Check out our blog!
Forumwarz is the first "Massively Single-Player" online RPG completely built around Internet culture.

You are currently looking at Flamebate, our community forums. Players can discuss the game here, strategize, and role play as their characters.

You need to be logged in to post and to see the uncensored versions of these forums.

Civil Discussion
Switch to Role-Playing Civil Discussion

Viewing a Post

OrsonScottCa-
rd

Avatar: 104768 2015-08-05 14:57:49 -0400

[Forumwarz Speakeasy]

Level 69 Hacker

Why do I keep coming back here

man-man Posted:

The distinction between macro and micro evolution is a false one; the only difference is the application of time.

man-man, I agree with most everything that you have said in this thread until now. However, macroevolution and microevolution are not identical, in that macroevolution, by all indications, moves in spurts while microevolution (adaptation) is a more consistent process of refinement. An oversimplified analogy: growth in humans from conception to adulthood is a fairly consistent process, with the exceptions of two major spurts (natal cellular differentiation and puberty) where the changes are dramatic in comparison. To state that growth is a singularly linear process would be discounting the abruptness of those two periods of change; likewise, stating that all evolution looks like microevolution discounts fossil record evidence that shows that many creatures stayed (mostly) static for tens of millions of years and then made (relatively) rapid transitions/divergences/etc.

That being said, I still think the biggest problem in this thread is confusion regarding the scientific use of the words “hypothesis”, “theory” and “law”. I’d say a full half of the disagreements could be resolved by agreeing on language.

Edit: grammar fail.

OrsonScottCard edited this message on 06/04/2010 8:49PM
Internet Delay Chat
Have fun playing!
To chat with other players, you must Join Forumwarz or Log In now!