Buy Brownie Points
Forumwarz is the first "Massively Single-Player" online RPG completely built around Internet culture.

You are currently looking at Flamebate, our community forums. Players can discuss the game here, strategize, and role play as their characters.

You need to be logged in to post and to see the uncensored versions of these forums.

Civil Discussion
Switch to Role-Playing Civil Discussion

Viewing a Post

Jalapeno Boo-
tyhole

Avatar: 44 2012-11-06 12:31:55 -0500

[Crotch Zombie]

Level 44 Emo Kid

I had the first bum avatar.

Lester Burnham Posted:

Sure I was a mod, but honestly the only thing I picked up there was a good idea of what qualified as shock and what would slide through. The lines of what is ok and what is not were blurry at best even for the mods. Most days there were IMs, e-mails or forums posts from all of us wondering about some offense or near offense. That is beside the point, I’m not a mod, I’m a player and have been a player longer. I didn’t submit anything during the logo-a-thon, but as a player I don’t like the idea that there is a possibility of being banned for something I had no idea wasn’t legal. I might know it’s stupid or not intended, but much like the thing where spam tubmailing wasn’t said to be illegal and was suddenly punishable without warning, it is upsetting.

I get the dupe thing, although it’s weird when it is duping your own. (Damn wacky kids.) But, how could someone know that it is ok to submit a joke logo/forum/style/whatever sometimes, but if they submit over a certain number it is a problem?

It’s like leaving out a bowl of cookies in a room full of toddlers and expecting to come back and find that everyone only took one. I don’t want to be argumentative for the sake of being argumentative, I never think there is a point to that, but I do think that it is a silly thing to expect gamers to police themselves and not try to game the system if the system allows for it. It is the nature of the beast. If there is a loophole it will be found and abused. It goes on weekly in Forumbuildr, legally in a very “I’m only using the mechanics as designed” sort of way. The same mechanics that allowed today’s logo fest allow forum spamming every single week. It is not as noticeable since a wall of text just takes more to deal with than a picture. I don’t have a suggestion to help fix it, but I can’t help but feel that it is a damn shame since being able to get involved in creating part of the game is so unique and it would be really cool if it wasn’t so open to abuse.

I’m not necessarily disagreeing with you, but the only people who got tempbanned indeed resubmitted duplicate entries of other characters’ submissions. That’s illegal, full stop. No teeth-gnashing needed.

Okay, when I said I’d let a “joke entry” slide, it’s only because historically it has been someone wasting their buildr credits to make a terrible entry, which would then be obviously downvoted all to hell. It isn’t purposely disruptive, and more importantly, no users have ever complained about that — unlike what happened with this situation. (Yes, a couple of users are complaining that people were tempbanned, but I’d say that’s apples and oranges.) Once again, please note that we didn’t ban for “joke entries.” We did, however, remove the entries from forumbuildr.

Regarding abuse: Are you talking about people repeating their own non-winning entries from the previous week’s build? Or people ripping off other people’s entries and getting away with it? Because as far as I know, the former may be frustrating but it’s legal — if you’re saying it’s “cheap” and you should only be able to submit each idea once, then I’m not sure people would think that’s fair, but you’re free to try to rally the troops. As for the latter, we’ve banned for it, we will always ban for it, but we rely on users to bring it to our attention because we don’t read each entry.

To tell you the truth, I’m still bewildered about the point of this exercise and what the outcome was supposed to be. At this point, I’m bumuming it’s some kind of vague frustration over…something. At the risk of sounding naive, would anyone on the inside care to explain it to me?

Internet Delay Chat
Have fun playing!
To chat with other players, you must Join Forumwarz or Log In now!