Check out our blog!
Forumwarz is the first "Massively Single-Player" online RPG completely built around Internet culture.

You are currently looking at Flamebate, our community forums. Players can discuss the game here, strategize, and role play as their characters.

You need to be logged in to post and to see the uncensored versions of these forums.

Civil Discussion
Switch to Role-Playing Civil Discussion

Viewing a Post

plk

Avatar: 9972 2010-01-24 16:28:42 -0500

[Brainfreeze]

Level 69 Emo Kid

“The Infinite Sadness”

Yuuka Umeko Posted:

Why does everything in the game, refer to the main character (Us) as guys…? Some of us, surprisingly or not are actually girls and I don’t mind being called dude and all that by NPCs and the game! But with all the male terms, It makes me feel segregated…Sort of like how government dogreat timesents refer to people including female authorities with male terms! Log in to see images!

Well, I have to tell you that as someone who just wrote stuff for the upcoming episode that the player, as you appear in chats with characters, isn’t definitively male or female. I asked and clarified and we talked about this, kind of a lot.

Personally, I don’t see anything in the world wrong with game developers defining a main character’s gender as male or whatever works best in the universe they created and just going with it. But it’s tricky in this game because your character name and avatar can be anything from extremely feminine to extremely masculine and having the character you’re chatting with call you by the “wrong” gender just looks wrong. So, like JB said, we tried to make sure that you aren’t defined as male, unless it’s somehow part of the character you’re talking with’s schtick to do that.

Maybe they weren’t as careful with that in Episode 1, but I still don’t really see the big problem. The overall tone or voice of Player 1 is fairly masculine (and smart and sarcastic), but that doesn’t make the character a boy. Since the focus of the conversation is on the NPC, not the player’s reaction, it doesn’t seem like the best use of resources to me to write multiple versions of each conversation just so that you can react a little more girly if you want. So what we did was that we tried to keep it relatively neutral. I guess you’ll have to see if that worked.

plk edited this message on 10/12/2009 11:26PM
Internet Delay Chat
Have fun playing!
To chat with other players, you must Join Forumwarz or Log In now!