Check out our blog!
Forumwarz is the first "Massively Single-Player" online RPG completely built around Internet culture.

You are currently looking at Flamebate, our community forums. Players can discuss the game here, strategize, and role play as their characters.

You need to be logged in to post and to see the uncensored versions of these forums.

Civil Discussion
Switch to Role-Playing Civil Discussion

Viewing a Post

Jalapeno Boo-
tyhole

Avatar: 44 2012-11-06 12:31:55 -0500

[Crotch Zombie]

Level 44 Emo Kid

I had the first bum avatar.

Samildanach Posted:

I’d say there’s pretty much no way to be absolutely certain that players are playing it straight, but CZ can at least claim due diligence if they require the sort of evidence they’re requesting on top of getting players to agree that all submitted works are free for use.

True. For the most part we’re looking for images that are obviously copywritten, and if the player should choose to set up a dummy page that hosts one or two images, claiming that they’re “public domain,” I think it will look pretty obvious. We can’t protect against all such behavior, but by allowing users to flag suspicious content, we think it will discourage the majority of these kinds of shenanigans.

Fortunato Posted:

Conversely, there’s a second possibility too: someone in second place re-hosts first place on say, myspace and slaps a tag on it when they’re losing, and suddenly, wham, that first place image is out of the running.

That’s an interesting one. I must not have a devious enough mind, because I can honestly say I would have never thought that. I really doubt any user would be that desperate, but I suppose anything is possible. Fortunately, most public domain images hosted on reputable sites tend to have a certain “flavor” to them, and you can usually tell whether or not they’re legit just by comparing them to similar images. This is all very experimental, of course, so if weird, dishonest crap like this keeps happening, I suppose we’ll have to reconsider our stance once again.

Jimbobbowilly Posted:

Someone needs to throw an image attribution thing on the item. As far as I know all of the Creative Commons licenses and suchlike require attribution, it’d widen our opportunities with itembuildr immensely.

If it’s a Creative Commons image, then the idea is we’ll include its attribution where it appears in stores, so that it’s easy to track. The challenge is going to be how we get users to flag any given item as Creative Commons. I suppose we could have a check box or something, which is a bit ugly, but probably necessary. When Crotch Zombie uploads images to our own servers, we have to go through these hoops, so we may as well saddle our users with this burden as well.

Internet Delay Chat
Have fun playing!
To chat with other players, you must Join Forumwarz or Log In now!