Buy Official Merchandise!
Forumwarz is the first "Massively Single-Player" online RPG completely built around Internet culture.

You are currently looking at Flamebate, our community forums. Players can discuss the game here, strategize, and role play as their characters.

You need to be logged in to post and to see the uncensored versions of these forums.

Civil Discussion
Switch to Role-Playing Civil Discussion

Viewing a Post

MC Banhammer

Avatar: 1887 2011-07-31 00:40:59 -0400

[Good Omens]

Level 69 Troll

Trying to create drama to drum up the ratings by any means necessary!

TUBSWEETIE Posted:

every person is of value but the ludicrous amount of attention society gives to celebs is concerning.

When it comes to tabloids and non-tabloid articles about their likes and dislikes, I agree with you.

When it comes to mourning their deaths, though — while hundreds of thousands of people die daily, almost none of them have a direct impact on any given individual’s life. Celebrities, though, have an impact on thousands or even millions of people’s lives, because the celebrities brought something to those people, whether they knew them personally or not.

The pitchman dies, meaning I’ll never again be able to enjoy watching him advertise something. The musician dies, meaning I’ll never get to enjoy new music that he might have produced. The actress dies, meaning I’ll never be able to watch her act in another movie. These are things which impact me directly (to various degrees).

But 3000 people dying in a country I’m never going to visit? While that’s much more horrible from a humanitarian point of view, the direct impact on my life is nil.

Hence, mourning celebrities, but not unknowns, despite the numbers.

Internet Delay Chat
Have fun playing!
To chat with other players, you must Join Forumwarz or Log In now!