Oblivion had going on.

I think the major problem is the fact that the current Fallout 3 isn’t going to be ‘Van Buren’. Black Isle studios is gone, but nobody just seems to accept it. Maybe, just maybe, Fallout 3 will prove to be the Fallout game they wanted all along. If not, there’s always the rumour that Brian Fargo is developing the ‘spiritual sequel to Fallout’ to give them hope.

Anyway, whether it looks good or bad at this point doesn’t really matter a whole lot, as we’ve only seen a tiny, tiny portion of the game. All I really wanted to say was that the fans were being really, really negative, often due to minor quibbles (No child killing). It wouldn’t hurt for them to smile once in a while.

Amasius

Avatar: 21158 2015-06-13 23:07:57 -0400

[Brainfreeze]

Level 69 Troll

OMFG! It is MY bum!

While there are indeed some rabid and irrational Fallout fans out there you should be more cautious with such generalisations. Something Awful isn’t exactly a very impartial source to judge the fanbase. Have you read NMAs Fallout 3 preview? Very critical but certainly not written in blind fanaticism.

The hatred of the Fallout fans has interestingly developed a life of its own, there is a monstrous thread at Quarter To Three which is basically a NMA bashing for over 100 pages. Quite fascinating phenomenon.

I guess there are two main reasons for this:

1.) Roshambo. Roshambo was a former editor of NMA and the most impressive flamer I’ve ever had the pleasure to read on the internet. He offended lot’s of people and I guess these folks remember.

2.) The old Fallout fans aren’t Bethesdas target audience. Off course I’m only talking about the hardcore fans, many people who liked Fallout will also like Fallout 3, but Bethesda isn’t even denying any more that they develop more or less Oblivion with guns because that’s exactly what many people want and that’s what they are good at. The Fallouts and the Elder Scrolls series are quite different kinds of RPGs and Bethesdas games haven’t shown much of what made Fallout great: dark humor, excellent writing and choices with consequences. (The Dark Brotherhood questline in Oblivion was an exception and pretty good, but even there you normally don’t had choices that made any difference)

Games like Fallout – isometric with turnbased combat – are a dying breed, only a handful of Indie developers still make them and fans of this kind of gameplay are naturally disappointed when one of the greatest RPG series is now realtime/RTwP. Maybe Bethesda makes a great postapocalyptic RPG but a worthy successor of Fallout/F2? I really doubt it. There would be much less criticism if they wouldn’t call the game Fallout 3 but Fallout: XYZ.

All I can say is don’t fall for the hype. Bethesdas PR is often, like Shamus wrote, an outrageous lie. Oblivions Radiant AI – ha! I’m still laughing. Unfortunately there’ll be no demo to check the game out before buying it and there also aren’t many gaming journalists I trust nowadays.

King Krimson

[Snobby McSnobbers-
ons
]

Level 69 Troll

Hmm. I may have been a bit confrontational. The majority of Fallout fans may not be as bad as I thought, especially if most of them are like you. Calm and level-headed is the best way to make a point. Even so, NMA houses several specimens of liquid hate.

I’ve never been one to fall under the hype train, and Alone in the Dark conformed my suspicions of wildly enthusiastic PR. Nintendo’s ‘smile or we’ll kill you’ E3 conference left me a bit sour too. Point is, I only tend to believe what I can see with my own eyes, and Fallout 3 is looking okay so far. Colour me cautiously optimistic.

King Krimson edited this message on 08/03/2008 4:12PM

R3I

[Rei Rei Revolution]

Level 16 Troll

“Inflammatory Agent ”

It’s still a gritty post apocalyptic game with depressing yet inappropriately hilarious humor. What’s to complain about, really?

All the fallout fans I personally know are looking forward to it. I just bumume people posting in forums are lying out of their bumes about 50% of the time (at least) and discount everything anyone says when they don’t have solid reasons and examples to back it up.

Internet Delay Chat
Have fun playing!
To chat with other players, you must Join Forumwarz or Log In now!