Check out our blog!
Forumwarz is the first "Massively Single-Player" online RPG completely built around Internet culture.

You are currently looking at Flamebate, our community forums. Players can discuss the game here, strategize, and role play as their characters.

You need to be logged in to post and to see the uncensored versions of these forums.

Civil Discussion
Switch to Role-Playing Civil Discussion

Viewing a Post

SoronTheBeast

Avatar: 159958 2010-01-24 16:32:03 -0500

[Brainfreeze]

Level 69 Hacker

There's your 3 BPs. Now stop ****ing whining about THIRTEEN CENTS you pathetic no-lifer. - Fran

I want to share this logic with you all since it was one of the major reasons why I become agnostic in the first place. If your reading this thread and don’t know what Pascal’s Wager is, well, this argument is a modification of it. In it, I make some bumumptions about God that others might not agree with. I except that, but it was my thinking at the time. I know the “you need faith to get into heaven” part of scriptures, but what are you going to do?

bumumptions:

1) God is all knowing.

2) People that do what God wants get into heaven.

3) God wants you to be good ONLY for the sake of being good.

Based on this, I knew that if I believed in God I would be good knowing that I would get into heaven. God would know this too. In fact, even if I thought I was good for the sake of doing good, GOD would know if I, subconsciously or otherwise, was really doing it to get into heaven. God would know better than I myself would know why I was doing what I was doing.

The only solution I saw to this dilemma was to really and truly stop believing in heaven. But even than, I would still be doing good because God wanted it. So, the only solution I saw was to also stop believing in God.

At which point I convinced myself to being a good person for Humanist reasons. I know this is flawed because I still might subconsciously believe in God. I have spend most of my life after that point embracing materialism, so at this point I really don’t care what God thinks, because I don’t believe in Him.

Also, I hate when theists try to use Pascal’s Wager.

Anyway, at this point in my life I have a plethora of reasons to be agnostic and not a theist of any kind, but this is how I started down that road.

Soron’s Wager: To be a good Christian, you have to not believe in God.

Edit: Hmm… now that I’ve written it out, it does look a little circular….. Well, not the not believing in God part, the still being a good person part.

Internet Delay Chat
Have fun playing!
To chat with other players, you must Join Forumwarz or Log In now!