Buy Official Merchandise!
Forumwarz is the first "Massively Single-Player" online RPG completely built around Internet culture.

You are currently looking at Flamebate, our community forums. Players can discuss the game here, strategize, and role play as their characters.

You need to be logged in to post and to see the uncensored versions of these forums.

Civil Discussion
Switch to Role-Playing Civil Discussion

Viewing a Post

Acid Flux

Avatar: 6767 Tue Mar 17 11:41:54 -0400 2009

[Country Kitchen an-
d Flea Market
]

Level 35 Troll

KYOUBAI IS SUPER-SERIOUS BUSINESS

Shii Posted:

Except that’s exactly what they are trying to do. While it hasn’t gained acceptance, they’re trying to force churches to be unable to reject gay couples for marriage.

Where? I haven’t seen this anywhere except in the extreme fringe. Private institutions can choose to exclude anyone they want. Churches are no different. So long as they aren’t receiving any subsidization from the government, then they can choose to exclude anyone they want, for any reason they want. I haven’t seen any gay pride marches demanding to be married in a particular church or temple. They’re demanding to be allowed to hold their own, legally binding ceremonies.

In fact, your argument that gays would ‘sue a church’ for the right to be married within that church is kind of ridiculous. Do excommunicated individuals ever successfully sue a church to be married within?

Additionally, as far as the ‘ownership’ of the word marriage… how utterly ridiculous. Arguing a point based on the origin of a word is such a flawed concept that we actually have a term for it: etymological fallacy. Additionally, arguing that the concept is unique to a specific religion is belittling to anyone outside that religion. I have as much right, as a Diest, to be joined in holy union with my wife, as you would, as a Christian, to be joined in holy union with your wife. Therefore, the point that marriage is specifically religious is null & void. If people from any religion can be married, then people from all religions (including those that express no specific religion, or couples that have two different religions, such as my wife & I) can be married. And therefore, the specific tenets of any one religion cannot be applied to all marriages. Now, whether or not such a marriage is recognized by a specific church is completely a separate issue. What matters is whether or not the marriage is recognized by the state.

TL;DR: Marriage is not inherently a ‘religious institution’, because people from any/all/no religion may legally be married. Therefore, no specific religious tenets can supersede any other’s, and should not be applied to marriages in general.

Internet Delay Chat
Have fun playing!
To chat with other players, you must Join Forumwarz or Log In now!