Buy Official Merchandise!
Forumwarz is the first "Massively Single-Player" online RPG completely built around Internet culture.

You are currently looking at Flamebate, our community forums. Players can discuss the game here, strategize, and role play as their characters.

You need to be logged in to post and to see the uncensored versions of these forums.

Civil Discussion
Switch to Role-Playing Civil Discussion

Viewing a Post

man-man

Avatar: 156485 2010-01-24 16:36:14 -0500

[Harem and Sushi Bar]

Level 69 Hacker

Selfish fine upstanding member of society

grinsen Posted:

I am confused because you sound like someone who supports net neutrality, but this hope of yours seems to completely contradict that stance. You seem to be describing a situation in which customers of a certain ISP (let’s say Comcast for argument’s sake) exercise their rights as consumers to choose a competing company for service. That’s pure capitalism, the definition of a free market economy, and the antithesis of a governmental authority determining what services a corporation can offer its customers. Log in to see images!

It’s not that I’m against net neutrality, I’m just disgusted by the idea that the FCC has the authority to regulate bandwidth of any sort. They don’t. Congress does because it is able to regulate commerce, electronic or otherwise. Congress can impose whatever regulations they see fit upon Comcast or any other ISP; the electorate put them in power to make those decisions. The FCC is just a bureaucracy, outside of the sphere of public influence, and they don’t shouldn’t have the authority to make these decisions.

Current situation: They keep doing ****, a little at a time, and get away with it because there’s no big thing to point out. They take one tentative step at a time, boil the frog one degree at a time.

What I want to see, is a situation where more people are angry with them to the point where it becomes an issue. Whether that anger manifests by their choice of another ISP, or through their representation into legislation.

Excessive government regulation isn’t a good thing, but when a lot of people are facing a monopoly situation (only having one ISP available), putting limits on how that monopoly can exploit its position of power is exactly what government regulation is designed for. Protect the people from abusive business practices by wielding a little collective power.

The FCC vs Congress… **** man, I’m British, I don’t know or care exactly how your government works, I’m talking in terms of principle. Because the rest of the world, all too often, ends up copying what gets done in the States.

Internet Delay Chat
Have fun playing!
To chat with other players, you must Join Forumwarz or Log In now!